Need some advise on DSLR body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks guys for your information. That really help. Thanks again. :)

PLRBEAR said:
However, on the practical side of things, none of these attributes will cater to his needs any more than a D70 or 300D. The noise level on a D70 or 300D is not much of an issue, until you start nitpicking.

I'd put the 300D below the D70, and place the 20D and 7D in another category. After the price drop of the D70, the 20D is definetly not in the same market share. What's the difference in price now? $1k? Spend the money on some good optics for the D70 instead to complement the 18-70 kit lens, which is already very good.[/QUOT

If I were you, I would rather buy 300D (which is much cheaper than D70, but can produce better quality pictures than D70), and invest in lenses.

The noise level in D70 is indeed an issue. 300D noise is almost non-existence. I'm not starting a war here, everyone is free to voice their opinion.

epia said:
Oh that's very informative, tnks glen! Btw can recommend some sites where I can read and learn more about dSLR and lenses & filters(especially)? Hope to learn more about this art :) :lovegrin:

Oh ya, if I invest in Nikon D70 Lenses, what other camera can use these lenses as well?

If you want to invest long term, I would suggest you go with Canon system. It's dominating the DSLR world. It got more options for lenses than Nikon, and cheaper too. Most professional now switching from Nikon to Canon gear.

For film SLR, Nikon is the way to go, but for DSLR, Canon is.

Ah i see.. Is it possible if you guys help me customize a set below 4k for Canon EOS 300D and Nikon D70 ? Also, which lens should I forfeit/go-for-lousier-lens if my budget is 3k? (Sorry I'm really tight on budget.. thats all I can afford)

I'm extremely into scenery pictures, followed by macro, then Abstract and Still Life. (Example of pictures I like to take are here

scott said:
PLRBEAR said:
However, on the practical side of things, none of these attributes will cater to his needs any more than a D70 or 300D. The noise level on a D70 or 300D is not much of an issue, until you start nitpicking.

I'd put the 300D below the D70, and place the 20D and 7D in another category. After the price drop of the D70, the 20D is definetly not in the same market share. What's the difference in price now? $1k? Spend the money on some good optics for the D70 instead to complement the 18-70 kit lens, which is already very good.[/QUOT

If I were you, I would rather buy 300D (which is much cheaper than D70, but can produce better quality pictures than D70), and invest in lenses.

The noise level in D70 is indeed an issue. 300D noise is almost non-existence. I'm not starting a war here, everyone is free to voice their opinion.
Cheaper? 300D cheaper? By how much for a 7 months older camera which needs unofficial hacks to match the D70 in features? (hint, <S$200) Lower noise? Like what PLRBear said, unless you nitpick. Don't forget that the kit lens for the D70 is much better than that with the 300D (by definition, a L lens ;) ); the difference paid for the lens already.

Do look at DPReview comparing these two cameras here. Notice that D70 has no red (ie lost out) features, unlike 300D. Three page later, the reviewer goes on to say "Again its very close, both cameras performing fairly similarly, if anything I would say that the D70's images are more preferable because its noise is more even throughout the color channels and appears as monochromatic 'grain' rather than the color blotches seen in the EOS 300D image (which is also more difficult to remove later). Kudos to Nikon then."

More cheaper lenses? Wider (pun intented) range of lens? Please. This has been disproven many times. Wider? No digital fisheye at all, the EF-S 10-22 which can only be used on 2 bodies (300D & 20D) is not seen by anyone here much less shown its capabilities (unlike the 12-24 DX).

