Newbie Guide to Filters

im using that too. solid pouch been using it for close to 2 years now. it wont scratch the filter, same material as those old sch cd pouch if im nt wrong.

glad to know, I guess I will get one of this not that I have other choice.

Finally bought progrey and couple of hitech filter. Now, I'm looking for filter pouch. I saw lowepro S&F filter pouch 100 at TK photo, in fact that the only one that they have. The material used to house the filter feel quite rough, will it scratch the filter? Anyone using same pouch feel free to post your experience.

I am using it too. Been using it for more than 2 years now.

First of all, thanks Daredevil123 for this wonderful guide! However, I have a few doubts and I hope any CS-er can help clarify! Thanks!

1) As the Lee Filters set are a bit expensive for me, I was wondering if I could purchase the Hitech smaller size filters (smaller than 100mm) and fit them onto the Lee foundation kit with 77mm wide angle. Will the foundation kit be too big? The website stated that the size could be changed but I'm not sure up to which size.

2) Will there be any issues such as vignette if I use a smaller filter than 100mm? I'm using a canon dslr and am afraid the smaller lenses is not wide enough for me. If so, what are the advantages of buying a larger size filter too?

3) Are there any similar brands that have similar quality but slightly cheaper filters? And can fit onto the lee foundation kit too?

Thanks a lot if I can clear my doubts! Your help is very much appreciated!

First of all, thanks Daredevil123 for this wonderful guide! However, I have a few doubts and I hope any CS-er can help clarify! Thanks!

1) As the Lee Filters set are a bit expensive for me, I was wondering if I could purchase the Hitech smaller size filters (smaller than 100mm) and fit them onto the Lee foundation kit with 77mm wide angle. Will the foundation kit be too big? The website stated that the size could be changed but I'm not sure up to which size.

2) Will there be any issues such as vignette if I use a smaller filter than 100mm? I'm using a canon dslr and am afraid the smaller lenses is not wide enough for me. If so, what are the advantages of buying a larger size filter too?

3) Are there any similar brands that have similar quality but slightly cheaper filters? And can fit onto the lee foundation kit too?

Thanks a lot if I can clear my doubts! Your help is very much appreciated!

1) there is a cokin p series filter holder. It is 85mm by 85mm. You can basically use any 85by85 filters on the p series holder. Hitech is one of them, but do take note that it has quite a strong blue cast on its 10 stops filter.

2) Actually i dun quite get your qns. What lens are u using? What are the filter size of your lens? Take for example canon 85f1.8 lens is on 58mm size. What u need to do is just get an adapter ring of 58mm to fix onto it before putting on the cokin p series or lee foundation holder to use. The filters are fixed in size. It is the adapter ring which helps u.

3) Why do you need to use a lee filter? Have you tried using round filters? What is limiting you on the round filters that you have to change to Lee? LEE is not cheap. I will suggest either u start off with the 85mm square filters first or use round filters (haida nd filters are quite promising btw).

1) there is a cokin p series filter holder. It is 85mm by 85mm. You can basically use any 85by85 filters on the p series holder. Hitech is one of them, but do take note that it has quite a strong blue cast on its 10 stops filter.

2) Actually i dun quite get your qns. What lens are u using? What are the filter size of your lens? Take for example canon 85f1.8 lens is on 58mm size. What u need to do is just get an adapter ring of 58mm to fix onto it before putting on the cokin p series or lee foundation holder to use. The filters are fixed in size. It is the adapter ring which helps u.

3) Why do you need to use a lee filter? Have you tried using round filters? What is limiting you on the round filters that you have to change to Lee? LEE is not cheap. I will suggest either u start off with the 85mm square filters first or use round filters (haida nd filters are quite promising btw).

