Sony NEX-6 (The "mini NEX-7" about to be announced soon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Atarandas said:
I think the fundamental question is ... do you need a flash gun and for what purpose ? If the answer is yes and you are clear of what to use it for , then its just a matter when to buy it.

if its just a good to have thought , my experience is , you will seldom use the flash gun after buying it.

For portraits and some still lifes. Both on camera and wirelessly. My question is not about whether I want anot. Just want some opinions regarding ease of use (TTL or not), ergonomics (like maybe some bros here used nex7 with big flash but found it cumbersome or weird) and of course budget.

rev_zone said:
Never consider the handly flash HVL-F20AM? It's pretty light and if you got friend in HK can get it for S$120.

Considered, but thinking it might not be powerful for some use and it can't turn horizontally etc... seems gd as a wireless trigger thou. Does it trigger 3rd party slave flash in optical mode? Sry noob in flash photog here.

Considered, but thinking it might not be powerful for some use and it can't turn horizontally etc... seems gd as a wireless trigger thou. Does it trigger 3rd party slave flash in optical mode? Sry noob in flash photog here.

Any 3rd party optical flash can be triggered by any flash source. My tiny HVL-7S flash on the NEX 3 can trigger my Yongnuo-560N flash no problem. The pre-flash can be annoying for optical flash though.

You can also get wireless flash triggers.

Never consider the handly flash HVL-F20AM? It's pretty light and if you got friend in HK can get it for S$120.

You still need the adaptor with the 20, it uses the standard Minolta hotshoe, not the standard ISO hotshoe.

You still need the adaptor with the 20, it uses the standard Minolta hotshoe, not the standard ISO hotshoe.

And the question is, will 3rd party ISO to minolta adaptor only act as a "dumb" trigger to the minolta hotshoe flashes. Hope Original Sony adaptors allow Sony flashes to do ttl flash. If not, all flashes up to HVL-F58AM will be have decapitated features..

Having said that, I'm not too worried as I'm getting the hang of using flash in manual mode.

Last edited:
And the question is, will 3rd party ISO to minolta adaptor only act as a "dumb" trigger to the minolta hotshoe flashes. Hope Original Sony adaptors allow Sony flashes to do ttl flash. If not, all flashes up to HVL-F58AM will be have decapitated features..

Having said that, I'm not too worried as I'm getting the hang of using flash in manual mode.

Do you see the extra pins on the ISO adaptor, those allow all the extra functions... as long as the adaptor maps the pins on your older flash, everything should work... I don't know if anyone here has tried but I guess you could go to a Sony show room and try... just bring your own flash along lar... I'm also using the F20Am and the F58. Note that the F20AM is a dumb flash, no manual mode... just TTL... so I guess it should work in TTL mode...

Do you see the extra pins on the ISO adaptor, those allow all the extra functions... as long as the adaptor maps the pins on your older flash, everything should work... I don't know if anyone here has tried but I guess you could go to a Sony show room and try... just bring your own flash along lar... I'm also using the F20Am and the F58. Note that the F20AM is a dumb flash, no manual mode... just TTL... so I guess it should work in TTL mode...

Not all adaptor have 4 contact points. Mine have 1 contact point in the centre for the ISO mount side only.

greenieadi said:
Not all adaptor have 4 contact points. Mine have 1 contact point in the centre for the ISO mount side only.

What adapter is that? 3rd party? The centre contact point means it only receives/transmit the signal to fire right I.e. full manual flash?

What adapter is that? 3rd party? The centre contact point means it only receives/transmit the signal to fire right I.e. full manual flash?

Minolta/Sony iISO hotshoe have contact points, F1 - Sync/Trigger Flash, F2 - Ready, F3 - TTL Ok, G - Ground.

The new hotshoe is term Multi Interface Shoe and have 21+3 pinout.

From wikipedia it mentions ".. and while it does not allow to control third-party flashes, ISO-based flashes can be triggered the least"

Standard ISO hotshoe have one contact point.

Bottom
dicflaada1200_2.jpg

dicflaada1200_3.jpg

Last edited:
Minolta/Sony iISO hotshoe have contact points, F1 - Sync/Trigger Flash, F2 - Ready, F3 - TTL Ok, G - Ground.

The new hotshoe is term Multi Interface Shoe and have 21+3 pinout.

From wikipedia it mentions ".. and while it does not allow to control third-party flashes, ISO-based flashes can be triggered the least"

Standard ISO hotshoe have one contact point.

Bottom
dicflaada1200_2.jpg

dicflaada1200_3.jpg

Is this the correct one we should be getting?

Hot Shoe Adapter YH-H3 Flashgun Trigger Connector For Konica Minolta Dynax Sony | eBay

Is it a need to get filter to protect the lens? How abt dry cabinet?

good to have. to me, if i've spend $1k + for camera and $$$ on lens... why not just get a dry cabinet $1xx. dry cabinet can last u for yrs... mine almost 4yrs. or u can go with dry box . troublesome about dry box is that u need to keep changing the silica gel.

For me, getting a filter for the lens is like getting a phone protector/case for your phone. Some ppl needs it, some ppl likes it, some ppl will absolutely never ever wants it/use it while there are some that hates it. Only you can answer your own needs.

Ps. We havent even gone into types of filters and brands... so, lets not go there... a search in the forum will tell you alot about the filters...

good to have. to me, if i've spend $1k + for camera and $$$ on lens... why not just get a dry cabinet $1xx. dry cabinet can last u for yrs... mine almost 4yrs. or u can go with dry box . troublesome about dry box is that u need to keep changing the silica gel.

For me, getting a filter for the lens is like getting a phone protector/case for your phone. Some ppl needs it, some ppl likes it, some ppl will absolutely never ever wants it/use it while there are some that hates it. Only you can answer your own needs.

Ps. We havent even gone into types of filters and brands... so, lets not go there... a search in the forum will tell you alot about the filters...

Thanks guys for your replies! Been using a PnS camera for years, my first interchangable lens camera, very excited with my new toy! =) May i know whats the basic filter i should get to protect my dual kit lens? Did a search but im totally clueless... heee;p

Thanks guys for your replies! Been using a PnS camera for years, my first interchangable lens camera, very excited with my new toy! =) May i know whats the basic filter i should get to protect my dual kit lens? Did a search but im totally clueless... heee;p

To get you started....
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/newbies-corner/803029-newbie-guide-filters.html

There are others...

you need a Polarizing Filter to protect your lens, ND10 stop for doing star bursts and UV filter to deepen the colors of the daytime skies and to cut reflections :)

HTH

:bsmilie:

kei1309 said:
you need a Polarizing Filter to protect your lens, ND10 stop for doing star bursts and UV filter to deepen the colors of the daytime skies and to cut reflections :)

HTH

*facepalm*

HTH

Yes, yes. It's all true. I have all these filters on all my lenses so I get protection, star burst, deeper sky colours and reflection removal at the same time. Crever rite?

Agree with you. One whole setup if already cost 2K then why not spend 10-15% for maintenance and keep it in tip top condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.