Need some advise on DSLR body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I had a good laugh when some personal vendattas got out of hand and became flame wars. The thread starter was just asking a simple question of what system to get. When another newbie joined in the thread asking somewhat similar questions, the entire thread just went off tangent! Thanks to the vets on this forum for keeping things in check :thumbsup:

Relax folks :D

Hewland

F5user said:
I personally carry 4 bodies with me when on assignment, and well. lenses wise, both nikon and canon are seriously on Par i feel... with Canon having the slight edge in quality/contrast, but Nikon THRASING canon with their durability and ability to deliver under constant abuse from work. Trust me. Get a canon tele zoom, and subject it through the East timor villages for 3 wks with a 1vhs.. lense = FOG, and my 1v's REWIND MECHANISM BROKE!!!!!!!!! sigh.... ended up using a FM2 and the good ol 50 1.4 non af, and 80-2002.8. however this was back in 97 where a 2.1 mp was WOW...

:rolleyes:

i believe the 1V was not introduce until 2000. You may get your facts wrong.

Belle&Sebastain said:
i believe the 1V was not introduce until 2000. You may get your facts wrong.

For those ardent canon fans out there.. i'm sorry... by right, the 1v was introduced in 1999, released in 2000. yes...

I get my cameras 2 yrs in advance due to the nature of my work. ie: F5 in 1995, 1v in 1996-7, etc etc...

It's part of the "testing" process by the major camera companies, who let their cameras undergo field testing prior to releasing them for the commercial market. :blah:

And i do believe that press companies still do get their cameras well in advance of any official product release.

ie: SPH had their d1hs 1 yr even before cathay had their first shipment.

buy used top end (D1, D1H, 1D). cheap and good. no worries for ever :thumbsup:

espn said:
No worries dude, the basic rule to get good images is to keep shooting, you'll be very angry and pissed with your first few images definitely, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be happier, right now if you still want to talk and know more about Nikon DSLRs can feel free to PM or post in the Nikon sub-forum, regarding Canon DSLRs I only know a little bit about them so if what I can share I will.

Regarding taking good images, hang around and shoot more!!! :)

Yeah I'm still pissed with the lighting for the toy thingy I posted here, can't get it the way I wanted :bsmilie:

And well, 3 years of shooting i'm still pretty much pissed with majority of my shots, if I did A right, i've got B,C and D wrong, If D's right, A, B and C will be wrong... well you get the idea

Well, but it's getting better, so as espn said hang around and shoot more.

And oh, I don't use Canon or Nikon, but I love my camera. Solely personal preference tho. All cameras are competant tools in the right hands. :D

AReality said:
$4k budget is not enough for 20D.
also set aside $500 for your camera accessories, unless you want to buy the cam for display purposes only.

Tested the 20D at sitex...the shutter noise is terribly loud ..wonder why did canon do that ...?

F5user said:
For those ardent canon fans out there.. i'm sorry... by right, the 1v was introduced in 1999, released in 2000. yes...

I get my cameras 2 yrs in advance due to the nature of my work. ie: F5 in 1995, 1v in 1996-7, etc etc...

It's part of the "testing" process by the major camera companies, who let their cameras undergo field testing prior to releasing them for the commercial market. :blah:

And i do believe that press companies still do get their cameras well in advance of any official product release.

ie: SPH had their d1hs 1 yr even before cathay had their first shipment.

So the press agencies are constantly beta testing for us consumers :bsmilie: :bsmilie: , find that really ironic. Anyhow, considering how trouble-laden a lot of these cams have been on release, they aren't doing a very good job at it! You deserve a thanks for being our guinea pig!

dkw said:
So the press agencies are constantly beta testing for us consumers :bsmilie: :bsmilie: , find that really ironic. Anyhow, considering how trouble-laden a lot of these cams have been on release, they aren't doing a very good job at it! You deserve a thanks for being our guinea pig!

i honestly wouldn't really mind being a guinea pig when we get an endless supply of bodies and lenses of any brand at a moment's notice. ;p

Though we do "test" the new equipment prior to them being released in the market, i can simply say that the products they give us, (associated reuters, press, etc) are basically the best of the best and as such, we've placed in them our complete trust as after all, our rice bowl depends on it. :cool:

Sorry, just wanted to add that yes... though there've been "trouble" with some of the equipment upon release to the public, these were mainly restricted to the firmware released to the consumers.

most of the time, those covering with dslrs usually had their firmwares flashed with a version specifically tailored to the needs of the department. And these versions rarely give any trouble at all.

I'm not too sure if nikon / canon cover that within their contracts with sph here, but i do know that the company i'm working for has specific versions of firmware for its 1ds and 2hs tailored to the needs of the venue of coverage.

Sadly these troubling issues consumers face only surfaced with the implimentation of digi coverage. :sweatsm:

erm.... so, did anyone tested the D2X couple of yrs ago? ;p

It was out in year 2000 I believe, several of my friends and me were already playing with D2X then, online and on battle .NET, depends on your preferance :bsmilie:

F5user said:
Sorry, just wanted to add that yes... though there've been "trouble" with some of the equipment upon release to the public, these were mainly restricted to the firmware released to the consumers.

most of the time, those covering with dslrs usually had their firmwares flashed with a version specifically tailored to the needs of the department. And these versions rarely give any trouble at all.

I'm not too sure if nikon / canon cover that within their contracts with sph here, but i do know that the company i'm working for has specific versions of firmware for its 1ds and 2hs tailored to the needs of the venue of coverage.

Sadly these troubling issues consumers face only surfaced with the implimentation of digi coverage. :sweatsm:

So the manufacturers actually have a perfectly working firmware right off the bat, give the perfect, bug-free versions to you guys to test for free, and then subsequently flash inferior, untested buggy versions to the paying consumer? What a way to do business! Interesting to hear about customised firmware for different shooting conditions and venues of coverage, care to share some examples of what these may be?

Ok... some good examples are:

back when the d2h was used within the company, the cache was flashed with a ver which only allowed the camera to shoot at 1024x768. The firmware also immediately duplicated the picture so that the card or the remote storage would have 2 images in diff formats, raw and nef (if i remember correctly)so as to cater for the publishing department to plough through the images once uploaded.

If the assignment was a press conference, firmwares were mainly written to "lock" the whitebalance in for that particular event, with the nikon/canon technicians presetting the balance to their utmost best at the workshop prior to deployment.

I guess, this was particularly done to prevent the human interface from fumbling with the gadget, thus hindering workflow, and to "lock in" the settings for the photojournalist so as to allow him to shoot and capture for his rice bowl as accurately as possible.

For the average user outside, you're paying a full and hefty amount for the device and thus, of course the company will try their best to give u what u want, but as with all digital tech... it's never perfect.

Thanks for all your advise. I guess all the DSLR is not that perfect. Well look like that to me at the moment. :)

Thanks again to all of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.