Sigma 18-35 1.8! (crop sensor though...)

anyone knows how much is it now and where to get it? still $980+? o.o

bought it at 940 sgd using credit card. but if you pay cash, its 920 sgd...seller is Alan Photo

by the way, since i bought it and paired it with my D7100, My dying interest in camera was cured!...its sharp sharp sharp!

thanks for the info man no problem. will pay by cash without a doubt! :)

anyone used this lense together with af assist lamp on a nikon flash? how accurate is it?

finally joined the club. for those still thinking to join. I got my at 920$ (with gst, by cash)

got it from nu photo(relatively unknown if you compare to say Alan photo or tk foto but the prices are competitive and cheaper actually)
you can pm alvinzzzz :)

Alvinzzz gotten a shop already rite? Haven't visited him yet, used to meet him at funan to test n buy from him,
Was mostly grey sets back than, so he selling local sets now?

Alvinzzz gotten a shop already rite? Haven't visited him yet, used to meet him at funan to test n buy from him,
Was mostly grey sets back than, so he selling local sets now?

hmm well if a grey set is one that is without local warranty then I guess he's selling local sets now. it's with 2 years local sigma warranty. and if you register online you get six more months. so I guess it isn't a grey set :)

if it was then.... it's a super sharp grey set haha :)

I have not used flash with this lens so I can't comment. No much experience with using flash anyway. I took these shot in a restaurant without flash.
original.jpg

original.jpg

hmm well if a grey set is one that is without local warranty then I guess he's selling local sets now. it's with 2 years local sigma warranty. and if you register online you get six more months. so I guess it isn't a grey set :)

if it was then.... it's a super sharp grey set haha :)
Wow u gotten at 920 for local set is a steal, tink I got it at either 960 or 980, lol
Ya I guess after alvin have to go local for the shop, amazing lens

Wow u gotten at 920 for local set is a steal, tink I got it at either 960 or 980, lol
Ya I guess after alvin have to go local for the shop, amazing lens

Haha yeah man when I saw the quoted price I thought it was too good to be true but it is!
He mentioned I took the last set available with him so.....I guess I was lucky too :)
Yeah would most probably be getting from alvinzzzz if there are any lenses I need.

but with the sigma 18-35.....hmm. doubt so. hahaha.

I've read quite a lot of reviews for this lens and a small number of them mentioned that there are times when the focus is totally off. Source:http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma-18-35-1-8/5

also, i've read reviews that said the focus will hunt a little under low light conditions and/or have front/back focusing issues.

does anyone have focusing issues with this lens? i'm seriously considering this lens for my next purchase.

So far I have no issues with the Nikon mount of this lens. Maybe I got a good copy or Sigma calibrated for me when it updated a new firmware for this lens for the D5300 which initially cannot auto focus in Live View mode.

I've read quite a lot of reviews for this lens and a small number of them mentioned that there are times when the focus is totally off. Source:http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma-18-35-1-8/5

also, i've read reviews that said the focus will hunt a little under low light conditions and/or have front/back focusing issues.

does anyone have focusing issues with this lens? i'm seriously considering this lens for my next purchase.

Hi, was a efs17-55, tamron 17-50 non-vc, sigma 17-50 OS user,
Now a 18-35 user, no complain so far, but do note the smallest aperture is f16 & no IS

So far I have no issues with the Nikon mount of this lens. Maybe I got a good copy or Sigma calibrated for me when it updated a new firmware for this lens for the D5300 which initially cannot auto focus in Live View mode.

If I buy it now, would the lens come with the latest firmware? Cuz my camera body is d5300 and it would suck if I have to spend another 80 bucks just to buy the USB dock. Does sigma charge you for updating the firmware? How long does it take to send the lens for firmware update/calibration?

Last edited:
I think Sigma has rectified the problem of auto focus of all new 18-35mm lenses for Nikon d5300. Lenses have sticker"Compatible With D5300" They will also update new firmware for free. Don't have to buy the USB dock.

I think Sigma has rectified the problem of auto focus of all new 18-35mm lenses for Nikon d5300. Lenses have sticker"Compatible With D5300" They will also update new firmware for free. Don't have to buy the USB dock.

I've just bought this lens but I think I have backfocusing issue at 18-20mm.

I took some sample test shots and my focus is aimed at the spot where the ruler touches the iPhone box.

35mm - Focus seems accurate
ml5f0p.jpg

28mm - Seems accurate
2cnxvgl.jpg

24mm - Still accurate
13yqdkg.jpg

20mm - Backfocus; Focus seems to be around the 7.5 inch mark on the ruler
2r3gq6e.jpg

18mm - Looks like it's the same as 20mm; Focus seems to be around the 7.5 inch mark on the ruler
20pzvxe.jpg

Bro how long did it take for Sigma Service centre to service your lens?

Last edited:
I did some more testing and this time my DSLR is mounted on a tripod aiming at the chart. All at f1.8

35mm - Sharp
10p4vav.jpg

28mm - Somewhat soft
kexf1y.jpg

24mm - Sharp
2cn9r9s.jpg

20mm - Blurry due to backfocusing
kd96kg.jpg

18mm - Really blurry due to backfocusing
2lo52ly.jpg

Last edited:

Any tips when going to the service center?

I saw from another thread that
- must call them up first and make appointment
- bring my camera along
- bring the lens cap
- bring warranty card

Any other things that I should know?

I only send in my lens only as it cannot auto focus in Live View mode in the D5300 when the camera was first released. I send it just before Chinese New Year and it took one week because of the holidays. Maybe you can call them for more details that you want to know.