:rolleyes:

Go away, troll. Each system has its own strength and weakness, but don't sprout your zealotry here with misinformation. Even a moderator (who uses Canon) concurred

) Nikon D70 with Kit Lens 18-70mm
b) Nikon SB-800 / 600
c) Sandisk / Lexar 512 - 1gb CF
d) Sigma 70-200mm F2.8
e) Nikon 50mm F1.8

u will never go wrong with these.... it will be in withint ur 3k budget...

scot,

even if its true that most Nikon professionals are switching over to canon, but isnt it stupid of them to sell all their equipments and then again, re-purchase Canon and start all over again ? well.. it does make some sense as i know a few pple who does that... however in terms of durability, long term investments, and compatability with third party lenses, Nikon will get the bigger share of the pie. and remember it was Nikon who started making cameras not canon. In terms of optical quality, Nikon still perfoms better Canon in terms of normal AF Lens... we still get wonderful images even if u own a normal AF lens... and if u need more speed from the lens, thats where AFS comes in, if not the AF lens is the best u can get... similar to the AFS lens, Canon as its L lens.. but remember.. can u afford it since u are taking for fun ?

then.. bear in mind... to buy any equipments.. the advice i give is, Do u realli need it ? or Do u want it ? if u need it, u buy it. If u want it, it means u desire or wish to buy it, which means the probablity of underuseage will be ver high. therefore. consider before buying alirte ?

nt saying that Canon isint good, but paying abit more for a Magnesium alloy body and has the new technology sure will make some pple to buy them. but on the more economical scale, why bother to get a Mg. Alloy body since u are not going to war ? hahaha... so basically in terms of technology between the D70 and 300D, u should know who will reign... D70 has a edge over its competitor and of course it has more things for u to play around it. Nikon is the way to go, and of course besides the brand.. do look out for its compatibility with lenses....

if i haven own any systems yet... i will still go for Nikon..

why ?

because i feel that my investments with Nikon is as safe as heaven.. trust me.. ;)

Watcher said:
Cheaper? 300D cheaper? By how much for a 7 months older camera which needs unofficial hacks to match the D70 in features? (hint, <S$200) Lower noise? Like what PLRBear said, unless you nitpick. Don't forget that the kit lens for the D70 is much better than that with the 300D (by definition, a L lens ;) ); the difference paid for the lens already.

Do look at DPReview comparing these two cameras here. Notice that D70 has no red (ie lost out) features, unlike 300D. Three page later, the reviewer goes on to say "Again its very close, both cameras performing fairly similarly, if anything I would say that the D70's images are more preferable because its noise is more even throughout the color channels and appears as monochromatic 'grain' rather than the color blotches seen in the EOS 300D image (which is also more difficult to remove later). Kudos to Nikon then."

More cheaper lenses? Wider (pun intented) range of lens? Please. This has been disproven many times. Wider? No digital fisheye at all, the EF-S 10-22 which can only be used on 2 bodies (300D & 20D) is not seen by anyone here much less shown its capabilities (unlike the 12-24 DX).

Go away, troll. Each system has its own strength and weakness, but don't sprout your zealotry here with misinformation. Even a moderator (who uses Canon) concurred

You go away toll!!
you only know how to promote your D70 and always think that 300D is worse? who's the troll ? you are!

Watcher said:

I will be watching you switching to Canon dude!
hehehe...
With the dead of film, also comes the death of Nikon... :blah:

glennyong said:
) Nikon D70 with Kit Lens 18-70mm
b) Nikon SB-800 / 600
c) Sandisk / Lexar 512 - 1gb CF
d) Sigma 70-200mm F2.8
e) Nikon 50mm F1.8

u will never go wrong with these.... it will be in withint ur 3k budget...

scot,

even if its true that most Nikon professionals are switching over to canon, but isnt it stupid of them to sell all their equipments and then again, re-purchase Canon and start all over again ? well.. it does make some sense as i know a few pple who does that... however in terms of durability, long term investments, and compatability with third party lenses, Nikon will get the bigger share of the pie. and remember it was Nikon who started making cameras not canon. In terms of optical quality, Nikon still perfoms better Canon in terms of normal AF Lens... we still get wonderful images even if u own a normal AF lens... and if u need more speed from the lens, thats where AFS comes in, if not the AF lens is the best u can get... similar to the AFS lens, Canon as its L lens.. but remember.. can u afford it since u are taking for fun ?

