RSAF Open House 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parking space quite limited. the airbase reserves most of their parking spaces for their officers/VIP guests. You can try your luck, but must try go there earliar.

Still quite a distance from the actual event itself. Love aeroplanes and the endless sky freedom. How many avid avatiors/aerospace interested peeps here going to the event itself?

Parking space quite limited. the airbase reserves most of their parking spaces for their officers/VIP guests. You can try your luck, but must try go there earliar.

Still quite a distance from the actual event itself. Love aeroplanes and the endless sky freedom. How many avid avatiors/aerospace interested peeps here going to the event itself?
I'll be going :)

I'll be going :)

Great! See you there! ;)

Need to bring/apply sunblock lotion. Dont wanna get burn under the sun.
I recently just got burn.. Bummer.. :embrass:

So, got to go early just in case got traffic jam like the last time. Well, this time got 3 locations from which to take the bus there. I will set out at 1300hr to be sure to be able to shoot at 1700hr.

Any info on parking there. I guess PLAB should have lots of parking lots. Free parking?

If its full, go all the way to the end, past the roundabout, outside the PLAB medical center.

Or you can try the carpark opposite Air Force School / Next to ST Engineering.

Else, bus 90 from Toa Payoh interchange / 94 from Eunos interchange ;D

Additional information for photographers:

Security Advisory
For the safety of all visitors, security checks will be conducted at the entrance to Open House 2008.
In order to facilitate entry into the event, please observe the following security advisory:
  • Not to carry any sharp objects such as knives, paper cutters, etc.
  • Cameras are allowed, but please note that telephoto lenses that are
    500mm and beyond are prohibited.

Official link of above.

If I use 300mm with 2x TC.... how ?? :bsmilie::sweat:

If its full, go all the way to the end, past the roundabout, outside the PLAB medical center.

Or you can try the carpark opposite Air Force School / Next to ST Engineering.

Else, bus 90 from Toa Payoh interchange / 94 from Eunos interchange ;D
thanks a lot. :)

Thank goodness the longest the Olympus lens are 300mm...:D

Hey folks, say I only want to see and take photos of the aerial display. Any place I can go to besides the open house itself?

Hey folks, say I only want to see and take photos of the aerial display. Any place I can go to besides the open house itself?

Just cannot understand why you dun wanna to go into the open house proper. If you're keen enough, should go all the way there. Is it the crowd or is it too much of a hassle to get there?

For me, if I am keen enough, I will make the effort all the way there. Sure I will be there on both days.:thumbsup: BTW, one more week to go.;p

But as for the fireworks, I have done a few liao, so not that keen to shoot this time, especially the weather looks bad.

I'm going also, but on the 29th. Anybody know whether there are any difference in events between public and "non-public" open house?

anyone knows of the timing and dates for their practice runs?

there's a practice today too bad knew it too late

If I use 300mm with 2x TC.... how ?? :bsmilie::sweat:

What will happen to you if they see you with that inside the camp? Confiscate your equipments? :cool:

Just cannot understand why you dun wanna to go into the open house proper. If you're keen enough, should go all the way there. Is it the crowd or is it too much of a hassle to get there?

For me, if I am keen enough, I will make the effort all the way there. Sure I will be there on both days.:thumbsup: BTW, one more week to go.;p

Yup, after reading about the crowd situation at Singapore Airshow, I was so glad I took photos from Changi Beach instead. Somemore this open house is free...

But since this will be held in a military base, hope the crowd control will be better.

BTW I think they are rehearsing for the flying display today. Apaches & Chinooks flew past so close to my home. ;p

Does it include the crop factors? lol :bsmilie:

Yup, after reading about the crowd situation at Singapore Airshow, I was so glad I took photos from Changi Beach instead. Somemore this open house is free...

But since this will be held in a military base, hope the crowd control will be better.

BTW I think they are rehearsing for the flying display today. Apaches & Chinooks flew past so close to my home. ;p
yap... at the same timing as the ariel display... too bad the clouds are rather bad today...

The last RSAF open house was in September 2006.

The planning to move the crowd from Eunos interchange to Paya Lebar Airbase was very bad. Those in charged were busy putting up new barriers when they saw that the crowd was getting bigger.

Many people were still waiting for the bus when the first aircraft show started and we had to see it from Eunos interchange. Don't forget that you're going to be part of the morning traffic jam on route to the PLAB.

I'm preparing for the worst and hoping for the best as it was a bad experience for the RSAF open house 2006 and the Singapore Airshow 2008 to get from the designated pick up point to the exhibition area, just like cattle to be transported for slaughter.

Think of the children.
Well, there have already announced two pick up points, so I do believe things will be better this time round. I have been to the past two RSAF Open Houses, and I have never had a bad experience with them. Sometimes, a bit of personal sacrifice is needed if one demands a good experience.

I, for one, actually live pretty close to the airbase since I live in the southern part of Hougang, but instead of trying to join the snaking queues for the free shuttle buses in Eunos, I choose to backtrack and take a public bus to Toa Payoh, and then take 90 to the airbase, just to ensure I can squeeze up the bus at the interchange. All-in-all, I cleared everything in less then an hour.

Same thing during the Singapore Airshow. When I arrived at Pasir Ris by public bus to meet my friend there and catch the free shuttle bus, we immediately know plan B must be activated if we want to catch the display. We hailed a cab, and was at the venue in less than 20 mins, and cleared security in 10 mins, with an hour to spare before the display actually starts.

So even thou they are offering a free shuttle bus from Hougang this time, I may still choose to repeat my Toa Payoh trip. I may have to pay more, but the ease-of-mind in reaching the venue within reasonable time and comfort is well worth it.

And yes, please leave the kids, prams and elderly at home unless they are prepared to be squeezed, pushed, shoved, and left standing in the hot sun for hours on end.

I'll be going as well :)

Btw, just curious, did any of u guys NSman received any invitaion for this show thru your mail with you name on it?

Im curious as to why is my name on it..:)

Status
Not open for further replies.