Olympus E-P2 launched

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went through the hundreds of posts and replies and it struck me... really...

Many people who have made comments never really used the cameras intensively... which is why I had so much problems communicating with them.

My strongest advise for those who are really looking at buying a camera, regardless Panny, Oly, or any other brand, go hang out with the owners and ask to try the cameras extensively, then make up your own mind about the cameras. Really.

And while testing the cameras, look at the PICTURES taken by the owners... let the photos speak for themselves. If you are a photographer, you will know what you want and see if that particular system work for you or not.

Fast AF issues : Really... if one is looking at a fast AF system, the m43 system is really NOT for you... DSLRs with phase detection is anytime faster than the contrast detection system on m43 systems.

E-P2 workaround : C-AF Tracking. This is the new interesting feature that will help in the motion tracking for AF, but since it is still a CDAF camera, it will have its limitations... but I am quite certain there will be certain improvements because it was tested to shoot kids... finally someone in Olympus have young kids (knowing how old the big boys are in Olympus, maybe grandchildren?).

Image Quality : Something that always is top priority when choosing a new camera. And if you are a newbie in photography, and uses a lot of preset stuff or does not want to spend too much time tweaking, then the new function for iAuto Mode with i-Enhance will definitely make friends sit up and look at your images again... let's just say that the best just got better. But of course, good framing and shooting in "sensible amount of light" is still something that are part of the ingredient for a good picture.

New Art Filters just add to the list of "usable" features... Unless the earlier 6... both new Diorama and Cross Process Art Filters are awesome for those shooters who are not experts in Photoshop.

For the more seasoned photographer... I think the new EVF (VF-2) is the only reason needed to buy the new E-P2. E-3 sized view (1.14x magnification, no tunnel syndrome)... what else can anyone ask for?

I don't know about you, but for me, I think setting realistic expectations from a camera when I am buying it for a specific purpose. The m43 is a GREAT COMPANION to a DSLR system but as for 2009, it is not a replacement to the DSLR UNLESS you are (1) replacing a PnS camera, (2) travel or food photographer or someone who shoots inanimate objects or (3) you are bloody good at manual focusing.

For everything else, this year, you have the Canon 1DS MkIV. That is going to be the AF King this Christmas... if you expect the m43's CDAF to perform like phase detection system... you really need a doctor.

....what else can anyone ask for?

......For everything else, this year, you have the Canon 1DS MkIV. That is going to be the AF King this Christmas... if you expect the m43's CDAF to perform like phase detection system... you really need a doctor.

I ask for cheap cheap. HAHAHAHA!! No cheap means cannot buy :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Think u meant 1D MK4 right? 1Ds4 not news yet, unless u r hinting some stuff coming soon before yr ends :angel:

I went through the hundreds of posts and replies and it struck me... really...

Many people who have made comments never really used the cameras intensively... which is why I had so much problems communicating with them.

I suppose I'm one of those people. I'm looking at the bodies and I have some understanding of what capabilities they have but I have yet to use either. A lot of other people don't know how to approach them because they're confused about the new category. I suppose they don't remember the 35mm point and shoot cameras of the 1980s and 1990s that were so popular or that they had very good image quality but more limited lens choices.

Any of the micro Four-Thirds cameras already has a following and some decent sales. We'll see what happens when Samsung start to sell their NX model, especially if Pentax are simply a part of Samsung, sold by Hoya. I believe that the rest of the APS-C crowd are preparing models but are waiting to see how Samsung does with one.

i recently tested EP-1 and GF1 at Courts. assuming the EP-1 has same speed as EP-2...

the EP-1 to me its about the same speed as a PnS camera, focuses in less than a second. GF1 is twice faster. both had some wrong focusing problems especially when shooting in macro. workaround here is to focus and recompose

EP-1 in-body IS is a BIG help. had a lot of blurred shots using the GF1

they say EP-1 LCD is inferior... but i actually like it more than the GF-1. it looks more contrasty to me which i prefer

note: this is just a casual comparison. im still undecided which one to get as well

thx for your insight. im still undecided too. interested in the ep2 cos of form factor, colors in jpg (i am going to use it mostly to photograph my kids and don't want to process much) and the movie features. im impressed with the movie samples and theres a mic port. I thot of using its movie capability for my work.

The best thing is to try the camera first and then decide if it works for you.
If you are shooting kids, seems like Olympus has tested the C-AF Tracking on kids. Interesting.

The only problem now is, when you are using the EVF, you cannot attach an external flash. Hmmm...:think:

c-af tracking looks like those security surveillance softwares, object / motion tracking...interesting for kids i agree. hope it works well too.

