newbie getting a K-R !

This is what i told another guy similarly today, he is going to jump from Nikon to Pentax.:D

Hehe, this was the major reason that I chose Pentax before :) But after so many years w/ Pentax, I've become attached to it, just like the way Pentax looks/feels/works.

Hehe, this was the major reason that I chose Pentax before :) But after so many years w/ Pentax, I've become attached to it, just like the way Pentax looks/feels/works.

years ? lol ... I jus need 10 month and I'm already attached to it :p

D3100 lacks a dedicated iso button, and doesn't show the iso in the viewfinder. It also lacks a dedicated AF point select button. I guess these functions won't really matter to the beginner or a very casual shooter, less than the omission of the visible AF points in the K-x? But both are features I use frequently when I shoot, I will be pretty frustrated with a camera that is lacking them.

I have always found the Pentax button layout to be very easy to learn and accessible. Flash/iso/drive modes/af point selection are all a single button press away.

i am new to photography, and bought the k-x recently...

if i had to buy another dslr, and if my wife allows me, i'll blindly buy the k-r.. the reason is very simple - i got used to it very very quickly, the design allows me to fiddle with various settings easily, so i can try and experiment with various settings in the hope of getting a good picture...

plus there is the kool factor of not being part of the canikon herd :p

Recently just bought a K-r and here's why, along with some cons too, as no camera is perfect. Note I was comparing with the 550D, d5000.

Pros of K-r :
a) better low light, high ISO performance. The main reason I'm upgrading from a prosumer camera is that most of my indoor and night shots are either not sharp, or too washed out from the flash. Probably my skill too lously, but from my test shots of the K-r, I like the quality of the indoor shots.

b) The compactness and feel of the camera compared to the rest

c) The price. The K-x is of course much cheaper, but then the K-r is quite reasonable too.

d) Possibly to use AA batteries.

e) Frames per second

Cons :

a) No default first party travel zoom lens yet. Although the 18-135 is coming out, it is going to be expensive. The quality seems to be better, but not reviewed yet. The other brands have default 18-135 available, some as kit lens.

b) no swivel LCD.

After weighing all the factors, I decided to get the K-r.

It is going for $600+, about the price as the 18-135, right ? It's also a rebadged tamron right ?

The con of the K-r to be is that travel zoom lens is quite expensive or not commonly available yet, whereas it's available for the canon/nikon gang sometimes as a kit. I could get a canon 18-135mm kit, with a cheap 50mm F1.8 for my travelling quite easily.

However, I chose the K-r because of the factors I mentioned.

Of course, I could also get the $300+ tamron 18-200.

update on the results?? I totally noob...first dslr. Just got a thousand dollars worth of capitaland vouchers...so decided to get a dslr.

Right now i am keen on pentax kr but my gf keep on niam me to go for D3100.

My selection critera are as follow -

1) Price
2) Feel and touch
3) PQ
4) How many photos i can take within a burst

1) About the same (but consider the Shake reduction is already built in for the Kr it already worth more)

2) Very personal

3) PQ
Again just comparing the older Kx against the D3100 at ISO3200
Kx - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/KX/FULLRES/KXINBI03200.HTM
D3100 - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D3100/FULLRES/D3100INBI03200.HTM
The D3100 win on megapixels on camera, but image quality wise, the Kx is much better.

4) 6fps on the Kr and 3fps on the D3100

Get Option 3. $278 diff for the 55-300mm is a steal... and it is a great lens.

:cry: no wonder K10D and K-x now no value

Right now i am keen on pentax kr but my gf keep on niam me to go for D3100.
1) About the same (but consider the Shake reduction is already built in for the Kr it already worth more)

2) Very personal

3) PQ
Again just comparing the older Kx against the D3100 at ISO3200
Kx - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/KX/FULLRES/KXINBI03200.HTM
D3100 - http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D3100/FULLRES/D3100INBI03200.HTM
The D3100 win on megapixels on camera, but image quality wise, the Kx is much better.

