Newbie Guide to Filters

I was looking for a circular polariser in local brick and mortar stores but they seemed pretty expensive... So I did a search online and found a store selling them for way cheaper (half-price or less). What do you guys think? Tried to link them but was told I'm not allowed to hmm... It's called GroupHunt, maybe you guys can try googling them?

it is better to get from here,

[h=3]Haida Slim Pro II MC Circular Polarizer (CPL) Filter[/h]
don't just take my words, check out the reviews first.

Thanks for your sharing information !

Anyone is using NiSi square filter system? Will it fit LEE filters and any vignette if using 16-35mm lens ? The v5 kit set is cheaper as compared to LEE foundation + adaptor + polarizer set but Nisi filters are not cheap too.

Thanks.

I would also like to know if anyone has any experience with the NiSi v5, and how it compares to the likes of LEE! Others have said that the filter guide rails are really tight, especially when fitting in LEE filters. Can anyone corroborate this?

Also, will my 82mm CPL fit nicely as a replacement to the default CPL that comes along with the NiSi v5?

Please for provide a link if this quesiton has being asked before.

For those who have used a different brands of CPL filter before.

If I stand at an angle shooting out through a glass panel with some reflection inside the room, does a better CPL filter able to cut down 100% of the reflection?

Thank You
EisMann

Please for provide a link if this quesiton has being asked before.

For those who have used a different brands of CPL filter before.

If I stand at an angle shooting out through a glass panel with some reflection inside the room, does a better CPL filter able to cut down 100% of the reflection?

Thank You
EisMann

No not 100% but better than not using it.Better cpl is relative it's like you prefer chicken rice or buku teh.Of course the quality of construction...flat parallel glass and precise smooth rotation.

CPL indoors and out:
http://photography.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-when-and-why-to-use-a-polarizing-filter--photo-1398

When not to use cpl:
http://digital-photography-school.com/when-not-to-use-a-polarizing-filter/

One-one-jack,

Thanks for the reply as well for the articles.

I wanted to have a CPL for my Olympus 12~40mm lens to shoot thru' glass panel like the sea world aquarium or outside scenery of a tall building.

Yesterday while clearing store found that 1 piece attached to my old Nikkor 35~135mm lens. No brand except printed except Japan.

First thing I did was tested out reducing reflection off shiny surface. Found that it unable to reduce 100% of the reflection. Hence the enquiry for those who have the opportunity to try different brands of CPL on eleminating 100% reflection from the smooth or shiny surface.

Thank You
EisMann

Sorry for reviving this old thread... i came across a rodenstock filter that is made in japan, any idea what that is about?

Meaning?
Is it fake or a different product line?

Because googling it seems to yield the German ones only

Last edited:
Apologies for pulling this thread up from so long ago >.<

Just a quick question, what would be a cost effective brand of filters to buy? Are Kenko MC UV or Raydawn filters any good? Don't need to be very good with hydrophobic coating and all, just something to do the job and protect the lens without too much flaring. Need to buy quite a few, plus a 95mm one.

Apologies for pulling this thread up from so long ago >.<

Just a quick question, what would be a cost effective brand of filters to buy? Are Kenko MC UV or Raydawn filters any good? Don't need to be very good with hydrophobic coating and all, just something to do the job and protect the lens without too much flaring. Need to buy quite a few, plus a 95mm one.

There are so many new brands out there nowadays since this was last written. Kenko remain a good quality brand. Sorry I never heard of Raydawn. If you requirements for the coatings is not high, most filters will do. 95mm filters are seldom available, although I have heard of some brands offering one.

Aye alright, thanks! Will go take a look around in local stores. Most likely will go with Hoya or Kenko.

Reactions: Ah Keong
looks like no shop in Singapore is selling.
It is a kickstarter thingy, so very new. Nowadays business not that great, so don't think shops in sg will sell it anytime soon, especially at this price point. So many competition out there.

It is a kickstarter thingy, so very new. Nowadays business not that great, so don't think shops in sg will sell it anytime soon, especially at this price point. So many competition out there.

agree. Think I shall consider the Hoya or b+w kaesemann model. Is there a XS-Pro and F-Pro difference?
Shall visit maybe TK foto soon....

agree. Think I shall consider the Hoya or b+w kaesemann model. Is there a XS-Pro and F-Pro difference?
Shall visit maybe TK foto soon....
IIRC, for B+W filters, XS-pro and F-pro difference is only in the mounting rings. XS-pro sport slimmer rings more suitable for wide angles.
Personally I have been using Kenko filters for a while now. Been using a Kenko pro1 CPL for many years (seldom use actually). I've added a Haida CPL a few years back to complement the Haida filter holder I got. Works great.

IIRC, for B+W filters, XS-pro and F-pro difference is only in the mounting rings. XS-pro sport slimmer rings more suitable for wide angles.
Personally I have been using Kenko filters for a while now. Been using a Kenko pro1 CPL for many years (seldom use actually). I've added a Haida CPL a few years back to complement the Haida filter holder I got. Works great.

thanks for the advice! shall research again and take some time off to visit the local stores!