IMHO: evf is for day where lcd is diff to see and can probably have longer battery life. flash is for low light situations, not sure how well evf works on low light also,so can't comment, but still have lcd screen and bigger than evf, so use like a ep1...and the evf is cool like rangefinder...looks/colours is sadly not on par to ep1. or maybe ep1 looks thrilled us too much that we expect more than we shld

no flash...no prob, i seldom use fill in flash, even i had to, i never find the pics appealing. and with iso 6400, i might just prefer to have noisy pics then overexposed faces...

really have to feel and play with it to know how it compares to ep1/gf1. there's strengths and weakness in every system, it's about knowing it and accept it/work around it...

no flash...no prob, i seldom use fill in flash, even i had to, i never find the pics appealing. and with iso 6400, i might just prefer to have noisy pics then overexposed faces...
I think you might have misconception of what fill-in flash and flash does, there are times when the foreground is brighter than the subject thus fill-in will light your subject properly, high ISO will expose evenly but not necessarily light up your subject the way fill-in flash can.

If you have never used fill-in flash, you are losing out on a great feature, you should try it sometime.

Having said all the above, the big advantage I see in E-P2 has is the Body-IS and the art filters is going to save alot of time PP, there are some cons but guess what is more important to the user and for each to decide.

Oh, Titanium looks much nicer than black...

../azul123

I think you might have misconception of what fill-in flash and flash does, there are times when the foreground is brighter than the subject thus fill-in will light your subject properly, high ISO will expose evenly but not necessarily light up your subject the way fill-in flash can.

If you have never used fill-in flash, you are losing out on a great feature, you should try it sometime.

Having said all the above, the big advantage I see in E-P2 has is the Body-IS and the art filters is going to save alot of time PP, there are some cons but guess what is more important to the user and for each to decide.

Oh, Titanium looks much nicer than black...

../azul123

Yeah, but not a weak and useless flash. A decent GN36 and above flash is useful at times. Not all the time. There is such thing as compensation of exposure and change of shooting position my friend. Granted there are times you die-die must need a fill in flash. Or reflector.

if E-P2 is out next Jan, then the E-P1 price should have drop in order to clear stock.

First week of December landing in Singapore. No need to wait so long for Singapore.

the new function for iAuto Mode with i-Enhance will definitely make friends sit up and look at your images again...

New Art Filters just add to the list of "usable" features... Unless the earlier 6... both new Diorama and Cross Process Art Filters are awesome for those shooters who are not experts in Photoshop.

both iAuto Mode and art filter are more a firmware technology. If Olympus willing to build that in the latest firmware, EP1 owner could enjoy these features as well.

let see how generous Olympus treat the 1st batch of m4/3 owner....

Yeah, but not a weak and useless flash. A decent GN36 and above flash is useful at times. Not all the time. There is such thing as compensation of exposure and change of shooting position my friend. Granted there are times you die-die must need a fill in flash. Or reflector.

First week of December landing in Singapore. No need to wait so long for Singapore.
yeah GN14 can't really do much, but sometimes all you need is for pop-up to act as trigger to other flashes.

../azul123

Obviously, E-P1/E-P2 buyers are ok without built-in flash - besides the looks appeal, maybe they are available light / darkness enthusiasts who dislike artificial light like Bresson (mostly those from Rangefinder circles), or they have an external flash. Well, to each his own, consumers have a choice.

Anyway, EVF and external flash cannot be used together. But just for information, if one really needs to use together, might as well add one more item to the system as backup, a grip like the ones below. Cold shoe so use Auto or Manual mode, which are fine. For TTL, use the flash cord into the camera. Adds more bulk, but shouldn't be an issue if used occasionally only.

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-BK01-FL-BK01-Flash-Bracket/dp/B0000510VF

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-kaiser-k1100-folding-flash-bracket/p1006101

"Advantages :

Flash brackets are designed to increase the distance between the flash and the lens in order to minimize the occurrence of redeye and flash-shadows behind the subject.

By using an "L" shaped bracket the flash is slightly off-center, which also adds a little more dimension to the face in portrait photography."

I think when you reach a certain age with eyes failing... your perspective might change. :bsmilie:

For now if you can focus accurately using the LCD.. good for you, many of us who needs the EVF bcos we old men. :sweatsm:

../azul123

is there some sort of focus indicator in the EVF? if not i dont see how it will help those of us with failing eyesight.

both iAuto Mode and art filter are more a firmware technology. If Olympus willing to build that in the latest firmware, EP1 owner could enjoy these features as well.

let see how generous Olympus treat the 1st batch of m4/3 owner....

i hope they do that. the only feature which really makes the E-P2 different from the E-P1 is the EVF.

i hope they do that. the only feature which really makes the E-P2 different from the E-P1 is the EVF.

And I have to say the C-AF Tracking too... but that has yet to be tested... but if it works as advertised, it is a revolutionary AF system for CDAF cameras. One of a kind.

is there some sort of focus indicator in the EVF? if not i dont see how it will help those of us with failing eyesight.
The EVF for me is mostly to be used with manual lens, once you turn the focusing ring it should zoom in to aid you with precise focusing.

../azul123

prompting ahead in case your next question is, isn't that what the LCD does as well? yes... but bear in mind for those far sighted and using reading glass they can't see close enough to get precise focusing, that's where the EVF aid us.

../azul123

Status
Not open for further replies.