4) 6fps on the Kr and 3fps on the D3100

I am afraid he better ignore all these and simply follow his gf's will. otherwise, a lot of more severe issues will start developing..... ;)

I am afraid he better ignore all these and simply follow his gf's will. otherwise, a lot of more severe issues will start developing..... ;)

Is he a man or a mouse?
Why must follow gf"s will?
Why cannot make up his own decision? :think:

Is he a man or a mouse?
Why must follow gf"s will?
Why cannot make up his own decision? :think:

;) depends who's paying... maybe GF want to buy for him? maybe is joint a/c and its partly her money? maybe if he dun listen to the GF will have "adverse consequences"? :bsmilie:

;) depends who's paying... maybe GF want to buy for him? maybe is joint a/c and its partly her money? maybe if he dun listen to the GF will have "adverse consequences"? :bsmilie:

I agreed that its better to avoid having any "adverse consequences" with GF. :bsmilie:

i'm a nikon user and recently bought the kr. my opinion is that nikon has a certain finesse in their design. for example the autofocus indicators stay on in the VF for as long as the shutter is half depressed and the indicator is not obtrusive. the build quality seems to be more refined as well. BUT you do pay more for these "luxuries" :sweat:.

however, i think pentax wins hands down for value - can't beat the autofocus screw drive and sensor stabiliser built into the body. also the iso sensitivity and range is awesome for the price. one more thing, af is really nippy.

just the other day i took my kr to my friend's wedding and got sneered at by the two "pro" photogs who were using nikon systems :bsmilie:

oh well they don't know a good thing when they see one.

Hi folks

planning to join the pentax family by getting a kr. my gf first initial response to pentax - "what is pentax..pls go get a canon or nikon"....what more can i say?

A couple of questions -

1) as a newbie to dslr, which package should i get - there are 3 options available in emjay and slr revolution -
a) Pentax kr 18-55 kit (Pink, White, Black) = $910
b) Pentax kr 18-55, 50-200 Dual kit (Black) = $1060
c) Pentax kr 18-55, 55-300 Dual kit (Black) = $1188

Hi all, i'm new to photography n hope to buy the Pentax Kr package as my 1st dslr but the price found on emjay website only show prices for the Kx as for Kr is on pre-order $150. Is the price mention above for Kr? Beside emjay n SLR rev, any other retailer selling the Kr? Thanks in advance and hope to learn more from CS.

Hi folks

planning to join the pentax family by getting a kr. my gf first initial response to pentax - "what is pentax..pls go get a canon or nikon"....what more can i say?

A couple of questions -

1) as a newbie to dslr, which package should i get - there are 3 options available in emjay and slr revolution -
a) Pentax kr 18-55 kit (Pink, White, Black) = $910
b) Pentax kr 18-55, 50-200 Dual kit (Black) = $1060
c) Pentax kr 18-55, 55-300 Dual kit (Black) = $1188

Hi all, i'm new to photography n hope to buy the Pentax Kr package as my 1st dslr but the price found on emjay website only show prices for the Kx as for Kr is on pre-order $150. Is the price mention above for Kr? Beside emjay n SLR rev, any other retailer selling the Kr? Thanks in advance and hope to learn more from CS.

Check the pricelist thread for the other shops.

Manly @ Temple St
MS Color
Cathay Photo
Alan Photo
T K Foto
SLR Rev

Emjay is distributor and all the above are resellers. Which one do you think has a better price?

GUYS PLEASE HELP!

just went to check ard in Funan...

D3100 is selling at 835 at challenger with 1 8G card. Same for SLR Rev....john was selling at 850

Wanted to take a look at KR but unfortunately SLR Rev said its not available for me to take a look. God damn it, that salesman has a freaking attitude...as if i owe him money. quoted me 960 for normal kit and 1090 for 50-200mm kit. Told me the 3rd option is not available. My blood was boiling with his freaking attitude.

In the end i have to cross over to Emjay to take a look at the camera....honestly it looks great! Better than D3100.

Haha..unfortunately....i have 1000 dollars worth of Capitaland vocuhers given by company...so LL must buy in Funan!!

So guys....please advise...where to buy KR in funan now....paiseh...must be in Funan else cannot use the vouchers!

Last edited:

haha...my GF super not interested when i bring her to Emjay in the evening....cant blame her, the office is really really super run down!!!

But i do think the KR is better than D3100...

I am paying for the camera so she dun really have a say.... :p

haha...my GF super not interested when i bring her to Emjay in the evening....cant blame her, the office is really really super run down!!!

But i do think the KR is better than D3100...

I am paying for the camera so she dun really have a say.... :p

you're buying the camera, not working in the office.

but you can feedback to emjay that they need better working conditions for their staff, if you feel strongly about that point. :bsmilie:

anyways, girls are so funny.... :sweatsm: thankfully my one not like that, talk to her about up/downgrading to k-r, her reply is BBBBBBBB :bsmilie: