Official Canon 550D User Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

agoodfella

Mar 5, 2010
OK, at the risk of starting yet another 550D thread (I might suggest that a moderator consolidate all of the existing threads into this one)...

I figured its about time someone start an Official 550D thread, everyone welcome! :bsmilie:

Last edited:
i newbies here, got my 550D KitI +55-250mm at IT show.

think i got the wrong lens combination. i should have bought the body and get a sec hand 18-200mm lens. :cry:

think i got the wrong lens combination. i should have bought the body and get a sec hand 18-200mm lens. :cry:

Congrats! Why do you say you got the wrong lens combo?

why do you think you got the wrong combo?:think:

why do you think you got the wrong combo?:think:

Cos i take zoom in most of the time and at time might need wide angle. ended up i have to change the lens now and then.

with 18-55mm is not enough. that is why i think 18-200mm will be good.

correct me if i am wrong and would like to learn more about the advantage of having a separate lens. :confused:

9efc34f5.jpg

Reporting in...
Still find this a little impulse purchase at ITshow... Gerrr....
But then, live view is really good... I am shooting with liveview more than ViewFinder... ^_^
Light metering at night is very good.

advantage for twin combo - Price, IQ (personally dont see a super huge difference)
disadvantage for twin combo - hassle of changing lens (some agrue this is why u want to get a dslr)
any bro wanna add on?

9efc34f5.jpg

Reporting in...
Still find this a little impulse purchase at ITshow... Gerrr....
But then, live view is really good... I am shooting with liveview more than ViewFinder... ^_^
Light metering at night is very good.

how is the liveview compared to 500D? just wonder...
anyway, just enjoy ur new toy!

how is the liveview compared to 500D? just wonder...
anyway, just enjoy ur new toy!
I find focusing is faster compared to 500D, but still not as lightning fast as most digital cameras, but still a good improvement...

I am glad that my Nissin Di866 flash can use on this camera without any issue.
Next item on shopping list: External Mic... (Sigh)

Yup, focusing in the center is now sensitive to lens f/2.8 or faster.
Tried using lens 50 1.4, the focus is accurate...

I also really like the AUTO ISO... quite surprise the camera can adjust the iso by 1/3 stop (i.e. iso 320).
When mounted 50mm, (Av Mode) the speed is maintained at about 1/60 sec.

I also really like the AUTO ISO... quite surprise the camera can adjust the iso by 1/3 stop (i.e. iso 320).
lolx, i meant live view contrast focusing. Focusing algothrim is better than my 350D, but I find Nikon's D90 focus is faster via the points.

Noise comparison, check out this webby:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T2i-550D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Review.aspx
Only a very little shy from 7D, ISO3200 improvement from 500D is quite a distance imho.

Oh yeah, 1 thing I HATE most: no more quick AF points selection from 350D. A little piss off, but then, at night, other than the centre X-AF point, other AF point hardly can lock focus without AF assist beam.

Last edited:
hi i am newbies here with canon 550D with kit (ef s18-55 is) too :)

You can get it changed bro as long as it is still in new condition. Last time, I bought the 500D 18-55 kit and changed it to 18-200 kit the next day with top up. :)

Here did u find the 1/3 iso adjustment btw?

You can get it changed bro as long as it is still in new condition. Last time, I bought the 500D 18-55 kit and changed it to 18-200 kit the next day with top up. :)
Really? 18-200mm is no longer offer as a kit package u know? or Are you refering to 18-135mm?

BTW, people, I always shoot with NR off, regardless of ISO. As I find Digic 4 Noise clean up is too harsh to use.

Last edited:
Really? 18-200mm is no longer offer as a kit package u know? or Are you refering to 18-135mm?

that is why i never get Kit II. if they have kit II package with 18-200mm will be great.
:(

T'was referring to the 500D.

It would be great if peeps would start their posts with their purchase dets:

I'll start: spent $1,375 at Alan Photo and for that I got:

- 550D Kit I (18-55mm Lens)
- Hoya UV Filter
- Lens Hood
- Dry Box
- Cleaning Kit
- (was going to get the screen protector, but no stock, anyone knows where they carry the 3.2 inch screen protector?)

Went to Canon (Keppel) and got my "freebies"
- 8GB
- Lens Workbook
- Crumpler Bag

So in the end, I feel like I got a really great deal considering that the IT Show price was $14xx.

Last edited:
i am getting the screen protector from ebay. will let you know whether it fix nicely or not.
as the screen of 550D is 50x70mm
normal 3.3" is 50x68mm or 3.5" 50.5 x70mm .

Status
Not open for further replies.