Official Canon 550D User Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's pretty cool. im planning to go Universal Studios next month, but don't know if i shld bring my camera cuz of the fear of getting it wet.

hey guys

spent the whole day at universal studios today. i drained one and a half-filled battery on the 550d with the battery grip. both original batts. i shot around 700 photos and kept about 350. i'm shooting in raw+jpeg, with external flash and half-lit LCD. overall, i'm impressed with the battery performance. i could've tweaked the settings to save more juice, but i guess i'm also lucky that the battery meter blinked only when we were on our way home while i was reviewing the photos.

just sharing my experience with the original battery and the grip. :)

hi there, u are already on the original grip with extra original battery? wor... how much u got them for bro? cos i will be going to uss this saturday and i wanna make sure i can last the day too. thanx...

Hi people,

I have a question regarding the focusing speed of the 550D in comparison with the 7D.
the spec of 550D states that it can handle 3.5 frames per sec where as the 7D is roughly 8.

I understand that it refers to shutterspeed. But does that also translate to mean that the focusing speed of the 7D is faster than the 550D?
(i hope this is not a stupid question to ask) :embrass:

Hi people,

I have a question regarding the focusing speed of the 550D in comparison with the 7D.
the spec of 550D states that it can handle 3.5 frames per sec where as the 7D is roughly 8.

I understand that it refers to shutterspeed. But does that also translate to mean that the focusing speed of the 7D is faster than the 550D?
(i hope this is not a stupid question to ask) :embrass:

Hi, I just bought a Canon 550D and I think the 3.5fps refers to the burst mode. Means you can take approximately 3.5 photos in one seconds. Correct me anyone if I'm wrong.

Hi all,

Where can I get a screen protector for my Canon 550D? I bought it 2 weeks ago at SLR Revolution and the salesman who attended to me told me that the 'official' screen protector for the 550D is not out yet.

Any idea if it's out yet?

hi there, u are already on the original grip with extra original battery? wor... how much u got them for bro? cos i will be going to uss this saturday and i wanna make sure i can last the day too. thanx...
yep, got them about two weeks ago at AP. 205 for bg, 80 for original battery.
that's pretty cool. im planning to go Universal Studios next month, but don't know if i shld bring my camera cuz of the fear of getting it wet.
i had someone with me who always stayed behind. so i left the camera with her when going to waterworld har har :bsmilie: but yesterday it was really sunny, so i guess the bigger enemy was heat rather than water (unless you come on a rainy day!). i also had a point and shoot with me so i can bring in during the rollercoaster rides (don't tell universal studios about it) hehe
Hi all,

Where can I get a screen protector for my Canon 550D? I bought it 2 weeks ago at SLR Revolution and the salesman who attended to me told me that the 'official' screen protector for the 550D is not out yet.

Any idea if it's out yet?
read a few pages back bro, i think soons or someone else has some or links where to buy. i got mine from ebay for $2.60 (incl shipping). doesn't fit perfectly (about 5mm miss), but hey it's cheap! i'm now contemplating on getting that glass screen protector hmm

In terms of focusing speed on a subject.
Will the 7D be faster than 550D?
or is it the same?

(may I know where you bought your 550D? good price? can PM me? thankyou)

Hi, I just bought a Canon 550D and I think the 3.5fps refers to the burst mode. Means you can take approximately 3.5 photos in one seconds. Correct me anyone if I'm wrong.

If anyone still wants the GGS glass protector for 550D let me know by this week before i order le. :)
Approx $13-$14ish.

Last edited:
It is ok to record for UNLIMITED LENGTH, so long the file size does not exceed 4GB FAT32 limit per file.

Of course i know the birate difference between SD and HD. Read post #826 on this page.

I think my post wasn't clear:
Click here to read more about FAT.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

Hi. I understand the FAT file size limitations. This applies to both DSLRs and videocams that record to flash memory cards.

For me, the question is whether the camera will keep recording on to the next file automatically, which a videocam will do, or just stop and wait for the user to press the button again, which is what 550D does. I cannot see any technical reason why the DSLR cannot record longer durations than 12 minutes in HD, since the videocam can already do this.

Hi,

Any reviews on the 3rd party battery? which brand to get?

