Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical Field Test

hmm... Uncle Fai.... did you ask the tech person is it a common problem??.... cos prior to me getting this lens I did research extensively but did not come across the problem you are facing right now...

Go to, for example:

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/tamron_18_270mm_lens_for_nikon/

Then on that webpage search for "lock" and you will see many reporting this issue. But seems like confined to the Nikon D90 - though that cannot be confirmed.

Just for fun, I was out for a macro shooting and also brought along this lens.
Spotted this little beauty high up and decided to switch from my macro to the 18-270 for a test shoot. This fellow was up in a leaf quite high up.

Picture was heavily cropped but still, results are pretty good!

eggfly.jpg

Close up magnification is not so good though. Dunno why @ 270mm with a short MFD, the magnification is sooo low :(

Just for fun, I was out for a macro shooting and also brought along this lens.
Spotted this little beauty high up and decided to switch from my macro to the 18-270 for a test shoot. This fellow was up in a leaf quite high up.

Picture was heavily cropped but still, results are pretty good!

eggfly.jpg

Close up magnification is not so good though. Dunno why @ 270mm with a short MFD, the magnification is sooo low :(

good shot.. ;)... seems like you like your new toy.. :)

Is this lens (Tamron AF 18-270mm ) available with an adapter and fully compatible for the Sony SLT-A55 ?

I know Sony has her own (18-250mm) lens which some say is also made by Tamron. Is that true ?

Thanks !

:cool:

I just bought this lens a while ago. Kinda liked it.
Just want to check do you guys encounter issues where the lens stopped focusing. You will need to dismount and mount back the lens to get it back into focus?

hi, can this lens (TAMRON) be used for Nikon D50?

I just bought this lens a while ago. Kinda liked it.
Just want to check do you guys encounter issues where the lens stopped focusing. You will need to dismount and mount back the lens to get it back into focus?
so far no issues on my canon 550D. But previous pages states it seems having problem with D90.

hi guys i just bought this lens yesterday im using 500d, i just tested it last night and so far im satisfied with it i hope i won't encounter problems anyway thanks for the feedbacks it really helped me decide to buy it :) cheers!

My tests on my Nikon Tammy (plus trying photo posting for the first time...)

Tamron 18-270mm on D90 @ 18mm. ISO 200, f/8, 4sec, tripod, VC off. Resized by Photoshop CS4. RAW opened "As shot, default".

Tamron 18-270mm on D90 @ 270mm. ISO 200, f/8, 4sec, tripod, VC off. Resized by Photoshop CS4. RAW opened "As shot, default".

Tamron 18-270mm on Kenko 2x teleconverter on D90 @ 270mm. ISO 200, f/8, 1/3sec, tripod, VC off. Resized by Photoshop CS4. RAW opened "As shot, default". (Info may be a bit off - with the teleconverter, EXIF info not accurately captured.)

My tests on my Nikon Tammy (plus trying photo posting for the first time...)

Tamron 18-270mm on D90 @ 18mm. ISO 200, f/8, 4sec, tripod, VC off. Resized by Photoshop CS4. RAW opened "As shot, default".
Cool, you stay at Tiong Bahru? Should be very near Tiong Bahru MRT Station from what i see. hee

Hi all,

My first post in the forum... so pls bear with me! :p

I bought my Tamron lens today and I really had a lot of fun taking photos with it... however I notice that the lens' zoom isnt tight enough.. When I placed my camera facing towards the ceiling and zoomed (270mm) onto the lights, the lens will slip and slide back towards the 18mm and vice versus. I had to physically hold onto the lens to prevent it from turning...

Is this normal? I suspect something is wrong with the turning mechanism, maybe there should be more friction?

Hope to hear your invaluable advice! :)

Hi all,

My first post in the forum... so pls bear with me! :p

I bought my Tamron lens today and I really had a lot of fun taking photos with it... however I notice that the lens' zoom isnt tight enough.. When I placed my camera facing towards the ceiling and zoomed (270mm) onto the lights, the lens will slip and slide back towards the 18mm and vice versus. I had to physically hold onto the lens to prevent it from turning...

Is this normal? I suspect something is wrong with the turning mechanism, maybe there should be more friction?

Hope to hear your invaluable advice! :)

I'm a Tamron 18-270 owner. I too experience it on my lens.

Yes, it is normal. This phenomenon is known as zoom creep or lens creep. It's caused by the weight of the glass. Most if not all superzooms are affected by this. :)

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply...

I went back to the shop and the salesperson explained it to me as well.

Did you notice the taut while zooming? Especially during the 180mm-270mm range? it loosened after i played with the lens... :bsmilie:

Thank you for the reply...

I went back to the shop and the salesperson explained it to me as well.

Did you notice the taut while zooming? Especially during the 180mm-270mm range? it loosened after i played with the lens... :bsmilie:

Do post some photos from your new lens and share with us......:thumbsup:

new version of this lens announced

The World's Lightest, Smallest 15x Zoom*, with Tamron's First PZD (Piezo Drive)

http://www.tamron.com/en/photolens/di_II_all_in_one/b008.html

notice the PZD at the back of thhe name, supposedly to have better AF

"an innovative ultrasonic autofocus motor based on an advanced piezoelectric design. The result is a lens that's considerably lighter, and noticeably shorter and slimmer (filter diameter: 62mm) than any previous lens in its class, and provides faster, quieter auto-focusing."

yeah and amazon are already accepting pre-orders for US$649.00(S$850)...
http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-18-270...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1291973049&sr=8-2

ho hum... just when i was finally decided on buying the tamron 18-270 they go and produce a new one(albeit with better autofocus?)... need to wait for the reviews to come out and hopefully the prices to go down...;)