then.. bear in mind... to buy any equipments.. the advice i give is, Do u realli need it ? or Do u want it ? if u need it, u buy it. If u want it, it means u desire or wish to buy it, which means the probablity of underuseage will be ver high. therefore. consider before buying alirte ?

nt saying that Canon isint good, but paying abit more for a Magnesium alloy body and has the new technology sure will make some pple to buy them. but on the more economical scale, why bother to get a Mg. Alloy body since u are not going to war ? hahaha... so basically in terms of technology between the D70 and 300D, u should know who will reign... D70 has a edge over its competitor and of course it has more things for u to play around it. Nikon is the way to go, and of course besides the brand.. do look out for its compatibility with lenses....

if i haven own any systems yet... i will still go for Nikon..

why ?

because i feel that my investments with Nikon is as safe as heaven.. trust me.. ;)

Why bother to get D70? 300D serves me reallly well, never disappointed with the result. If you haven't owned any systems yet, how do you know Nikon is better? :blah:
In terms of compatibility, Canon wins hand down, the EF lens line up is compatible with all Canon bodies. This is not true for Nikon, can't remember the detail, but there were some lenses generation that are not compatible.

In terms of 3rd party lenses, I think you need to do research :)

Hmmm please do not start a war over this.. it's only a personal recommendation ya? Different people prefer different stuffs, nothing wrong with it :)

Btw glen, since I already have 512gb of space (not taking that much in one day), can I get a better/extra lens with the money?

And.. do I need to purchase a macro lens as well?

EDIT: Sorry.. may I know the advantages of having external flash (when there's already an in-built one)? *i'm noob* :embrass:

glennyong said:
)
even if its true that most Nikon professionals are switching over to canon,

I'm glad that we agree on at least this point :)
The trend is Nikon --> Canon, and never the other way around!
Why?
Because the professionals see what we amateur doesn't see, Canon is the way to go.. and they found that it's a more reliable, better performance, better pictures.

Why buy Nikon now and switch later? it'll be a waste of money.. think about $$$ that you invest on lenses, flash, etc.

You'll be better starting with a more reliable system, more established company, i.e. Canon DSLR.

Scott I think you have gone overboard. Every camera have its strength. In which way is Canon lens system better than Nikon ??. Care to show some backing and what your experience is ??.

Dennis, I don't think there is a need to ask Scott to respond. To do so will only further deviate from the orginal intention of this thread as well as to encourage his trolling.

Yeh maybe you are right I should not encourage a troll to respond.
Advise originator to weight the pros and cons and have a hands on of each system himself is a better idea.

leadwe said:
Dennis, I don't think there is a need to ask Scott to respond. To do so will only further deviate from the orginal intention of this thread as well as to encourage his trolling.

scott said:
You'll be better starting with a more reliable system, more established company, i.e. Canon DSLR.

Scott,
I hate to see you get shot in your own foot by your own mouth.
Please refer to these posts:

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

and HERE

It will not look good for you shooting your mouth off if you post more posts here praising canon again.

I hope you're sincere enough to apologise here to the people after making so much hoo-ha.

Dennis said:
Scott I think you have gone overboard. Every camera have its strength. In which way is Canon lens system better than Nikon ??. Care to show some backing and what your experience is ??.

care to show me if Nikon lens system is better than Canon? :D

AReality said:
Scott,

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

and HERE

It will not look good for you shooting your mouth off if you post more posts here praising canon again.

I hope you're sincere enough to apologise here to the people after making so much hoo-ha.

Why the hell should I apologize?
It's a free world dude, that is my opinion, I'm free to voice it. I'm not offending anyone.
Perhaps D70 owners feel insecure because of my opinions? well be it..

you/others can praise Nikon, why can't I praise Canon? stupid....

For a moment I was tempted to reply. Than I realised we were debating with somebody who does not understand the technical aspects of photography. No point going on. All is forgiven. Thanks AReality and Zerstorer.

AReality said:
Scott,

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

and HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.