OFFICIAL: CANON EOS 6D - User Thread - Part 3

Anyone experienced this?
The 6D can lock focus when half press shutter, I.e can hear beep and see focus point turn green. but can't release it to take picture.

I met this yesterday afternoon.
So I tried reboot
Put lens in manual mode
Use live view mode
Take out battery, card
Swap battery
Re sit lens
Reset all settings
All didn't work . It only works when using EOS remote app.

When I back home, I tried another lens. It now can shoot! And now change back the lens all seems normal now!

Since you said it only worked when using your EOS remote app, probably the app was overriding things when it was connected?

If you want to know the cause for sure, you need to try reproducing the error.

Anyone experienced this?
The 6D can lock focus when half press shutter, I.e can hear beep and see focus point turn green. but can't release it to take picture.

I met this yesterday afternoon.
So I tried reboot
Put lens in manual mode
Use live view mode
Take out battery, card
Swap battery
Re sit lens
Reset all settings
All didn't work . It only works when using EOS remote app.

When I back home, I tried another lens. It now can shoot! And now change back the lens all seems normal now!

any place to hands on tamron lens? heard the zoom ring n focus swap place not sure

Yes, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC's zoom ring is located near the front element, and the focus ring is located near the rear element. I think the zoom rotation direction is.. opposite of Canon, same as Nikon.

If memory serves me right, Tamron 10-24 (for crop) behaves similarly. Other Tamron lenses, I don't know.

For some people it's a big issue, for some others no.

any place to hands on tamron lens? heard the zoom ring n focus swap place not sure

Last edited:
i check 2 rent shop don have not popular enough

i check 2 rent shop don have not popular enough

Which lens are you trying to try?

Yes, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC's zoom ring is located near the front element, and the focus ring is located near the rear element. I think the zoom rotation direction is.. opposite of Canon, same as Nikon.

Yes, it's completely opposite of Canon zoom and focus direction... takes some time to get used to.

Last edited:
hi, im currently using 60d + sigma 17-50mm and i am deciding whether to buy a new lens or upgrade to 6d for my overseas trip. what do u guys think? new lens or upgrade?

hi, im currently using 60d + sigma 17-50mm and i am deciding whether to buy a new lens or upgrade to 6d for my overseas trip. what do u guys think? new lens or upgrade?

Perhaps you can share a bit about the limitations you have with your current gears and what goals you would like to achieve by upgrading?

u already have lens for full frame camera (EF mount, not EF-S)?

Perhaps you can share a bit about the limitations you have with your current gears and what goals you would like to achieve by upgrading?

i am hoping to upgrade my camera or lens to get a higher image quality photo in terms of sharpness and color

i am hoping to upgrade my camera or lens to get a higher image quality photo in terms of sharpness and color

If shooting at iso100, you will see little to no image quality improvement.

Sharpness wise, it's dependant on the lens rather than the sensor. And tbh, there are alot more things to worry about than about the sharpness.

my current lens is sigma 17-50mm 2.8f, not for full frame camera.

It's actually a great lens. If you are looking to compliment it, the 10-18 is an great option for ultra wide

Hmm color yes, i'm quite sure that 6d gives better color, especially in high iso or low light compared to 60d. However how often do you shoot in such situation? If you shoot mainly on daylight & low iso, i believe you won't be able to tell the difference between both.

For sharpness, i guess it's more on the lens.

Now if you have budget for both, then by all means go & upgrade both. If you don't, then only you can decide which to upgrade first (or not upgrading at all).

If shooting at iso100, you will see little to no image quality improvement.

Sharpness wise, it's dependant on the lens rather than the sensor. And tbh, there are alot more things to worry about than about the sharpness.

It's actually a great lens. If you are looking to compliment it, the 10-18 is an great option for ultra wide

Hmm color yes, i'm quite sure that 6d gives better color, especially in high iso or low light compared to 60d. However how often do you shoot in such situation? If you shoot mainly on daylight & low iso, i believe you won't be able to tell the difference between both.

For sharpness, i guess it's more on the lens.

Now if you have budget for both, then by all means go & upgrade both. If you don't, then only you can decide which to upgrade first (or not upgrading at all).

thanks for the reply!

really tempted to buy 6d kit II now. i checked out the price and its $2,7xx after less $200 trade in. is the lens 24-70mm 4L good enough for travel, taking sceneries?

thanks for the reply!

really tempted to buy 6d kit II now. i checked out the price and its $2,7xx after less $200 trade in. is the lens 24-70mm 4L good enough for travel, taking sceneries?

Yes, 6D + 24-70 f4 is a good combo. But are you sure your 60D + 17-50 can't do the same? :)

Yes, 6D + 24-70 f4 is a good combo. But are you sure your 60D + 17-50 can't do the same? :)

that im not sure about it cos i nv use 6d before. what do u tink? :cool:

thanks for the reply!

Sure, it's good enough for travel and such, but I can't see why you think your current setup is not up to the task.

In all honesty, If your skills does not match the equipment, new camera/lens only mean better color/sharper crap.

Otoh, if money is of no concern at all, just go buy whatever your heart is telling you.

that im not sure about it cos i nv use 6d before. what do u tink? :cool:

Let me say this. I was in your position. Switched from 60D to 6D. Why? To be able to use vintage manual lenses on their true focal length.

What I gain: as above. And perhaps the better high iso output when required.

What I lost: all cross type AF points, spread nicely on the frame. Cheap & lightweight crop lenses.

What I unable to distinguish: the better color depth / DR supppsedly offerred by full frame bodies.