recommend a DSLR!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The camera will decide the power amount of power to use when using the flash. This "intensity" you're talking about is probably the harshness of the flash, what you can do with most external flashes is to tilt it upwards so that you can bounce the flash off a ceiling etc. And most of the cameras (better go check the specifications) allows you to adjust the flash exposure compensation (FEC) if you find it a bit too bright/dark.

if the 5D doesn't have an auto-flash system, can it then decide the power of the external flash? that's my question. i'll need it at least at the start as i've no experience in external flashes at all...

shuy said:
if the 5D doesn't have an auto-flash system, can it then decide the power of the external flash? that's my question. i'll need it at least at the start as i've no experience in external flashes at all...

If it can't then why bother paying $5k for it? Of course it can lah.

shuy said:
man... i'm swaying towards the 5D now. lack of exotic lens = less chance to spend $$. hmm....

besides a less-than-quick shutter lag n smaller range of lens, anything else to stop me from the 5D?

I beg to differ...

If you've noticed the trend in CS, its BUY BUY BUY once you've get your DSLR. I've owned a Prosumer (Canon S2) for couple of months before selling it off to get a D70 (2nd hand). Initially, I'm thinking that a S2 is good enough for my needs. After using it, I find that it is not able to meet to my demands and sell it off. After getting the D70, I also started on the BUY BUY BUY trend.

It would be good to look through B&S to look for someone selling a higher end cameras and meet your budget. (I think there's a pretty good deal on a D70s in the B&S now with 9mths of warranty left, shutter count 2,500 and selling at $1.5k).

Ultimately, I think that even if you have the money to buy, you might not find what you want to buy if you settle for something less. I'd advise you to go for those more common brands where there is a higher demand for used lens.

Cheers

Lmodel said:
I beg to differ...

If you've noticed the trend in CS, its BUY BUY BUY once you've get your DSLR. I've owned a Prosumer (Canon S2) for couple of months before selling it off to get a D70 (2nd hand). Initially, I'm thinking that a S2 is good enough for my needs. After using it, I find that it is not able to meet to my demands and sell it off. After getting the D70, I also started on the BUY BUY BUY trend.

It would be good to look through B&S to look for someone selling a higher end cameras and meet your budget. (I think there's a pretty good deal on a D70s in the B&S now with 9mths of warranty left, shutter count 2,500 and selling at $1.5k).

Ultimately, I think that even if you have the money to buy, you might not find what you want to buy if you settle for something less. I'd advise you to go for those more common brands where there is a higher demand for used lens.

Cheers

my last camera lasted me 5 yrs b4 it died, i'm not really into the BUYBUYBUY syndrome.

but i do have another concern. like u mentioned, the range of lens is smaller. will i be able to get high quality lens for the KM-5D, or is sigma the best i can realistically go?

shuy said:
uhm yah... so can the KM 5D decide the power of the ext flash?
yes definitely

shuy said:
my last camera lasted me 5 yrs b4 it died, i'm not really into the BUYBUYBUY syndrome.

but i do have another concern. like u mentioned, the range of lens is smaller. will i be able to get high quality lens for the KM-5D, or is sigma the best i can realistically go?

The range of lens is not smaller.. just limited class and availabilty. The competitors just had set of duplicate range eg 70-200mm with VR or IS , "L", Non-VR, Non-L etc etc. Basically the kit lens can already produce awesome images from depreview links I posted. Now what do you think of minolta even higher-end glasses?

shuy said:

Is your last camera a DSLR?

From the way it's mentioned, it doesn't seems like a dSLR to me.

wrx_sti_22b said:
From the way it's mentioned, it doesn't seems like a dSLR to me.

Seems like to me as well. My point to him on the BUYBUYBUY syndrome is that there isnt much to BBB with a P&S. It only starts when you have a DSLR on hand because of the many options to upgrade. Today, I might be looking for lens. 2molo, I might be looking for flash. The day after next, it might be tripod or camera bag or remote control or many many others.

Lmodel said:
Seems like to me as well. My point to him on the BUYBUYBUY syndrome is that there isnt much to BBB with a P&S. It only starts when you have a DSLR on hand because of the many options to upgrade. Today, I might be looking for lens. 2molo, I might be looking for flash. The day after next, it might be tripod or camera bag or remote control or many many others.
not forget the filters, dry box, bracket, cleaning utility, softwares, computer hardware for post process, bags, straps, ladder, camera accessories.:eek:

shuy said:
argh.. point taken. dun worry, my lack of funds will stop me!

