Newbie Guide to Filters

Noob question, if I use my 6 stop screw on + a 10 stop 100mm will I get as bad vignetting as using a 10 stop screw on with the 6 stop screw on?

Thanks in advance.

Noob question, if I use my 6 stop screw on + a 10 stop 100mm will I get as bad vignetting as using a 10 stop screw on with the 6 stop screw on?

Thanks in advance.

It really depends on your lens and focal length used.

I'm currently using a Tokina 11-16 mainly at 11mm. Could you please explain more? Thanks :)

Construction of the lens matters, some lenses are more forgiving due to the design, some are a little less. For the Tokina 116, it is actually less forgiving. I am quite sure you will run into vignetting problems if you stack filters.

Also, the longer the focal length, the less vignetting you will get because the FOV becomes narrower, thus the rings on the edge affect it less.

heyy does anyone know about th yashica "best in japan" circular polarizer or the hercules one.. i kinda bought the hercules ... 77mm one at 50 bucks and well it does says multicoated and high quality.

heyy does anyone know about th yashica "best in japan" circular polarizer or the hercules one.. i kinda bought the hercules ... 77mm one at 50 bucks and well it does says multicoated and high quality.

Haha every filter brand says they are the best and of highest quality. I've used Hercules before and it degrades the IQ a bit though not obvious. $50 is quite ex for a 77mm UV filter but alright for a CPL IMO.

Anyway this is kinda random but I wanna start landscape photography. I only know abit of basics from some magazines. What brand of nd filters is recommended. Im on a budget of 200 bucks

Anyway this is kinda random but I wanna start landscape photography. I only know abit of basics from some magazines. What brand of nd filters is recommended. Im on a budget of 200 bucks

What lens (diameter/focal length) are you using? The smaller the diameter the cheaper round filters are.

For reputable (and cheap) brands, you can try Haida/lee sw150/cokin P series

What lens (diameter/focal length) are you using? The smaller the diameter the cheaper round filters are.

I wouldn't really call Lee SW150 cheap... ;) Haida and Cokin are reasonable though.

very informative and thanks for sharing...

Learn something today...Haha..

Cheers :)

I wouldn't really call Lee SW150 cheap... ;) Haida and Cokin are reasonable though.

$509 is by no means cheap :(

Haida, now that's cheap and good :)

What about Carl Ziess filters ?
Also a very imformative post

Last edited:
Added information on Cross-banding on vari-ND filters.

Just a short question: I'm thinking of buying some Cokin filters. Which store would you recommend in SG and what would be the price? Currently I'm in Germany and was wondering if it would be better to buy them here befor visiting SG.

How is the Haida Circular Polarizer (CPL) Filter when compared with Marumi Super DHG?

Hi Guys,

Is is true that 14-24 can only adapt LEE filter system (SW150 - 150mm filter)?

Or is there any other cheaper brands which I use?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Thomas

Hi Guys, Is is true that 14-24 can only adapt LEE filter system (SW150 - 150mm filter)? Or is there any other cheaper brands which I use? Thanks in advance! Regards, Thomas

Our good friends Photosphere has 150mm Haida filters. Not sure if they have one specific to 14-24 in terms of holders.

I was looking for a circular polariser in local brick and mortar stores but they seemed pretty expensive... So I did a search online and found a store selling them for way cheaper (half-price or less). What do you guys think? Tried to link them but was told I'm not allowed to hmm... It's called GroupHunt, maybe you guys can try googling them?