recommend a DSLR!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
roti_prata said:
AS is less effective thn IS and VR, it also induces more blur as i read in reviews. with KM ur best bet will be sigma lenses unlike nikon or canon which offer better oem lenses.

Is it? How come so many ppl saying my pics are so sharp in pbase? :bsmilie: even in low lighting shooting!! :bsmilie:

eow said:
the km 5d is slower in response and auto-focus compare to the D70
however it cost $500 hundred less and the kit lens supplied already cover from wide to mid zoom 18-70mm...if doubt it pics quality. see below
pics taken with km5d with sigma 75-200mm f/2.8-3.5

Totally awesome...!! This kind of pic quality will take extra 1k to 2k cost of Premium lens from the competitors to produce! No challenge! :cool:

man... i'm swaying towards the 5D now. lack of exotic lens = less chance to spend $$. hmm....

the sample pics by eow's link r amazing! no need to buy another lens for the moment, very true.

ok it's S$989 w/ the kit. but no 1gb CF card, which i'm guessing is abt S$100? besides i have a 128mb CF card to pathetically tide me by for the moment. so S$1k for a good-to-go kit. all i need then is a tripod n camera bag, n i'm in the dslr club grrrr

besides a less-than-quick shutter lag n smaller range of lens, anything else to stop me from the 5D?

tokrot said:
Totally awesome...!! This kind of pic quality will take extra 1k to 2k cost of Premium lens from the competitors to produce! No challenge!
Tks bro !
just in case people ask... the sigma lens used cost me less than $500 buck and the post process was done using the freeware photofiltre. :)
No G lens and uber expensive/advance software e.g Cs2

shuy said:
man... i'm swaying towards the 5D now. lack of exotic lens = less chance to spend $$. hmm....

the sample pics by eow's link r amazing! no need to buy another lens for the moment, very true.

ok it's S$989 w/ the kit. but no 1gb CF card, which i'm guessing is abt S$100? besides i have a 128mb CF card to pathetically tide me by for the moment. so S$1k for a good-to-go kit. all i need then is a tripod n camera bag, n i'm in the dslr club grrrr

besides a less-than-quick shutter lag n smaller range of lens, anything else to stop me from the 5D?
if u are already familiar with basic of photography e.g shutter/aperture/manual
borrow the book 'Perfect Exposure' by Zim buckerman from any of the libraries..trust me that book is one of the best i'd read/borrowed so far:thumbsup: ...else start from basic it more beneficial to u in long term whether u using/switched to minolta,nikon,canon,olympus pentax later :)

Just to add to all the comments given, go to a shop and handle the cameras and see which is the most comfortable to hold for you. The 350D is the smallest and the D50 the largest with the 5D somewhere in between. If you have big hands, holding the 350D will be too cramped, but if you have small hands, the D50 might be too fat for comfort as well. You mentioned you intended to keep it for a few years, and as mentioned by a lot of the folks, with an SLR, you are likely to end up buying bigger and HEAVIER lenses, so if the grip doesn't fit your hands,..... CRAMP......

Another point to note, the flash for the D50 pops up automatically, and even when up, if in auto mode, if there is enough light, it wont fire, whereas for the 5D you have to manually open the flash, and once its up, it will fire regardless, depending on your preference this can be either a negative or positive thing. Also focus assist for the D50 is a seperate light, but the 5D uses the flash. For me, came down to the D50 or 5D, (350D too small for my hands) and the AS swung it for me to buy the 5D.

Think whatever you get, you will have a good camera. Anyway good pictures depend more on the photographer, I've got a 5D and I love it, but can I produce photos as good as EOW?? Not now, and maybe never.

shuy said:
my digicam has stopped working all of a sudden, n i take it as a sign that it's time to upgrade to dslr! which is great, xpt that i haven't got $$$ being a student. soooo...

cld any1 recommend an affordable yet decent kit? heard good things abt the D50 from another thread, is there any other model i should consider?

also, is it cheaper to get it in another country, e.g. USA? i've got a few friends there i could trouble hehe...

thanks!

hee hee excuse for upgrading ? nevertheless, there are many dslrs nowadays ... you should adopt one that illustrate your style .. hence it will be good idea to go to the camera shop and ask for hand-ons.

generally, those manufactured in asia such as china / thailand should be cheaper. but nikon or camera has a fixed price to follow, so you shouldn't find a price that is much higher than their listed price.

ldft said:
Just to add to all the comments given, go to a shop and handle the cameras and see which is the most comfortable to hold for you. The 350D is the smallest and the D50 the largest with the 5D somewhere in between. If you have big hands, holding the 350D will be too cramped, but if you have small hands, the D50 might be too fat for comfort as well. You mentioned you intended to keep it for a few years, and as mentioned by a lot of the folks, with an SLR, you are likely to end up buying bigger and HEAVIER lenses, so if the grip doesn't fit your hands,..... CRAMP......

