The bigshot

we have to compare apple to apple and orange to orange ma. Photography to photograpy. Bowling to Plumbing?? Totally 2 different worlds. At least ""Wedding Photograpy"" and ""Still Life photography"" still have got a word ""photography"" in common. LOL

Apple fruit and orange fruit also fruits. :bsmilie: I don't think you get my point, like that I change plumbing to soccer lor. Then both involve balls. :bsmilie:

The two genres are so different... You can just link it with the word like that... Like that based on your logic, boiling WATER and whiteWATER rafting are quite similar, hor? Or eat SNAKE and SNAKE charming? All got a word in common leh. :bsmilie: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
well, i will still give Caleb the benefit of doubt.
At least he can handle a camera, managed to get reasonably sharp image, composition wise still able to survive the first test, [though somebody might not like all the pictures taken by all the participants].
From what i read previously about the accusations on him, does not seem quite fit what he has done as mentioned above. He was using a Nikon too previously. The focusing can't be that bad as compared to now, ya? Unless you guys imply that Nikon focusing is only good for immobile objects. LOL
Have you shot wedding photography, or thought about what it encompasses?

Immobile objects sit there, wait for photographer to walk around, see the angle, then shoot. Can take his time, wait for the light to be right, can even move the object sometimes.

You can do that to participants in a wedding? :bsmilie: During the banquet, see the groom's mother laughing with a friend, tell them "STOP STOP STOP, wait" then carry them into good lighting area, then say "Ok carry on"? :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Apple fruit and orange fruit also fruits. :bsmilie: I don't think you get my point, like that I change plumbing to soccer lor. Then both involve balls. :bsmilie:

The two genres are so different... You can just link it with the word like that... Like that based on your logic, boiling WATER and whiteWATER rafting are quite similar, hor? Or eat SNAKE and SNAKE charming? All got a word in common leh. :bsmilie: :thumbsup:

LOL, you are right. All can link hor. No lah, my profession is not photographer, just amateur only.
But frankly, even different genre, focusing should be able to be handled 90% by camera body itself right? IMHO. He could hv missed out the faces but focusing, with a high end Nikon body, should be quite foolproof ma.

Last edited:
This shows that using high-end doesnt means it will be more foolproof.

LOL, you are right. All can link hor. No lah, my profession is not photographer, just amateur only.
But frankly, even different genre, focusing should be able to be handled 90% by camera body itself right? IMHO. He could hv missed out the faces but focusing, with a high end Nikon body, should be quite foolproof ma.

Have you shot wedding photography, or thought about what it encompasses?

Immobile objects sit there, wait for photographer to walk around, see the angle, then shoot. Can take his time, wait for the light to be right, can even move the object sometimes.

You can do that to participants in a wedding? :bsmilie: During the banquet, see the groom's mother laughing with a friend, tell them "STOP STOP STOP, wait" then carry them into good lighting area, then say "Ok carry on"? :bsmilie:
very simple, you can always ask the groom's mother: "hello auntie, can you laugh again? just now that shot you blink."

and you can always ask the groom kiss the bride again: "hello groom, can you kiss your bride again, I miss the kissing, this time can kiss long long, until I say cut...... can?

I did not see all the pictures but I don't think the size posted by the bride/groom in that case was large enough to identify any focusing problems, from my faint memory..

This shows that using high-end doesnt means it will be more foolproof.

no, what i mean is technically, with a more capable body with better focusing capabilities, the chances of error would be slim, even under a very mobile situation like wedding. If a camera body can handle genre like Sports, dont see why it can't handle wedding.
Otherwise, why would Nikon, Canon ....etc keep on improving their AF system? it is meant to reduce the workload of photog, to make it closer to foolproof [note that i used the word "quite'']

I did not see all the pictures but I don't think the size posted by the bride/groom in that case was large enough to identify any focusing problems, from my faint memory..

My faint memory was that out-of-focus shots was mentioned many times.

very simple, you can always ask the groom's mother: "hello auntie, can you laugh again? just now that shot you blink."

and you can always ask the groom kiss the bride again: "hello groom, can you kiss your bride again, I miss the kissing, this time can kiss long long, until I say cut...... can?

