Singapore a Great Nation....

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's because you're 6.5 feet tall and don't carry your big dslr around. :bsmilie:

:bigeyes: where did you get my info from

don't believe what some of the members say.. :devil:

as of today, i have been to many different countries, singapore is one of the few where i can walk around at 2 am and feel 100% safe.

if that isn't an achievement, i don't know what is.

You go to a hospital and change yourself into a XMM and try to walk around at 2am here.

See got shooters hassel you for TFCD or not? :bsmilie:

You go to a hospital and change yourself into a XMM and try to walk around at 2am here.

See got shooters hassel you for TFCD or not? :bsmilie:

...like what, changi hospital and walk around changi boardwalk ar :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Many 'Ang Moh' including their leaders like to say'... Use to hear them over BBC..

'I love my country. It is a great nation...'

Do you ever hear this by a Singaporean. Our leaders also do not do it....

Are we a GREAT NATION?

Whatever gave you such an idea? Or at least, caused you to ask such a question?

you know, the same goes for america

europe

Not the Europe I grew up in, and not the America I lived in for several years. If anything, I have to admit that my perception may be biased due to the press here where alternate views concerning non-trivial things may not be adequately reported. But this self-censorship would just confirm the misguided sense of patriotism (unless it's really just due to fear).

I.e., the self-chosen role of the press here is to unconditionally support the government. The role of the press in Europe and the US is largely to uncover government ****-ups.

edit: You can see the same sense of self-censorship here in Clubsnap, where one cannot even post a completely non-offending alternative word for "rooster".

Last edited:
Being able to walk safely at 2 am is not the distinguishing point of a great nation.

If it was, north korea could become a great nation.

It's not about the crime rate.

It's also not about how often utility charges are raised or how often bus fares are tweaked.

Neither is it about having many -hubs or -polis. Or world-class this or world-class that.

Or having the best airport in the world. Or the busiest harbour in the world.

Being a great nation is not about having the largest land area, the largest economy or the mightiest military power.

If it was based on such quantitive criteria, the greatness of nations would just be a ranking by size, eoconomy or military power.

But a small country like Israel can be a great nation.

On the other hand, a powerful country like China can be not a great nation.

Think about it.

there is no utility country in the world that doesn't make profit..

maybe those in africa :devil:

as of today, i have been to many different countries, singapore is one of the few where i can walk around at 2 am and feel 100% safe.

if that isn't an achievement, i don't know what is.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if we're living in the same universe. As I perceive it, Singapore (both population and leaders) tirelessly boast about their achievements, worlds-class this, -hub and -polis that, and other countries (supposedly including Russia) are eagerly sucking up Singapore's infinite wisdom and grandiosity.

There are many good things about Singapore, but they are so hyped up that the not-so-good things that could need improvement are overlooked and ignored. Or, attempts at pointing out weak spots are considered unpatriotic and are countered by fake arguments like "go elsewhere if you don't like it", "but we have world class this or that". This selective perception and fanatic nationalism stifle further development. If people were not so busy patting their own backs and brown-nosing their leaders, they might actually have time to see and work on some of the remaining problems.

Humility certainly is not one of the attributes I'd associate with Singapore.

good points raised. :thumbsup:

but we've little control how & wad foreign media chooses to report. not that they're reporting half truth about our tiny country but i think they'll not want to be sued like some who got their pockets burnt... :devil:

Being able to walk safely at 2 am is not the distinguishing point of a great nation.

i don't consider israel a great nation in any sense of the word; and i think china will soon be considered a great nation by anyone and everyone.

and i never said singapore was a great nation; i just said that it was better than many other places that its inhibitants love to compare it to. :) but there are compromises, and i said that.

what is being great? to be honest, how does it matter to anyone?

i don't consider israel a great nation in any sense of the word; and i think china will soon be considered a great nation by anyone and everyone.

and i never said singapore was a great nation; i just said that it was better than many other places that its inhibitants love to compare it to. :) but there are compromises, and i said that.

uh oh rant alert
RANT ALERT
INCOMING....