Then I should say you shouldnt consider DSLR even in the first place.

A filter is the first thing you will get with your camera for your kit lens. A tripod is mandatory for taking good photos in the night. A hotshoe flash is essential in taking indoor photos. A bag is necessary to equip yourself with all your gears. A spare battery and memory card is important so that you have them when you need them. A dry cabinet is complusory to protect your pricey assests.

Based on the above, do you find anything that you can leave without? It explains my point of the BBB once you own a DSLR.

Cheers

Lmodel said:
Then I should say you shouldnt consider DSLR even in the first place.

A filter is the first thing you will get with your camera for your kit lens. A tripod is mandatory for taking good photos in the night. A hotshoe flash is essential in taking indoor photos. A bag is necessary to equip yourself with all your gears. A spare battery and memory card is important so that you have them when you need them. A dry cabinet is complusory to protect your pricey assests.

Based on the above, do you find anything that you can leave without? It explains my point of the BBB once you own a DSLR.

Cheers

these r ok, i've taken them into acc. it's the lens/filters buying that goes on n on, the essentials r 1-off payments, still ok. 18-70 is a pretty gd range aredi for me, my next if i need it is maybe a 70-300. but that's abt it, i dont plan to get more.

buying essentials oso considered BBB??? i tot BBB means upgrading??

shuy said:
these r ok, i've taken them into acc. it's the lens/filters buying that goes on n on, the essentials r 1-off payments, still ok. 18-70 is a pretty gd range aredi for me, my next if i need it is maybe a 70-300. but that's abt it, i dont plan to get more.

buying essentials oso considered BBB??? i tot BBB means upgrading??

Oce you start buying you will never stop :think:

Strictly speaking, i believe you should look into a DSLR-LIKE camera like Sony H-1 then an entry level dslr. Having just recently converted from a PNS(Canon Ixus 700) to DSLR(Olympus Evolt 500), i finally understand the meaning of BBB!
Lmodel basically sum up what you need to get (yupz.. NEED, not WANT) after your inital investment.
Every single lense you get, you would have to get an UV filter to go with it (protection of lense) $10 - $70 ?
Sooner or later, you will find the limitations of the in-build flash, then there you would get an hotshoe flash ($100++ to $600++). With that, you would also consider a diffuser/bounce card etc etc. That cost another $40 - $70.
How much are you prepared to spend on your system? I am looking at about $3k to complete my setup.
Ever considered about yours?

photobum said:
No... It is not cheaper to buy in the US. In fact, It can be more expensive due to, high mark-ups, additional shipping costs and city tax. I have been living in that country for more than 8 years, so I can say that I know enough to advice you.
really?
like wise been here abt just as long and i beg to differ.
almost every piece of electronic i can get....its cheaper here than spore:D

Raptor1 said:
Strictly speaking, i believe you should look into a DSLR-LIKE camera like Sony H-1 then an entry level dslr. Having just recently converted from a PNS(Canon Ixus 700) to DSLR(Olympus Evolt 500), i finally understand the meaning of BBB!
Lmodel basically sum up what you need to get (yupz.. NEED, not WANT) after your inital investment.
Every single lense you get, you would have to get an UV filter to go with it (protection of lense) $10 - $70 ?
Sooner or later, you will find the limitations of the in-build flash, then there you would get an hotshoe flash ($100++ to $600++). With that, you would also consider a diffuser/bounce card etc etc. That cost another $40 - $70.
How much are you prepared to spend on your system? I am looking at about $3k to complete my setup.
Ever considered about yours?

Needs and Want? At times, I find it so hard to differentiate as well coz the difference is too marginal. Its like I want to take landscape photos and therefore buy a 12-24 lens, I do NEED it to take the wide angle. However, I can use my 18-70 lens but certainly would love to have (WANT) a 12-24 to take wide angle.

It applies to filters, flashes, tripods, bags and the list goes on. NEED or WANT?

I think even for prosumer, there's teleconverter lens and wide angle lens and external flash. Therefore, the only way not to spend is to buy a P&S. Absolutely nothing much to spend on.

Yes, total budget is important as it helps on the final decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.