Nikon D40, D40x & D60 Compatible Lenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the list!! MODS PLEASE STICKY THIS.... pretty please... ;)

Not sure if this is the right place to ask.

D40 - works find with AFS18-70. But got problem with my old Tm28-200. After mounting it, error message asking me to turn aperture ring to F22. At F22, error message still there. Only got this problem like a week or so ago, when previously, it was working fine. Went to Cam Hospital and asked Steven. He said some interface problem and cost like 100++ to fix. Not sure if I wanna to repair.

Anyone got this or similar problem? Wonder if this is a common problem or just that I got A** luck.:(

Not sure if this is the right place to ask.

D40 - works find with AFS18-70. But got problem with my old Tm28-200. After mounting it, error message asking me to turn aperture ring to F22. At F22, error message still there. Only got this problem like a week or so ago, when previously, it was working fine. Went to Cam Hospital and asked Steven. He said some interface problem and cost like 100++ to fix. Not sure if I wanna to repair.

Anyone got this or similar problem? Wonder if this is a common problem or just that I got A** luck.:(

3rd party can never predict how Nikon structures the data used on their electronic interface. So they most they can do is do reverse engineering to find out. What they did to obtain how the lens should 'talk' to the body at that time may not be the entirely correct language/protocol, so with newer bodies they may not fully understand each other. Same goes for flash and other accessories which requires electronic communication.

There is nothing wrong with the interface just that it requires a new chip which is more well behaved that can 'talk' properly with the new body. So that's probably what the $100++ would be for.

La Fontaine, you can called up nsc to enquire about this problem with the technican over the phone and do ask for servicing quotation as well.

3rd party can never predict how Nikon structures the data used on their electronic interface. So they most they can do is do reverse engineering to find out. What they did to obtain how the lens should 'talk' to the body at that time may not be the entirely correct language/protocol, so with newer bodies they may not fully understand each other. Same goes for flash and other accessories which requires electronic communication.

There is nothing wrong with the interface just that it requires a new chip which is more well behaved that can 'talk' properly with the new body. So that's probably what the $100++ would be for.
Thanks Isisaxon for the reply. At the cam Hosp, Steven did try on a few of his lenses and confirmed that it is not due to third party lens, but the interface cannot read those D lenses, but OK with G and AF-S lenses. BTW, I have used my friend's 85mmF1.8D lens and worked flawlessly earlier with MF.

La Fontaine, you can called up nsc to enquire about this problem with the technican over the phone and do ask for servicing quotation as well.
Thanks Simon for the prompt. Will call NSC tomorrow and ask them and ask for a quote as well. Likely for info only as I am unlikely to send for repairs.

Thanks Isisaxon for the reply. At the cam Hosp, Steven did try on a few of his lenses and confirmed that it is not due to third party lens, but the interface cannot read those D lenses, but OK with G and AF-S lenses. BTW, I have used my friend's 85mmF1.8D lens and worked flawlessly earlier with MF.

Hmm... It cannot read D lenses.. Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the body? I'll need to find out what the wedge shaped switch at the bottom left of the lens mount does. Will get back after I see what it does. It might have something to do with it. :dunno:

Picture from http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond60/
lensmount-d40x.jpg

Edit: Yup.. Just tested.. The tab is used to tell the camera that the aperture ring is already at the minimum aperture via a tab on the aperture ring. Maybe the tab on the lens you used is damaged or the plastic wedge on the body is damaged?

too bad for me i forgot about the "Carl Zeiss" glasses.

Carl Zeiss Planar T*50mm f/1.4 Nikon mount can be bought with a very affordable price of S$19,745 :bigeyes:

Quite cheat!!

Wah like that can go double D3

Picture from http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond60/
lensmount-d40x.jpg

Edit: Yup.. Just tested.. The tab is used to tell the camera that the aperture ring is already at the minimum aperture via a tab on the aperture ring. Maybe the tab on the lens you used is damaged or the plastic wedge on the body is damaged?

Thank you very much, Isisaxon. Really appreciate it for all your effort. I will go back tonight and check it.

Bump for those who miss it on the first page.:gbounce:

Any luck?

Hi Bro Isisaxon, have been very, very busy and didn't have time to check it.

Checked liao. Yeah, it is the plastic tab in the camera that is damaged by a lens. Went to NSC to ask them to check. To change that tab, it cost a whopping $100 for parts and labour.

So, just live with it la. So, if I wanna to use a D lens, just have to be careful and manually push down that tab.

Or, if I got time, I might wanna to try filing and smoothen down the tab to see if it works. I will report back soon.

Hi Bro Isisaxon, have been very, very busy and didn't have time to check it.

Checked liao. Yeah, it is the plastic tab in the camera that is damaged by a lens. Went to NSC to ask them to check. To change that tab, it cost a whopping $100 for parts and labour.