Sorry for my unclear questions. I will try to rephrase it again :)

2) Since Hitech has many size filters ranging from 67mm to 165mm, I was wondering what difference will such filters make to a Wide angle lens, say Canon 10-22mm (77mm filter thread) shot at 10mm, and Canon 17-55mm lens (77mm filter thread) shot at 17mm. I saw this form the Hitech website

85mm: This is the most popular size or hobbyist photographers using smaller consumer lenses. 85mm is slightly more compact overall (a plus for the photographer on the go), but may not have sufficient coverage for your widest or longest lenses.

and a Cokin P series website

For larger diameter lenses up to 82mm. Recommended for focal lengths from 28mm onwards(35mm format).

I do not know what will be the effect if I were to use the 85mm filters on the Canon 10-22mm and if the 85mm filters are even big enough for the 17-55mm lens.

3) I wanted Lee cos I could stack up different filters together at a time and it was easier to put square filters on rather than screwing on and off round filters.

Sorry for my unclear questions. I will try to rephrase it again :)

2) Since Hitech has many size filters ranging from 67mm to 165mm, I was wondering what difference will such filters make to a Wide angle lens, say Canon 10-22mm (77mm filter thread) shot at 10mm, and Canon 17-55mm lens (77mm filter thread) shot at 17mm. I saw this form the Hitech website

and a Cokin P series website

I do not know what will be the effect if I were to use the 85mm filters on the Canon 10-22mm and if the 85mm filters are even big enough for the 17-55mm lens.

3) I wanted Lee cos I could stack up different filters together at a time and it was easier to put square filters on rather than screwing on and off round filters.

2) i have used the 85mm filters on tokina 11-16 before. There isnt any vignette so that you can be rest assured

3) if that is the case, you will need 100 by 100 filters which will be more expensive. I suggest you head down to CP or TK to try out. I will suggest CP cos even if u are not going to buy, they wouldn't give you the black face. :)

2) i have used the 85mm filters on tokina 11-16 before. There isnt any vignette so that you can be rest assured 3) if that is the case, you will need 100 by 100 filters which will be more expensive. I suggest you head down to CP or TK to try out. I will suggest CP cos even if u are not going to buy, they wouldn't give you the black face. :)

Ok thanks a lot for your helpful advice! Will do that soon!

Hi all once again,

Sorry another question: will there be any disadvantages if I use a brandless generic filter holder and wide angle adapter that are very similar to genuine one just with slightly lousier build quality? I've seen a few from eBay but not sure if I should just get the lee foundation kit with WA 77mm adapter.

Hi all once again,

Sorry another question: will there be any disadvantages if I use a brandless generic filter holder and wide angle adapter that are very similar to genuine one just with slightly lousier build quality? I've seen a few from eBay but not sure if I should just get the lee foundation kit with WA 77mm adapter.

I have tried tianya filter holder on cokin and hitech 85by85 filters. They work fine. However due to the troublesome blue cast by hitech, i sold the set and jump straight to lee, using the original kit.
I have one progrey filter holder which holds lee 100 by 100 filters firmly but i get it because i wanna use a cpl before GND or big stopper.

Hi guys I'm looking to get my first set of filter in Singapore. Possible Cokin p series for their price. Lee and Hitech 100mm seem abit out of my price range.

I will be using it on nikon 24-70 so a 77mm fit, anyone had experience of the p range on this lens and if ok?

One last stupid question, what's the full name of the stores you all mention below and are they located at funan it mall?

CP & OP

Hi guys I'm looking to get my first set of filter in Singapore. Possible Cokin p series for their price. Lee and Hitech 100mm seem abit out of my price range.

I will be using it on nikon 24-70 so a 77mm fit, anyone had experience of the p range on this lens and if ok?

One last stupid question, what's the full name of the stores you all mention below and are they located at funan it mall?

CP & OP

OK as in will vignette or not?? It shouldn't be an issue for 24-70 since I'm using 17-40 on FF and it didn't vignette.

For the stores, refer to the price list's 1st post. Anyway, for easy reference..

