Pentax DA18-250 vs DA18-55&DA50-200, DA18-250 Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think it's because of me lah I only posted this yesterday afternoon. I guess the buyers wanted to have the Pentax version anyway

yes:) that's why I paid more than the Tamron and waited 2 agonising months for it to arrive! I wanted to have the words "pentax" on the lens :bsmilie:

My current trekking solution is the 16-50mm and 50-135mm. Usually I'm mentally prepared and know what I'm shooting so I'm quite prepared.

That's a grreat combo! I'd love to have these two DA* in my collection too, but I'm broken now :cry: Need to sell some gear to cover the cost...

looking at the tests between the 18-250 and 18-55, I can't believe it actually out perform the kit lens! :eek:
Make me want to go out and buy 1, but maybe the 'original' tamron version.

Yeah, obviously the Tamron version is a better buy. But you have to pay the extra if you want "PENTAX" on it :bsmilie:

Was a little shocked by the price tag and wasn't so sure if it would move at all. Quite surprised it did :)

Well, there are people out there who prefer one lens solution and don't mind paying.:bsmilie:

yes:) that's why I paid more than the Tamron and waited 2 agonising months for it to arrive! I wanted to have the words "pentax" on the lens :bsmilie:

Die-hard Pentaxian. :thumbsup:

Yeah, obviously the Tamron version is a better buy. But you have to pay the extra if you want "PENTAX" on it :bsmilie:

yea except in this case the 'extra' is too much. :confused: anyway Tarmon is also a very reputable brand and I wouldn't mind wearing the brand name on my lens.
I remembered those days (20yrs+ ago) When we were still using manual focus camera, many can't afford marque lens would buy Tamron and nothing else. Sigma often had poor workmanship and oil leaks and Tokina, they were ok but not too common.

yea except in this case the 'extra' is too much. :confused: anyway Tarmon is also a very reputable brand and I wouldn't mind wearing the brand name on my lens.
I remembered those days (20yrs+ ago) When we were still using manual focus camera, many can't afford marque lens would buy Tamron and nothing else. Sigma often had poor workmanship and oil leaks and Tokina, they were ok but not too common.

I'm not too sure about their past reputation but the Sigmas I have so far are ok.
Happy with their performance and build quality is excellent.
In fact, packahing wise, I prefer the Sigmas. Maybe its also because I find the gold rings on the Tamrons very "uncle-ish". ;)

Die-hard Pentaxian. :thumbsup:

yeah! ;p One more month and I would have bought a Tamron 18-250 and pasted the words "Pentax" on it! :bsmilie:
Can I request whoever buys the Tamron do link up with Feng wei for a comparison to see if optically there is any difference since they are rumoured to be the same lens under the hood.

I'm not too sure about their past reputation but the Sigmas I have so far are ok.
Happy with their performance and build quality is excellent.
In fact, packahing wise, I prefer the Sigmas. Maybe its also because I find the gold rings on the Tamrons very "uncle-ish". ;)

Those days before Sigma came out with the EX pro range, they applied the 'zen' coating on many of their lenses. They tend to flake off or worse, become sticky (like my Microsoft Sidewinder joystick!). Makes the lenses really ugly looking.

I heard that the EX lenses suffer the same fate. Can someone confirm it?

may i know the price for the 18-250?
i may get it if its reasonable.

thank you.

Hi!
I got mine for over S$900! The killer was the 7% GST and shipping charges.
You may want to check out the others who have bought them locally or in Malaysia.
Last I heard there were some units at MS Color...

Those days before Sigma came out with the EX pro range, they applied the 'zen' coating on many of their lenses. They tend to flake off or worse, become sticky (like my Microsoft Sidewinder joystick!). Makes the lenses really ugly looking.

I heard that the EX lenses suffer the same fate. Can someone confirm it?

I've had a few sigmas so far and no flaking. but come to think of it, I've never come across a lens that is flaking, even the ones at Cash Converter...:)

I've had a few sigmas so far and no flaking. but come to think of it, I've never come across a lens that is flaking, even the ones at Cash Converter...:)

Thks for the info. So if Pentax dont hurry up with the lenses, I may just look at some of the Sigma lenses, in particular the EX100-400 f4

Thks for the info. So if Pentax dont hurry up with the lenses, I may just look at some of the Sigma lenses, in particular the EX100-400 f4

why wait? most of the older pentax lenses are equally good. do a self check on what primes or zoom you REALLY need, go out and buy them! Remember the sooner it ends up locked into your camera body, the sooner you can make things happen! If you are always waiting for that "better" lens, than it would be like the PC-syndrome where a person is constanly wating for the next faster CPU to come along and holding back.
But for your 100-400, maybe sigma will have to do...

Also, if you check out how they make lenses on the canon website, you would know its not easy and requires economies of scale to bring it into production. something canon has plenty of but pentax does not. but its a good thing that for the fewer lenses that pentax do have, they are all great performers...:)

why wait? most of the older pentax lenses are equally good. do a self check on what primes or zoom you REALLY need, go out and buy them! Remember the sooner it ends up locked into your camera body, the sooner you can make things happen! If you are always waiting for that "better" lens, than it would be like the PC-syndrome where a person is constanly wating for the next faster CPU to come along and holding back.
But for your 100-400, maybe sigma will have to do...

Also, if you check out how they make lenses on the canon website, you would know its not easy and requires economies of scale to bring it into production. something canon has plenty of but pentax does not. but its a good thing that for the fewer lenses that pentax do have, they are all great performers...:)

ops! i mean 100-300 f4. either that of the Pentax 60-250 f4. photozone rated the sigma excellent. I hope the pentax have the same standard...lately except for the limited lenses that I cannot afford/justify, Pentax does not have many lenses that I desire. Somehow I feel Pentax dont make lenses like they used to.

http://www.dpreview.com

Samsung also announces the launch of two new lenses. These lenses have been designed to enable real freedom in the creative process and include: 18-55mm II F3.5~F5.6 and 18-250mm F3.5~F6.3. The lenses are also compatible with Samsung’s popular GX-10 DSLR.

Samsung 18-250mm F3.5~F6.3 coming....:sweat:

DA18250 lens was just reviewed by photozone:

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Pentax Lens Tests/367-pentax-smc-da-18-250mm-f35-63

Verdict
The Pentax SMC DA 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL [IF] is a worthy representative of its species. Naturally it is not comparable to more specialized zoom lenses, not to mention fix-focals, but within its scope it does a good job. This is especially true for the range below 100mm where its resolution can match many conventional zoom lenses. At 18mm the vignetting and distortion figures are fairly extreme though. At 135mm and more so at 250mm there's a drop in performance specifically at the max. aperture setting which should be generally avoided here. Lateral CAs are fairly well controlled except at the long end of the zoom range. The build quality of the lens is up to the usual Pentax DA standards which is a good thing. All-in-all a decent and affordable travel zoom lens but, unsurprisingly, not a lens for high performance lovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.