So, just live with it la. So, if I wanna to use a D lens, just have to be careful and manually push down that tab.

Or, if I got time, I might wanna to try filing and smoothen down the tab to see if it works. I will report back soon.

If you're game enough, you can find a small piece of plastic, glue it on the broken tab and try to sculp the excess off to form the correct shape using a hot knife (so that you will not generate plastic debris). It will take some steady hands though. Another option is to use epoxy and build it up to shape slowly layer by layer like how dentists do cosmetic filling for front teeth.

If you're game enough, you can find a small piece of plastic, glue it on the broken tab and try to sculp the excess off to form the correct shape using a hot knife (so that you will not generate plastic debris). It will take some steady hands though. Another option is to use epoxy and build it up to shape slowly layer by layer like how dentists do cosmetic filling for front teeth.

Many thanks Bro Isisaxon for the suggestion.
The small piece of plastic works like the typical door locking tab that is wedge shape so that when you close the door the tab would slide in and then out to hold the door closed.

Now, the plastic tab in the D40, being plastic, is dented by the sharp tab of a lens, so, it gets jammed and doesn't slide in.

I will try filing it down to see if it works. Also, I will see if lubricating with silicone grease might help. Well, I guess the best way would be to use epoxy to build it up as a more or less permanent solution.

Well, I will only try this when I have plenty of time.:)

If you look at the image of the D40x mount and compared with that of the D80, you will notice that the tab of the D40/D40x is the wedge kind of tab that could readily jam or damaged. In the case of a D80, it is a sliding switch, which is a way better design.

On this National Day, I did a little DIY in the morning.

Using some fine sandpaper, wrapped over the file of a nailclipper, I got the wedge shape tab of the D40 filed down to smoothen the surface. Tried with my old Tamron28-200 lens, it worked. Noticed that the wedge tab is now grey in colour, I got a marker pen to colour in back to black. Then, to make doubly sure that it is smooth, I applied a little Singer oil on the surface. So, this time, it is really smooth and flawless. And my D40 is now working like perfect.

As I got a bit more time in my hands, I did some cleaning of the lens mount as well, both the cam side and the lens side.

On this National Day, I did a little DIY in the morning.

Using some fine sandpaper, wrapped over the file of a nailclipper, I got the wedge shape tab of the D40 filed down to smoothen the surface. Tried with my old Tamron28-200 lens, it worked. Noticed that the wedge tab is now grey in colour, I got a marker pen to colour in back to black. Then, to make doubly sure that it is smooth, I applied a little Singer oil on the surface. So, this time, it is really smooth and flawless. And my D40 is now working like perfect.

As I got a bit more time in my hands, I did some cleaning of the lens mount as well, both the cam side and the lens side.

Good for you! :) :thumbsup:

I don't think the Sigma 50/1.4 HSM is out on f-mount yet, but the Canon version is already out here in Japan. It's about 650++ SGD. I don't expect the Nikon F-mount version to cost any less, unfortunately.

That places it way over the Nikon 50/1.4 - bad news for us D40/40X/60 users hoping to get a 50/1.4 prime with AF compatibility at a "happy" price. :(

Anyway there are a few third-party lenses more expensive than Nikkors on the market. Look no further than the Carl Zeiss lenses on F-mount. Hehe.

sorry guys, im quite a noob. so if Sigma 50/f1.4 HSM is not out on f-mount, we can't fit it on the d40 right? :sweat:

also, any idea if this Sigma 50/1.4 HSM lens can auto focus on a d40?

sorry guys, im quite a noob. so if Sigma 50/f1.4 HSM is not out on f-mount, we can't fit it on the d40 right? :sweat:

also, any idea if this Sigma 50/1.4 HSM lens can auto focus on a d40?

What is HSM?
HSM stands for "Hyper Sonic Motor". The HSM motor is driven by ultrasonic waves and it makes auto focusing, precise, silent and high-speed. Sigma's HSM version lenses are available only for AF Sigma, Canon and Nikon AF cameras.

And since all Nikon DSLR support HSM (I think confirm please) YES it will AF on D40/X & D60. :)

And since all Nikon DSLR support HSM (I think confirm please) YES it will AF on D40/X & D60. :)

It's not for Nikon to support HSM.. It's for the 3rd party makers to make their lenses to be compatible with the camera manufacturers. Nikon does not need to be responsible if 3rd party lenses don't work.

It's not for Nikon to support HSM.. It's for the 3rd party makers to make their lenses to be compatible with the camera manufacturers. Nikon does not need to be responsible if 3rd party lenses don't work.

Sorry i think i need to rephrase that one.

"And since all Nikon DSLR is compatible with HSM so YES it will AF on D40/X & D60"

Thanks for confirming.

Status
Not open for further replies.