Spot Focusing - Will overusing it spoil the sensor at that spot?

the focus command will come from the camera's electronics, but the optical focussing of the light rays is done by the lens - the sensor captures the light as directed on it by the focussing of the various lens elements, and process them to give us the picture file

Yes, we all know this, it's the whole point of having a lens. Nevertheless, it is the camera body that tells the lens how to focus, in what direction, by how much. For mechanically driven lenses, it's not even up to the lens - the camera body directly manipulates the focusing elements in the lens.

the focus command will come from the camera's electronics, but the optical focussing of the light rays is done by the lens - the sensor captures the light as directed on it by the focussing of the various lens elements, and process them to give us the picture file
And? Where did I dispute this point? TS question was about the AF sensor as starting point of the focusing activity. I merely added (and also based on your comment) that the AF sensors and the CPU in the camera do the focusing job. The lens just gets the final 'kick' into right direction.

i agree - its the camera's electronics that directs the lens - it tells the lens what to do, and the lens does it - i am not arguing on that point and i am fully with you...

TS talked about spot focusing and effect on the sensor - the way i read it was that he seemed to think the sensor does the focusing, and i was just pointing it that it doesn't...