Newbie Guide to Filters

I would like to ask a noob question, doesn't seem to be that mentioned in the 25 pages.

For the sunrise / sunset, will a ND or GND filter be preferred. Or it depends on the blue hour or contrast to the foreground ?
If I only have a choice due to budget contraint / splitting resources, would the ND filters be suffice ? Looking in getting a new brand that has quite a good review.
I'm still venturing into difference type of photography.

ND and GND does different things. Understand what you are trying to achieve first, then get the appropriate filter. If you do not understand what each does, it is time to re-read each section about ND and GND.

Hi guys, some questions to ask you experts.

Going to Sri Lanka soon and I am using a basic Nikon D3200. I love taking mountain ranges, or landscape shots from the top of the mountain, sunsets or sunrises on mountains or the beaches etc The problem I always have is that the sky always become white because of the exposure to light. In order to reduce this, to get details of the mountains and whats on the ground and still get the details of the sky, am I right to say that ND would be enough or GND would be also necessary? And for CPL, its usually useful only for getting details for away background mountains etc? What would be the biggest difference especially in the details of the picture when using the 3 filters?

For waterfalls, I think ND is the preferred choice for most situations right? Sorry for noob questions, but just bought the D3200 and after watching the videos, still do not fully understand.

Hi guys, some questions to ask you experts.

Going to Sri Lanka soon and I am using a basic Nikon D3200. I love taking mountain ranges, or landscape shots from the top of the mountain, sunsets or sunrises on mountains or the beaches etc The problem I always have is that the sky always become white because of the exposure to light. In order to reduce this, to get details of the mountains and whats on the ground and still get the details of the sky, am I right to say that ND would be enough or GND would be also necessary? And for CPL, its usually useful only for getting details for away background mountains etc? What would be the biggest difference especially in the details of the picture when using the 3 filters?

For waterfalls, I think ND is the preferred choice for most situations right? Sorry for noob questions, but just bought the D3200 and after watching the videos, still do not fully understand.

First, u need to know how to shoot in manual. For your mountain issue, u may not need filters. Just under expose your shots, or maybe do bracketing n HDR later (bring tripod).

For water fall, depending on the conditions, u may need a ND filter to slow down shutter speeds enough to get the smooth water flow. Suggest u read up more on exposure triangle before buy nd filters.

This is awesome, thank you!

Just an idea - we could also a "Newbie Guide to Lens Mounts and Adapters" - would be incredible!

Depends on the lens used and the design of the lens. Sometimes using a 5mm larger filter with a step down ring actually gives you more vignetting, if you are using a UWA lens.

Thanks daredevil123.
To answer my own question, I tried this setting with a Haida Slim Pro II 82mm ND 3.0 with a 82-77mm step down ring, on Nikon 16-35mm.
Works fine for me, no vignetting.

Thanks daredevil123.
To answer my own question, I tried this setting with a Haida Slim Pro II 82mm ND 3.0 with a 82-77mm step down ring, on Nikon 16-35mm.
Works fine for me, no vignetting.

That is good to know.

Hi all,

I have the lens foundation kit and am using the wa adapter 77mm.
I am thinking of getting an universal hood for the 17-40L. Will it cause vignetting?
Furthermore, i am also thinking if i shld get the 105mm polariser or 77mm polariser to use together with my Lee GND filters? Will it cause vignetting?

I tried googling but to no avail.

Thanks and appreciate if some can help

Regards,
Joseph

I have Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, will Cokin P-series (85mm) causing vignetting on my lens?

Hi all,

I am thinking of getting an universal hood for the 17-40L. Will it cause vignetting?
Furthermore, i am also thinking if i shld get the 105mm polariser or 77mm polariser to use together with my Lee GND filters? Will it cause vignetting?

Regards,
Joseph

If you are using a FF, just by using the WA adapter with 1 piece of the filter, No vignetting. But stacking anything before the WA adapter like CPL or ND filters WILL cause vignetting.

Hoya Slim CPL + WA Adapter and b+w ND110 + WA Adapter will give you vignetting till ~18-19mm. Nowadays, I just handhold the GND infront of the filters I'm using... So far no vignetting..