Sometimes can la, sometimes the moment is really spontaneous and you can never pose it back again.. :)

My faint memory was that out-of-focus shots was mentioned many times.

Well, another possible reason could be that he tried using shallower DOF for the wedding shots, less margin for error.

Anyways, my point is that, it is just one episode (I think, I was looking at the Facebook page), maybe wait for a few more episodes before you pass any hasty judgement, no? Besides, you might note that he never ever spoke up for himself despite being around.

pro grade cameras sure can make ones look very pro, but pro grade camera do not make ones a competent photographer.

no, what i mean is technically, with a more capable body with better focusing capabilities, the chances of error would be slim, even under a very mobile situation like wedding. If a camera body can handle genre like Sports, dont see why it can't handle wedding.
Otherwise, why would Nikon, Canon ....etc keep on improving their AF system? it is meant to reduce the workload of photog, to make it closer to foolproof [note that i used the word "quite'']

heh..when u got the chance..maybe u want to try to shoot a full wedding and experience it. as a bystander , things might looks easy..

Last edited:
let me say again,

whatever happen between Caleb and the wedding couple, is between them,

you want to find out more, best is talk to them in private, no point making any wild guess here. we don't really know what is happening.

the wedding couple decide not to bring this issue into forum, we should respect their decision,

I don't understand why you bring this up again,

if you keep digging into this issue, I will lock this thread and give you a red card.

No prior experience, dun gagalai act sibeh ehsai n cover as main photographer.

Gain relevant experience as a 2nd or even 3rd photographer first.

Anyway, bigshot3 isn't abt caleb only. Can we stop talking abt him n his past n jus tok abt the show?

Cheers!

I'm totally lost about this whole thing about caleb and wedding. I went to the big shot site, I only see still life genre shots.

pro grade cameras sure can make ones look very pro, but pro grade camera do not make ones a competent photographer.

ok, lets talk about bigshot3, which is also somehow related to camera [Nikon].
Pro grade camera does make a photographer life easier, though you are right that it will not [alone] make him a competent photographer.
And that is why manufacturers, like Nikon, are constantly trying to improve the user-friendliness of their camera, regardless of whether pro grade or entry level. The objective is to assist the photog, enable him to get his job done with less effort, hopefully. It is part of the equation to competency.
In a way, bigshot is showcasing how a better camera can better assist the photog in achieving his objectives. You can say it is a sale gimmick but it is trying to put across the message that pro grade does help. Which means a better camera does help. Do you still see wedding photog still use a fm2?

I'm totally lost about this whole thing about caleb and wedding. I went to the big shot site, I only see still life genre shots.

we are talking about bigshot, and about how Caleb performs in it. Forget about the wedding portion for now.:D

I hv to add that not all Pro will choose the most expensive camera though. After all, Pro = Business = $/cents still the bottomline. Pro will choose the best for their genre, which not be necessarily the most expensive. Of course, some Pro might really need the highest end model if their job nature really requires it. I think those Pro understand what i mean.

It is a different story for rich amateur. They hv the freedom to choose the state-of-the art = most expensive or to experiment with antique like fm2, without worrying that the slow manual focusing might cost them their job. LOL

Once, Sam from CP ever told me that he realises that Pro seldom buy the D4 or 1Dx blah, blah, blah. He said usually it is the amateurs who bought them. LOL

ok, lets talk about bigshot3, which is also somehow related to camera [Nikon].
Pro grade camera does make a photographer life easier, though you are right that it will not [alone] make him a competent photographer.
And that is why manufacturers, like Nikon, are constantly trying to improve the user-friendliness of their camera, regardless of whether pro grade or entry level. The objective is to assist the photog, enable him to get his job done with less effort, hopefully. It is part of the equation to competency.
In a way, bigshot is showcasing how a better camera can better assist the photog in achieving his objectives. You can say it is a sale gimmick but it is trying to put across the message that pro grade does help. Which means a better camera does help. Do you still see wedding photog still use a fm2?

Aiyo, let's not beat the dead horse la.

Of course pro grade can do more la. If not people pay so much for what.. But whether most of the people who use them actually need it or maximize the camera is another thing..