Another point to note, the flash for the D50 pops up automatically, and even when up, if in auto mode, if there is enough light, it wont fire, whereas for the 5D you have to manually open the flash, and once its up, it will fire regardless, depending on your preference this can be either a negative or positive thing. Also focus assist for the D50 is a seperate light, but the 5D uses the flash. For me, came down to the D50 or 5D, (350D too small for my hands) and the AS swung it for me to buy the 5D.

Think whatever you get, you will have a good camera. Anyway good pictures depend more on the photographer, I've got a 5D and I love it, but can I produce photos as good as EOW?? Not now, and maybe never.

Bro Idft i just happen to enjoy taking fashion/event shots.... anything other than that i would have fumble liao .....:sweat: ..the mountain is always higher elsewhere ...the real pros still haven't show up yet i'm just a hobbyist who enjoy and constantly thinking way of getting better shots than lament on lack of superior bodies/lenses.

JediForce4ever said:
one question..can the D5D attach a VG?
nope i wish there is too bad there isn't

dominator said:
bro, i think you no need to wish la...you don't need it at all :bsmilie:
Had handle the 350d with vertical grip before...the feeling it gave to me ...is balance and comfort:thumbsup: :)

shuy to tell u the truth...my first choice for the dslr is the nikon D50 back then before i pick the km5d ...if not for the unbeatable offer/package deal for km5d back then at commex..

oceanxp said:
hee hee excuse for upgrading ? nevertheless, there are many dslrs nowadays ... you should adopt one that illustrate your style .. hence it will be good idea to go to the camera shop and ask for hand-ons.

generally, those manufactured in asia such as china / thailand should be cheaper. but nikon or camera has a fixed price to follow, so you shouldn't find a price that is much higher than their listed price.

i've had a prosumer for 5 yrs, i've explored it fully aredi. i think it's time to bring it up to the next level. (excuse no. 2)

anyway, i've always wanted 1. so y not now? hehe...

ldft said:

uhm, r u saying that there's no auto-flash feature for the 5D at all?? uhm how can that be a positive thing at all?

eow said:
Had handle the 350d with vertical grip before...the feeling it gave to me ...is balance and comfort:thumbsup: :)

shuy to tell u the truth...my first choice for the dslr is the nikon D50 back then before i pick the km5d ...if not for the unbeatable offer/package deal for km5d back then at commex..

350D is a very gd cam, but no $$$ :p

from the pics u take, i'm sure u haven't looked back since! or have u?

shuy said:
350D is a very gd cam, but no $$$ :p

from the pics u take, i'm sure u haven't looked back since! or have u?
Nope;)

shuy said:
uhm, r u saying that there's no auto-flash feature for the 5D at all?? uhm how can that be a positive thing at all?
It depend on whether you intend to have flash or not, in some conditions, the camera may sense wrongly and the flash pop up and flash, end up over expose, or there are some shot you intend not to use the flash, it can get annoying some time.
By experience, most experienced DSLR user will know the situation need flash or not, so manually lift up the flash can be an advantage, personally I prefer this way.

Reno said:
are you sure you need a Dslr? if budget constraint... stick to a prosumer range. Dslr is the root curse of the never ending "BUY BUY BUY"

:thumbsup: with you. When I started with my D70 (best cam - haha, only my opinion)...I started to BUY and BUY and BUY - thanks to CS - I am the owner of 5 lenses, tripods, bags, etc etc, :bsmilie:

About S$300, it's quite substantial; it can buy a simple point-and-shoot digicam

My formulae is this: DSLR beginner + no money = borrow one from your rich best pal.

By the way, the price difference between the D50 and D70 is not much.

okiz bro i've got alot of good reviews abt km5d... but one question i believe still needs to be answered and it hasn't been discussed here... da flash system.. cus i noe d70 works well wif sb600 and sb800.. i'm doing more into freelance models shoot.. what's a good recco and how powerful km 5d's compatible flash system will be.. and wad kinda lens are available? i would ultimately get a D70.. but so far da reviews haf been good on KM 5D.. so i mite haf a change of heart... hope somebody can help me here... thx.. :)

zcf said:
It depend on whether you intend to have flash or not, in some conditions, the camera may sense wrongly and the flash pop up and flash, end up over expose, or there are some shot you intend not to use the flash, it can get annoying some time.
By experience, most experienced DSLR user will know the situation need flash or not, so manually lift up the flash can be an advantage, personally I prefer this way.

yeah, it's still not a positive thing not to have auto per se, as the manual function is always there so no loss. that's wat i meant.

but wat u said is true upon reflection, i hated my prosumer flash cos i cldn't control its instensity. ended up improvising with tissues n stuff. then ended up not using flash at all.

just another qn, can i install an external flash that can automatically set the suitable flash intensity?

Status
Not open for further replies.