I have Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, will Cokin P-series (85mm) causing vignetting on my lens?

Are you using a 1.5 crop factor or 1.6? I read that those using 1.5x MAY get vignetting at 11mm.. But gone by 12mm.

Are you using a 1.5 crop factor or 1.6? I read that those using 1.5x MAY get vignetting at 11mm.. But gone by 12mm.

For Nikon with Tokina 11-16 version 1, using Cokin Wideangle P holder (single slot) will clear at 12mm that is correctable in PP. Slight vignette at 11mm. This is assuming you are using the filter holder dead level. If you introduce any sort of tilt in the filter holder, even 12mm will give you very strong vignetting. If you use the standard Cokin P holder (3 slots), it will vignette badly even at 12mm. For Canon APS-C systems, since it is 1.6x, you might get away at 11mm, but I am not too sure of it. You better try it out.

Hi all,

Regards,
Joseph

There is a special adapter you can buy that will allow you to use a CPL infront of the the adapter. But you will have to sacrifice one slot of the holder (leave it empty). I saw the adapter at OP. Not sure if it will vignette or not, since it is based off the standard adapter, not wide angle adapter.

Another option is to use the special filter holder by PROGREY. You can find it at TK. Check it out here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.580752278636861.1073741840.104050826307011&type=3

For Nikon with Tokina 11-16 version 1, using Cokin Wideangle P holder (single slot) will clear at 12mm that is correctable in PP. Slight vignette at 11mm. This is assuming you are using the filter holder dead level. If you introduce any sort of tilt in the filter holder, even 12mm will give you very strong vignetting. If you use the standard Cokin P holder (3 slots), it will vignette badly even at 12mm. For Canon APS-C systems, since it is 1.6x, you might get away at 11mm, but I am not too sure of it. You better try it out.

Thank you for the advice, seems like I have to go for cokin z-pro or other 100mm size.

Thank you for the advice, seems like I have to go for cokin z-pro or other 100mm size.

For 100mm holders, you can try Lee foundation kit, Hitech 100mm holder, Progrey holder, Cokin Z-pro and several other china-made holders. Most of the filters are interchangeable between holders with the exception of high density ND filters with foam gaskets.

will the filter exchangeable? I mean can I put 100mm lee filter to Hitech/Cokin/Progrey and vice versa? Do they have standard thickness?

will the filter exchangeable? I mean can I put 100mm lee filter to Hitech/Cokin/Progrey and vice versa? Do they have standard thickness?

Yes they are. There are some exceptions though. See my post above.

Finally bought progrey and couple of hitech filter. Now, I'm looking for filter pouch. I saw lowepro S&F filter pouch 100 at TK photo, in fact that the only one that they have. The material used to house the filter feel quite rough, will it scratch the filter? Anyone using same pouch feel free to post your experience.

Last edited:
Finally bought progrey and couple of hitech filter. Now, I'm looking for filter pouch. I saw lowepro S&F filter pouch 100 at TK photo, in fact that the only one that they have. The material used to house the filter feel quite rough, will it scratch the filter? Anyone using same pouch feel free to post your experience.

I am using the filter pouch. I have not experienced any scratches. Have been using it for almost 7mths. I put my foundation kit and adapter ring inside.together with my filters everytime i go overseas.

im using that too. solid pouch been using it for close to 2 years now. it wont scratch the filter, same material as those old sch cd pouch if im nt wrong.

There is a special adapter you can buy that will allow you to use a CPL infront of the the adapter. But you will have to sacrifice one slot of the holder (leave it empty). I saw the adapter at OP. Not sure if it will vignette or not, since it is based off the standard adapter, not wide angle adapter.

Another option is to use the special filter holder by PROGREY. You can find it at TK. Check it out here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.580752278636861.1073741840.104050826307011&type=3

Hi guys, just an update, the progrey g100x doesnt vignette at 17mm ff. So if anyone wanna use a cpl with 100*100 square filters, u can consider progrey holder. Nice device which tk brought in.
I am surprised that even tk doesnt know that lee 105mm adapter with cpl.cause heavy vignetting for focal length less than 21mm.