AH: Audio House
AP-F: Alan Photo, #02-07 Funan The IT Mall | 6883-0922 | alanfoto@singnet.com.sg
AP-S: Alan Photo, #01-38 Sim Lim Square | 6336-0922 | alanfoto@singnet.com.sg
BC: BargainCity.com.sg
CP-1: Cathay Photo, #01-11, 14 Peninsula Plaza (Main) | 6337-4274 | email@cathayphoto.com.sg
CP-2: Cathay Photo, Peninsula (Printer Section) | 6338-7783 | email@cathayphoto.com.sg
CP-3: Cathay Photo, Peninsula (Tripod Section) | 6338-0451 | email@cathayphoto.com.sg
CP-M: Cathay Photo, #02-215, Marina Square | 6339-6188 | email@cathayphoto.com.sg
HN: Harvey Norman (various)
IP: Iphoto (formally known as Lord's Camera) 304 Orchard Road, #01-79, Lucky Plaza, Singapore 238863 | 6235 4248 | 6235 4605 | iphoto78@yahoo.com.sg
JO: John 3:16, #05-37 Funan Digitalife Mall | 6337-2877 | 6337-1897 | j316ps@gmail.com
MS: MS Color (Main), 711 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8, #01-3501C | 6457-6380 | sales@mscolor.com.sg
MS: MS Color (AMK Hub), 53 Ang Mo Kio Ave 3 #02-24 | 6452-2828 | sales@mscolor.com.sg
OP: Orient Photo, #06-31 | 53 Sim Lim Square | 6339-1035 | sales@orientfoto.com.sg
PA-N: Parisilk (North), 7 Transit Road | 6452-1593
PA-HV: Parisilk (Central), 15A Lorong Liput | 6466-6002
PA-E: Parisilk (East), Blk 214 #01-179 Bedok Central | 6441-6066
SLRR: SLR Revolution, #05-K7 Funan Digitalife Mall | 6336-8767 | slr.revo@gmail.com
TCW: The Camera Workshop, 3 Coleman Street #01-31 | 6336-1956 6336-7808 | tcwkshop@singnet.com.sg
TK: T.K. Foto Technic, #02-14 Funan Digitalife Mall | 6292-4533 | sales@tkfoto.com.sg | www.tkfoto.com.sg

I have tried tianya filter holder on cokin and hitech 85by85 filters. They work fine. However due to the troublesome blue cast by hitech, i sold the set and jump straight to lee, using the original kit. I have one progrey filter holder which holds lee 100 by 100 filters firmly but i get it because i wanna use a cpl before GND or big stopper.

Ohhh I see. Do you still happen to have the cokin P series filters? How are they compared to lee filters? Is there any colour casting? Thanks!

Ohhh I see. Do you still happen to have the cokin P series filters? How are they compared to lee filters? Is there any colour casting? Thanks!

Nope sold. I didnt use cokin filters but hitech. Was good to use but the colour cast is a hassle and I have had a hard time correcting.

Nope sold. I didnt use cokin filters but hitech. Was good to use but the colour cast is a hassle and I have had a hard time correcting.

The funny thing is a few years back the hitechs have no visible color casts even when stacked. Only the newer batches since 2 years ago.

Even some of the filters from Lee are showing some warm color casts nowadays, especially the 4 stops.

Last edited:
The funny thing is a few years back the hitechs have no visible color casts even when stacked. Only the newer batches since 2 years ago.

Even some of the filters from Lee are showing some warm color casts nowadays, especially the 4 stops.

You are right bro. I am quite disappointed by that. But I cant afford singh ray and above. I am using big stopper and gnd filters only. Else I am using the haida 3 and 6 stops. Cheaper and better alternative.

You are right bro. I am quite disappointed by that. But I cant afford singh ray and above. I am using big stopper and gnd filters only. Else I am using the haida 3 and 6 stops. Cheaper and better alternative.

Hmm but are you able to combine the Haida filters with the gnd filters? The Haida are screw-in while the lees are square right?

Hmm but are you able to combine the Haida filters with the gnd filters? The Haida are screw-in while the lees are square right?

photosphere has square haida filters now iirc

You can either use haida square filters or use progrey filter holder which can hold one screw in filter and square gnd filters

You can either use haida square filters or use progrey filter holder which can hold one screw in filter and square gnd filters
Ohhh I see so I'm assuming you are using square filters together with the Lee Holder?