[Product Discussion] Lumix 14mm f2.5 early pics

Why they have 14mm f/2.5 ? ;(
What is the difference between the kit lens 14mm f/3.5 to this 14mm f/2.5...1 stop ? :confused:
Why can't they have a 13mm f/2.5, 12mm f/2.5, 11mm f/2.5 or 10mm f/2.5 instead ?:)

1 1/3 stop difference, No idea why, though I'd like a 12mm f2.8 instead

My initial impressions is that the 14 f2.5 isn’t as sharp as the superb 20 f1.7 wide open.

Too bad I don’t have a 20mm around now to do more tests.

Here are some shots with the 14mm on a GF2. Wide open, out of camera RAW, no sharpening.

P1000038.jpg

P1000046.jpg

What I find is that there is center sharpness even wide open, but not so at the sides

What I find is that there is center sharpness even wide open, but not so at the sides
i agree. compared to the 20mm, where the sharpness falloff from centre to edge is much less, the 14mm seems a little disappointing. Still I’m fairly satisfied, given the compromises in compactness and wide angle.

Have you done a comparison for colour rendition between the 20mm and 14mm?

i agree. compared to the 20mm, where the sharpness falloff from centre to edge is much less, the 14mm seems a little disappointing. Still I’m fairly satisfied, given the compromises in compactness and wide angle.

Have you done a comparison for colour rendition between the 20mm and 14mm?

As said before, at least I think I did, I don't have the 20mm and I'm perfectly happy with my 17mm :bsmilie: Lonewolf tried to poison me but I can't be bothered with the 20mm, personally still waiting for a better wide angle lens;)

As said before, at least I think I did, I don't have the 20mm and I'm perfectly happy with my 17mm :bsmilie: Lonewolf tried to poison me but I can't be bothered with the 20mm, personally still waiting for a better wide angle lens;)

Come, I lent you my 20mm to do the comparsion.... 20mm, 20mm, 20mm... ;p

Come, I lent you my 20mm to do the comparsion.... 20mm, 20mm, 20mm... ;p

Hahahah,its ok, I gonna return the lens soon,before I start my attachment, otherwise, they won't see their lens until some time in march :devil:

Reading all the comments, think I'll just stick with my 20mm for now and use the 14-140 or 14-45 for wider shots.

Last edited:
Reading all the comments, think I'll just stick with my 20mm for now and use the 14-140 or 14-45 for wider shots.
well having a 20mm and 14mm gives you compactness and portability the kit lens don’t.

well having a 20mm and 14mm gives you compactness and portability the kit lens don’t.

at the same time, the pancake lenses doesn't give the range of focal length like the kit lens does,its a coke vs pepsi thing, the 14mm iq may not be acceptable to some so some such as myself, are still waiting for a better iq wide angle lens

at the same time, the pancake lenses doesn't give the range of focal length like the kit lens does,its a coke vs pepsi thing, the 14mm iq may not be acceptable to some so some such as myself, are still waiting for a better iq wide angle lens

Agreed, give us something useful or we give you hell Panny.
Boycott, boycott, boycott. :p

Why they have 14mm f/2.5 ? ;(
What is the difference between the kit lens 14mm f/3.5 to this 14mm f/2.5...1 stop ? :confused:
Why can't they have a 13mm f/2.5, 12mm f/2.5, 11mm f/2.5 or 10mm f/2.5 instead ?:)

1 1/3 stop difference, No idea why, though I'd like a 12mm f2.8 instead

That's only 1 stop difference between f/3.5 and f/2.5. That's quite a lot to pay for the 1 stop and the compactness. I see from Panny ad today $1099 and $1299 for GF2 14mm and GF2 14mm+14-42mm, making 14-42mm only $200. Checked at shop today 14mm is $595. Siong...

I bought the lens from Adorama (via Amazon).
Cost: us399.95 + us81.95 shipping + 7% GST = SGD$670 (but that's not what I paid since I have some vouchers used).

The lens is smaller than the 20mm lens primarily because the diameter is smaller. It's only slightly thinner.

Here are some photos with my PnS skills.

Click for a video

This has processing to darken the edges.

You were at Queenstown? I was there this morning and on Sat morning hahahha