Not the Europe I grew up in, and not the America I lived in for several years. If anything, I have to admit that my perception may be biased due to the press here where alternate views concerning non-trivial things may not be adequately reported. But this self-censorship would just confirm the misguided sense of patriotism (unless it's really just due to fear).

I.e., the self-chosen role of the press here is to unconditionally support the government. The role of the press in Europe and the US is largely to uncover government ****-ups.

edit: You can see the same sense of self-censorship here in Clubsnap, where one cannot even post a completely non-offending alternative word for "rooster".

i'm not exactly sure if you're being very fair here; there is no doubt much more liberalism in the press here in europe; and definitely in the us - but i have to disagree with your view that the press here unconditionally supports the government. it is a sweeping statement that can be easily debunked by the quotation of many articles which disprove your point.

i am actually of the view that singapore is an equal mix like anywhere else; we have the national day temporary believers, same as anywhere else, we have the real heartlanders, we also have the people who have gone overseas - half of which love singapore even more as a result, and the other half will just leave forever.

in the end, it's all the same -that's my point; there is no reason to try to force a slant when every population everywhere is equally diverse. even in a propaganda-filled society like examples we can get in the world wars.. there were people who didn't believe, and people who believed. :) you are equally likely to find a true patriot in singapore, as you are in any city in the world, be it new york, london, paris.. and in the same breath, you are equally likely to find someone who's likely to tell you to sod off when it comes to country love.

uh oh rant alert
RANT ALERT
INCOMING....

you don't need to renew your senior member status, you know :devil:

instead of nitpicking at points from individual members (and very select ones at that).. what about your views, since you have stayed in singapore, and you've gone elsewhere? :)

it is easy to sit on the fence to throw spanners into people's points of view; but other than views on girls, i have not seen you offer anything concrete or substantial. so much for being "sciolistic".. :bsmilie:

Last edited:

To you, I'm sure it doesn't matter.

But to those who wish to understand, it matters a lot.

I shall not waste time explaining to you.

To you, I'm sure it doesn't matter.

But to those who wish to understand, it matters a lot.

I shall not waste time explaining to you.

:bsmilie:

so it matters a lot to you?

frankly speaking.. just exiting every single time with a nasty put-down comment is not impressing anyone. :bsmilie:

maybe that's your idea of greatness, unfortunately it is not my idea of it. but nonetheless, you are a great man in your own great mind who understands what constitutes a great nation. :thumbsup: please continue on being great, we will all bask greatfully in your greatness.

Last edited:
It's not bad a nation I would say. I quite like it here.

People who complain about transport costs and taxes are insane. Don't they realise these are among the lowest for development countries? Check out 40-50 percent taxes in Europe baby!

US? When you have crazed conservatives who try to stop evolution from being taught, you know there's a problem. Not to mention the gun crime.

UK? Replace said gun crime with knife crime. London is madness and their transport sucks.

Singapore itself is fine, but its people on the other hand, sometimes are a big turn off. Visit Stomp (for a short while lest we turn stupid) and see.

you don't need to renew your senior member status, you know :devil:

instead of nitpicking at points from individual members (and very select ones at that).. what about your views, since you have stayed in singapore, and you've gone elsewhere? :)

it is easy to sit on the fence to throw spanners into people's points of view; but other than views on girls, i have not seen you offer anything concrete or substantial. so much for being "sciolistic".. :bsmilie:

That's because I speak through my photographs.
http://superhyperreal.com in case you weren't sure
;)

Plus I only offer substantial points of view on things which I have actual life experience with rather than reading through wikipedia and online.
That's why I start posts like my recent one regarding the Chicken McSpicy

But... but... the Great Singapore Sale is just around the corner what?? Not great meh??

Status
Not open for further replies.