My Grandfather Road

if the police doesn't do anything about it, people will say they aren't doing their jobs.

if they arrest the culprit(s), the government is at fault for the lack of freedom of speech. and since when is vandalism considered freedom of speech??

dafuq?

damned if you do, damned if you don't.

so many blind followers she has

Not just blind followers but also a huge bunch who will complain for the sake of it.

Not just blind followers but also a huge bunch who will complain for the sake of it.

tumblr_lp2vx4wujg1qaod8z.jpg

"Singaporeans"

jokes aside,

i saw many comparisons to Loan Shark runners who paint O$P$.

there is a difference. Police will not waste resources to catch just one person. Police will monitor the situation over time, letting them do their deeds, and investigate.. their purpose is to catch the entire gang, not just 1 irrelevant person.

compared to this case, whereby this person vandalized public property. like the mods mentioned, would you like someone defacing your public property?

why do we follow western culture blindly?

Newspaper running "name and shame" liow... Samantha Lo...

The best sentence is to send her cleaning up street mess for a period, let her taste her own medicine, and also help to reduce the manpower crunch in that sector :)

greenieadi said:
Law should be upheld. Can listen to opinion here and there, no doubt. Break the law, be held responsible. Don't argue this and that. One to exhibit/express/practise art, go through proper channels and procedure.

This is Singapore, not some Western country. I see a lot of friends who became opinionated after studying, working abroad.Some even have different accent. Gobbling up ideals of the west like nothing.

Hey, we are still brown, black and yellow skinned. The western civilized world still brand us as inferior and asian though we know how diverse "asian" is.

I think the arguement of artistic expression/freedom boils down to this mentality. East vs West beliefs.

We don't get this kind of coffee shop talk 20 years ago, could be seen as uber petty those days. Could still be, just revisit this 5 years later. :think:

I agree law should be upheld, but is against a harsh sentence for this particular case. By the way, she sure will escape the cane cos she wear skirt.

I strongly agree to your points listed above about westernised thing. Sorry to say other than size, what is it about western world that make them feel that they are superior? When I meet Ang Mo business associates, I do not give them extra face because they are westerners. The world is in a mess because of them and they have no rights to yaya papaya. And I also make sure they dun have the chance to do that to me via my way.

Lastly, I depise people who forego their asian culture and try to "act" like Ang mo. I do not use nice words when speaking to such people. Maybe they are planning economic crisis in Asia.....They are a total disgrace to us true Asians.

Ok got to stop, going OT liao...

I have no issue if the Courts decided that she should get a light sentence... my only issue is with people who 'think' she need no be sentence at all... :think:

I'm totally fine if there is no jail time or fine... just community service (street cleaning)... as long as the Law has been uphold and the guilty, punished. The very idea that someone could break the law... and should not be punished because their 'works' have 'Entertainment Values' or are 'Artistic' in nature... is just plain wrong.

Anyone ever saw those MTV Jackass Movies ?? Anyone here thinks its ok to be like them... go to a store that sells toilet bowls and really 'sh*t' in one... running away laughing and leaving some poor staff to clean up ?? Or dancing around in their underwear and then pushing each other into the stores display in Tokyo ?? Isn't all those stunts... 'funny'. In all these instance... no one was hurt or even harm (except the actors)... but is it 'OK' if you are the one that has to clean up the mess after they are done ?? :nono:

pretty sure she'll get job offers out of this fiasco

Nowadays with automated facial recognition system complemented with a nationwide grid of HDcctv cameras in operations with the MHA. It is possible for the culprit to be flagged and identified within hours of a crime being reported?

The latest top secret KH-11 Block IV reconnaissance satellites operated by the United States National Reconnaissance Office (NRO) and just recently introduced into operational service are even said to have a sharp enough imaging resolution capable of identifying an individual person on the streets from Low Earth Orbit (LEO)!

Last edited:
kei1309 said:
if the police doesn't do anything about it, people will say they aren't doing their jobs.

if they arrest the culprit(s), the government is at fault for the lack of freedom of speech. and since when is vandalism considered freedom of speech??

dafuq?

damned if you do, damned if you don't.

so many blind followers she has

Sadly bottom line she break the law.... Whatever way you look at it.... And she can't say she didn't knew that what she doing is illegal or against the law. Like that say ignorance of the law excuses no one :-(

We can say its a boring country but what can we do until they change it, it is still a law like those spitting on the floor or pavement some even try to dig deeper before letting out the yellowish jelly type phlegm .... Disgusting!

when you think about it, why is it everyone gets away with it in the USA? or other western nations?

simply because the government doesn't care. when you look at the old city blocks, they're covered in graffiti or moss is growing all over. hence street artists are able to carry out what they do.

here in Singapore, the government cares enough (for good and bad reasons) to actually try to put a stop to this. even if she didn't put "My Grandfather's Road" but "Artist was here", she'd still get arrested for vandalism. people have to understand that it's not a politically motivated arrest, but because she simply broke the law

catchlights said:
As much as I find the stickers, painting are quite funny and cute, after some thinking, I decided not to sign the petition, the reason is simple.

anyone with a right mind knows she broke the law, and she has to face the penalty,
she is grown adult, not a child, she chose to challenge the laws, what else can you say?

like Mod diver-hloc suggests, remove/clean it off after take photos, maybe somebody will close one eye and noting happen.

or she can approach National Arts Council to propose a series of street art installation project. probably she will get approval and funding, than everybody happy. Why not?

I saw some legal or approve vandalism at the skate area near somerset mrt..... Maybe some place in SG they allow some creative people to express their artistic side or like you said maybe she could ask for permit or request...

pretty sure she'll get job offers out of this fiasco

probably that it is what she wants...maybe its not her who is stupid enough to kenna caught by police, but the police who are stupid enough to catch her,
and we who are stupid enough to make her famous hahahaha

kei1309 said:
when you think about it, why is it everyone gets away with it in the USA? or other western nations?

simply because the government doesn't care. when you look at the old city blocks, they're covered in graffiti or moss is growing all over. hence street artists are able to carry out what they do.

here in Singapore, the government cares enough (for good and bad reasons) to actually try to put a stop to this. even if she didn't put "My Grandfather's Road" but "Artist was here", she'd still get arrested for vandalism. people have to understand that it's not a politically motivated arrest, but because she simply broke the law

Not all but they simply not caught you know those artist never really do their artistic work in day light. Also police has much bigger fish to catch then these small petty crimes.

albertri said:
.... Also police has much bigger fish to catch then these small petty crimes.

Agree. That's why they have Robocop, and all those superheroes with super powers and stuff.

Seriously though, she committed a crime. No doubt about that. But I hope they go light on her. Possible jail term of up to 3 years? That's too much.

digitalpimp said:
Seriously though, she committed a crime. No doubt about that. But I hope they go light on her. Possible jail term of up to 3 years? That's too much.

1st time offenders normally she may only be ask for fine and she lady some more. And so far she had not damage any property worst case she may be asked to remove those arts she did.

Remember the American boy who vandalized some cars here many year back during Clinton time he got caned and few weeks or moths jail only. What he did was worst coz he damage some cars