Portraiture Experiments - Christine

NormanSelvaraju

Dec 12, 2012
Singapore
Here is one shoot that I am quite proud of.
Having understood the mistakes I made from the previous shoot, in this one, I attempted to address them.

I took it upon myself to direct the model more (Not that she needed much direction). I kept a look out for stray hair, uneven eyes, distracting background.

I came away with a higher hit rate of 21 shots in 2 hours. Here are my favourite few.

Please do comment and critique. Appreciate all responses.

Canon 6D, Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS, 80x80 softbox (with a Yn-565) and a YN-560(bare) occasionally used for hair light.

Cheers.
Norman.

Reactions: akuma
She looks stiff if this was supposed to be fun model shoot about there. If it is meant as portraiture does not fly, fashion does not fly. Your comp is not optimum (at least based on what I think you were trying to do replicate) . Lighting you get a B for effort. It looks like it was lit artificially - lighting becomes the subject not the girl. She needs to be more present even the haughty look has a feel that I here but I am ignoring you …. this feels like okay he paying me X$ for being here, let thinking about what to do after this.

She looks stiff if this was supposed to be fun model shoot about there. If it is meant as portraiture does not fly, fashion does not fly. Your comp is not optimum (at least based on what I think you were trying to do replicate) . Lighting you get a B for effort. It looks like it was lit artificially - lighting becomes the subject not the girl. She needs to be more present even the haughty look has a feel that I here but I am ignoring you …. this feels like okay he paying me X$ for being here, let thinking about what to do after this.

Hi Ellery. Thanks for dropping in with the critique. Appreciate your sharing.

Now that you mention it, some of the poses do look a little stiff. However, could you kindly help me understand what you mean when you say it doesn't cut is as either portraiture or fashion? What would be the criteria to fit in either category. How do I do that?

I understand what you mean by the composition being off. But it'd be really cool if you could share which ones I could work on. I wouldn't go so to far to trouble you to comment on all (though that'd be for the win), just dropping me idea on improved composition for one or two would be a great way to help me out.

Oh and lastly, the part about the lighting, it's a shame if it distracted the viewer from the model. I was trying to go for more dramatic lighting. Didn't know I succeeded too well. Lemme know where I can dial it down a little.

Haha. As for the part on her being disinterested. I guess that was on me. Was going for the, as you put it, "haughty fashionista" look. Didn't intend for it to come out disconnected.

Thanks for the pointing out the red-flags. Looking forward to hearing your pointers.

Cheers!

Norman.

watch those feet/shoes ..... these little cut offs are unsightly

thanks for sharing and putting in the effort !

watch those feet/shoes ..... these little cut offs are unsightly thanks for sharing and putting in the effort !

Hi Ed. Thanks for dropping by with the encouragement!

I'll certainly take note of that! I should give the subject more room in the frame. Thx!

Nice attempt! :) keep up the good work!
Keep shooting.

keep up the good work and pursuit for improvement. :)

Here is my 2c...

1. Always have an idea on what you want to achieve - the vision
2. Always take time to make sure the light is correct - does the light give you the 3D-ness of the person
3. Always take time to talk to the subject. Portrait is about the person, I consider a failure from my part if I can't bring out the personality of the person.

Other than that, it is sharp and well-expose... but I haven't see anything beyond that.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Hart

Here is my 2c... 1. Always have an idea on what you want to achieve - the vision 2. Always take time to make sure the light is correct - does the light give you the 3D-ness of the person 3. Always take time to talk to the subject. Portrait is about the person, I consider a failure from my part if I can't bring out the personality of the person. Other than that, it is sharp and well-expose... but I haven't see anything beyond that. Hope it helps. Regards, Hart

Hello Agetan.

Thanks for dropping by with the pointers. I can see where this is going. I may have executed the shot relatively well, but I didn't connect with the camera and therefore the model looks disconnected from the shoot.

I'll certainly take note of this soft skill to work on and bring out the best in my subjects. A further question would be if I were going for that "haughty-cold-attitude" look how do I achieve that and yet connect with the model? I mean those high fashion kinda photos.

Thank you very much for pointing me in the direction I need to work on. By the way, in my opinion, your work with the baby portraits is top-notch and it is my aim to produce work of such quality. Appreciate your sharing.

Edit- you mentioned that the light should give a 3d feel/effect. I was working towards that and would appreciate it if you could point out where I went wrong. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Hello Agetan.

Thanks for dropping by with the pointers. I can see where this is going. I may have executed the shot relatively well, but I didn't connect with the camera and therefore the model looks disconnected from the shoot.

I'll certainly take note of this soft skill to work on and bring out the best in my subjects. A further question would be if I were going for that "haughty-cold-attitude" look how do I achieve that and yet connect with the model? I mean those high fashion kinda photos. - Not every model can pull this off. The successful of a shoot is a collective effort, photographer, model, make up artist and stylist if any.

Thank you very much for pointing me in the direction I need to work on. By the way, in my opinion, your work with the baby portraits is top-notch and it is my aim to produce work of such quality. Appreciate your sharing.

Edit- you mentioned that the light should give a 3d feel/effect. I was working towards that and would appreciate it if you could point out where I went wrong. Thanks again! - The best way to learn light is to observe natural light and replicate it with flash if you wish or use natural light.

My reply in bold... Good luck and thanks for your kind words.

OMG, you need this lady to do what she's comfy with and be herself. Posing is definitely not her forte... maybe better luck with some good models and try.

Last edited:
OMG, you need this lady to do what she's comfy with and be herself. Posing is definitely not her forte... maybe better luck with some good models and try.

Hi dennisc, thanks for visiting the thread and commenting. I think you are right. As the photographer it's my responsibility to identify the best combination of poses/expressions and set up for the given locations/conditions and model. Perhaps I didn't do such a great job in this aspect of it. Shall certainly reflect and evaluate. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!