Pana FZ18 user!!! Come in here!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am assuming that no one has come across this problem. ;)
so far no problem for me, this problem i think affect US area only? because i mostly see them complaining about it

hi everyone...

WOndering whether should I get this camera or S5 ? Can anyone post here their night shots ? Is the camera gd ?

Thank u so much !

S5 has hotshoe

hi everyone...
WOndering whether should I get this camera or S5 ? Can anyone post here their night shots ? Is the camera gd ?
Thank u so much !

So far I can't see any prosumers that can come close to the Canon S5IS video mode. If your usage involves a lot of video making, then the Canon is good. Yes, it does come with a hotshoe, and taking into consideration that the in-built flash usually cannot make it, this gives you a very good option to use a proper flash unit.

FZ18, however, is lighter and gives you a wider and longer reach, and its menu is (I think) one of the clearest in the market. Image quality for day is good, but night you gotta exercise some caution.

FZ18 or S5is got better iso noise?

ya I also like FZ18 zoom and the weight. Me not too sure wat is the diff of the video mode between S5 and FZ 18. Mayb u can enlighten me ? Me use Fx01's movie mode before . For me alrt . Dun always shoot video, only at times.

U mean exercise wat caution ? Like tripod huh ?

Thanks for your reply!

So far I can't see any prosumers that can come close to the Canon S5IS video mode. If your usage involves a lot of video making, then the Canon is good. Yes, it does come with a hotshoe, and taking into consideration that the in-built flash usually cannot make it, this gives you a very good option to use a proper flash unit.

FZ18, however, is lighter and gives you a wider and longer reach, and its menu is (I think) one of the clearest in the market. Image quality for day is good, but night you gotta exercise some caution.

ya I also like FZ18 zoom and the weight. Me not too sure wat is the diff of the video mode between S5 and FZ 18. Mayb u can enlighten me ? Me use Fx01's movie mode before . For me alrt . Dun always shoot video, only at times.

Thanks for your reply!

I would advise people to buy S5 instead of FZ18 for the following reasons

1. Zoom lever is abit stiff
2. Can't use optical zoom when taking movie
3. Can't attach an external flash ( no hot shoe )

Are you FZ18 user ? Then how abt night shots ? S5 better ? Coz S5 zoom only 12x if I remember correctly and using rechargeable batteries which drains out and charge up longer time like many hrs rt ?

Thanks !

I would advise people to buy S5 instead of FZ18 for the following reasons

1. Zoom lever is abit stiff
2. Can't use optical zoom when taking movie
3. Can't attach an external flash ( no hot shoe )

Are you FZ18 user ? Then how abt night shots ? S5 better ? Coz S5 zoom only 12x if I remember correctly and using rechargeable batteries which drains out and charge up longer time like many hrs rt ?

Thanks !

I am a FZ50 user ( hence does not suffer the problems that I have mentioned earlier). The S5 uses normal AA battery, if you buy the re-chargeable ( 2700mAh) it would last longer than default battery from FZ18. High-cap battery = Longer re-charging time.

The Question for you is.... do you really need the additional zoom?

FZ18 or S5is got better iso noise?

The sensor size for both is the same. Panasonic's default noise reduction for high iso create a watercolor effect which cover the fine details of the picture. Hence I normally set it to LOW, and do the noise-reduction stuff from the computer instead...

If u want lower noise with high iso, go for Fuijifilm's Super CCD....

Thanks for your reply!

You can't zoom during video, and that's one lousy idea. I'd rather record some minor motor noise than lose out on this function totally. But if you don't shoot video much, then it probably don't bother you.

Panasonic has never been ranked high up on image quality especially at high ISO, though honestly for me, up to ISO 400 it's bearable. Anything more than that you'd see grainy images and washed out details. I have yet to see S5IS at work, but have used the S3IS before, and I dare say its low-light reproduction is a little better than the FZ18. Nothing to do with using tripods, and I must say its OIS is really good for arthritic hands like mine - it's the sensor and image processor.

Panasonic could well afford to do more about its sensor than using the same old 1/2.5 incher, taking into consideration that the FZ18 comes with such a fantastic Leica lens!

You can't zoom during video, and that's one lousy idea. I'd rather record some minor motor noise than lose out on this function totally. But if you don't shoot video much, then it probably don't bother you.

Panasonic has never been ranked high up on image quality especially at high ISO, though honestly for me, up to ISO 400 it's bearable. Anything more than that you'd see grainy images and washed out details. I have yet to see S5IS at work, but have used the S3IS before, and I dare say its low-light reproduction is a little better than the FZ18. Nothing to do with using tripods, and I must say its OIS is really good for arthritic hands like mine - it's the sensor and image processor.

Panasonic could well afford to do more about its sensor than using the same old 1/2.5 incher, taking into consideration that the FZ18 comes with such a fantastic Leica lens!

I agree with you that the Leica lens used by Panasonic's camera are much better than Canon's Powershots series. But I would say that they can't do much with the current sensor size.

As we all remember : Small Sensor + High Resolution + High ISO = NOISE

facing a problem with FZ-18....
when taking indoor photo with abit of dim lighting, i set my ISO to 400 as i need fast shutter speed. with this setting, it creates noise.
Anything i can do to overcome this? besides using software to reduce noise....
will additional slave flash wil help...?

facing a problem with FZ-18....
when taking indoor photo with abit of dim lighting, i set my ISO to 400 as i need fast shutter speed. with this setting, it creates noise.
Anything i can do to overcome this? besides using software to reduce noise....
will additional slave flash wil help...?
you can use flash to lit up your subject, but can you lit up the background? :dunno:
noise? live with it.. iso400 is still pretty alright

set to party mode and use sync flash

Hey guys, hows your snapping? Had been trying everything on this new baby!! This r the best shots i had. Nite shots/IR shots/Day shots. Some edited with photoshop CS2. Come check out this pics,mostly shot by FZ18 or FX1. http://www.flickr.com/photos/22922048@N07/ Im new too,pls tell me what u think.:thumbsup:

Hi guys,

I'll be getting an FZ18 next week or maybe tomorrow. depending on the financial flow. Anyways, need to know. What acessories should I get when I bought this camera? I'm more to outdoor pictures like Macro,landscape and some potraits for wedding.

Which camera shop sell cheaper? I only know Cathay photo. I dunno the price yet so thought of gg there to get it. or maybe you guys can recommend me other place?

Thank you very much. :)

Hi guys,

I'll be getting an FZ18 next week or maybe tomorrow. depending on the financial flow. Anyways, need to know. What acessories should I get when I bought this camera? I'm more to outdoor pictures like Macro,landscape and some potraits for wedding.

Which camera shop sell cheaper? I only know Cathay photo. I dunno the price yet so thought of gg there to get it. or maybe you guys can recommend me other place?

Thank you very much. :)

i thinking whether to sell mine to get dslr.
Mine is abt 2mths old with 3yrs warranty, with macro and wide lens, got filters, etc

Alamak, I just got mine yesterday. 2nd hand also.

Status
Not open for further replies.