Hi. I understand the FAT file size limitations. This applies to both DSLRs and videocams that record to flash memory cards.

For me, the question is whether the camera will keep recording on to the next file automatically, which a videocam will do, or just stop and wait for the user to press the button again, which is what 550D does. I cannot see any technical reason why the DSLR cannot record longer durations than 12 minutes in HD, since the videocam can already do this.
I guess Video cams are not using FAT.

@skyymanz
I am using a 3rd party batt I had the link posted a few pages ago. The 1180mAh 7.2V 1 from ebay.

Last edited:
My 550d stopped recording today! Said card was full but it's not... I waited a bit in case it was camera overheating but still could not record despite many minutes later. The card is NOT full (it's an 8gb card, stopped after more than 3gb full). I could still take stills but no more video recording.

It could be that my pendrive sd card (came w/ the camera upon purchase) is not class 6 standard.

Where can I buy Class 6 and above HCSD cards???

Anyone with this problem? Darn...

If anyone still wants the GGS glass protector for 550D let me know by this week before i order le. :)
Approx $13-$14ish.

How easy is it to apply the GGS on the screen? is it as cumbersome as the normal screen protector?. I always have trouble applying the normal screen protector.;p

How easy is it to apply the GGS on the screen? is it as cumbersome as the normal screen protector?. I always have trouble applying the normal screen protector.;p
I use that on my old 350D which I sold it off in flavour of 550D. I prefer GGS glass protector than most screen protector film. However, once sticked, removing the glass protector will likely means spoiling the protector.

U should be too concern about 50mm MKI & MKII as their difference is quite minimal. the older 50mm is more expensive.

If u are curious on their difference, here is it:
First version:
ef_50_18.jpg

MKII:
ef_50_18ii.jpg

Both are using Micro-motor. Focusing speed should be the same based on specs. Optically same also. First version do not have FTM FYI.

Pardon me, but what's FTM? That's the only difference? Then i guess it's just a newer version each time and the naming convention Canon gives 'em.

hey guys

spent the whole day at universal studios today. i drained one and a half-filled battery on the 550d with the battery grip. both original batts. i shot around 700 photos and kept about 350. i'm shooting in raw+jpeg, with external flash and half-lit LCD. overall, i'm impressed with the battery performance. i could've tweaked the settings to save more juice, but i guess i'm also lucky that the battery meter blinked only when we were on our way home while i was reviewing the photos.

just sharing my experience with the original battery and the grip. :)

Cool! I'm sure you had fun as I went there and took about 400-500+ pics haha..

Don't worry as there will be lockers around for you to use, some are free for a period of time, some you'll have to pay.

Approx $13-$14ish.

Me, i'm interested to place order for 1 piece. :) Hopefully it isn't hard to apply.

Pardon me, but what's FTM? That's the only difference? Then i guess it's just a newer version each time and the naming convention Canon gives 'em.

Cool! I'm sure you had fun as I went there and took about 400-500+ pics haha..

Don't worry as there will be lockers around for you to use, some are free for a period of time, some you'll have to pay.

Me, i'm interested to place order for 1 piece. :) Hopefully it isn't hard to apply.
FTM = Full Time Manual. Found in ring USM lens.
Both 50mm are optically same. The older 50mm is more expensive then current MKII.

BTW, I take back on words on the GGS protector, I just learnt that brother XC Pictorial (http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/member.php?u=30326) just brought it a shipment of GGS protector. Remember to mention my name just incase he might give further discount. ;)

If not wrong it's not available still :(

' Sorry but this item is currently unavailable.

Please check back at a later stage. '

I use that on my old 350D which I sold it off in flavour of 550D. I prefer GGS glass protector than most screen protector film. However, once sticked, removing the glass protector will likely means spoiling the protector.

BTW, I take back on words on the GGS protector, I just learnt that brother XC Pictorial (http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/member.php?u=30326) just brought it a shipment of GGS protector. Remember to mention my name just incase he might give further discount. ;)

Just did a bit of reading up.. whoo no air bubbles.. which was my big headache. But what if one day its severly scratched and I would like to change it?

ermm... so now we approach him?

Status
Not open for further replies.