Massive Leeching discovered on Sammyboy, once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I informed brother Phoa about it....guess it got out to the correct persons....

while Pablo's idea is good....there might be a simple obstacle of costs.......but its a good idea

no easiest solution is control who the **** can access and view ur work. DP doesn't post here and has been leeched repeatedly by sammy boy.

LOL DP doesnt post here but his signature got link wad!!

I informed brother Phoa about it....guess it got out to the correct persons....

while Pablo's idea is good....there might be a simple obstacle of costs.......but its a good idea

Thanks for reminding me on this issue. As some of my pictures are also in the SB site, which so call "taken" by another guy in that area.

We had to admit the fact the history had repeated again and will continue. SB site is not run by a local but from a oversea identity which we cannot able to touch on.

Let this be a learning lesson to everyone. If you post your pictures, there will be likely chance of leeching. Best is not to post, but how to show the world your talent? :think:

Putting watermark is not a way of solving the problem. It can be removed if the leechers are super photoshop expert. :sweat:

My practice, is show what it is necessary (to public), keep the best for customer (in private), which I like about flickr.....can display photos privately and keep track of the personals I sent.

There is another way of stopping the leeching process which is shooting raw.
Because raw file datas consist of information which jpeg is missing. I always copyright my pictures using DDP functions onto the pictures with full name and Identification. It also contain serial numbers of the camera used to take the photo. If similar photos in jpeg are found in other people's galley. Just do a cross match between the raw and jpeg, the truth will be out. This can be part of the evidence to court case I think.

no easiest solution is control who the **** can access and view ur work. DP doesn't post here and has been leeched repeatedly by sammy boy.

what about people who have an incentive to showcase portfolio?

i was going to suggest how flickr does it - cannot save photo, cannot find link also.

but then again, print screen will bypass all of that.

Because raw file datas consist of information which jpeg is missing. I always copyright my pictures using DDP functions onto the pictures with full name and Identification. It also contain serial numbers of the camera used to take the photo. If similar photos in jpeg are found in other people's galley. Just do a cross match between the raw and jpeg, the truth will be out. This can be part of the evidence to court case I think.

actually, if you make sure your pixel size online is small small, i don't think they can use genuinefractals to blow it up back into 12 megapixels.. :)

that should be more than enough.. :D

actually, if you make sure your pixel size online is small small, i don't think they can use genuinefractals to blow it up back into 12 megapixels.. :)

that should be more than enough.. :D

Of course lah, I always downsize the picture to 800 pixels on the longest side. :bsmilie:
Easier to upload onto the web.

You back from UK? :think:

The only fool proof method is to not show any of your images on line. That is a draconian approach, but it is the only way to prevent your images from being leeched.

That said, I do host some of my images on line, and dealing with people like john_hougang is just something we have to deal with.

However, though nothing much can be done, if we come across any such incidents, blatant or now, we need to act on it. I thank the person who alerted me of the john_hougang character on SB.

In addition to working with the websites and hosting services to remove the leeched images, we should try our best, if possible, to identify the person who had committed this act. Once identified, this person should be outed and branded.

We did that to some, remember the guy who leeched the pictures of aircrafts/airlines? Just to name one out of many.

Else, there is nothing much we can do, but we have to do what we can.

That is also not foolproof as the jpeg information can be modify easily.

Of course lah, I always downsize the picture to 800 pixels on the longest side. :bsmilie:
Easier to upload onto the web.

You back from UK? :think:

not yet.. :)

well, if you got 2000 pixel picture, they have 800 pixel picture, how to argue hehehehe.

That said, I do host some of my images on line, and dealing with people like john_hougang is just something we have to deal with.

i think what's infuriating is the context in which it is used.

for example, your pictures are definitely not meant to be used for humsup purposes.. but they are placed there and used for meditative material. i think while leeching it to share perceived appreciation with others is also bad if no permission is asked, but at least it is not so rude and twisted.

That is also not foolproof as the jpeg information can be modify easily.

Let them modified loh. As long as you have the negative copy (raw), which can be used to proof that the picture is taken by you. I always give Jpeg to customer, upload Jpeg onto web. Informations had already change here and there already. At least you have to keep raw to safe guard your copyrights.

One more thing, these copyright info can only be included when you connected your camera onto a pc which have the appropriate software that allows you to input the information. This software normally is the editing software comes with the camera and you will be able to read the camera serial number on the raw files using this software.

i think what's infuriating is the context in which it is used.

for example, your pictures are definitely not meant to be used for humsup purposes.. but they are placed there and used for meditative material. i think while leeching it to share perceived appreciation with others is also bad if no permission is asked, but at least it is not so rude and twisted.

You probably sum it up better than anyone.

More infuriating is the fact that this guy, removes all the watermarks, so make it harder for people to identify the copyright owners. Smart on his part, but then, this proofs that he is in fact aware of the legal aspects of his actions.

Anyway, I am sure someone out there, in CS, knows who john_hougang is.

Sigh... I had said it and will say it again.

EVEN TIGHTER CONTROL IS NEEDED ON PORTRAITS SECTION!

And portrait photographers, either don't post ur stuff online or take additional steps to protect those ladies.
Frankly speaking, even if the form of control on portraits sections comes across to some people as 'draconic', it has to be done!

Alternatively, ensure that the watermark is smack from top right hand corner down to bottom left hand corner from tip-to-tip.

Hi all,

I guess that there may not be a great answer to getting around the leeching problem, but I will put another thought to you that may help in some way ....

I am guessing that the main problem area is in portraits.

Those that post their portraits and those that view them are serious about either ...

Sharing them with others that are serious in the field .. or ..

Serious about learning the art and what it takes, and want to learn from talented people here.

If photo's were posted that were only done with enough resolution to give a small "2x4" image on the screen and then, if the viewer wanted a more detailed example, they PM the poster of the image.

I hope this comes across as I am think of it.

Hope this is some help in thinking towards finding a way :)

Sigh... I had said it and will say it again.

EVEN TIGHTER CONTROL IS NEEDED ON PORTRAITS SECTION!

And portrait photographers, either don't post ur stuff online or take additional steps to protect those ladies.
Frankly speaking, even if the form of control on portraits sections comes across to some people as 'draconic', it has to be done!

all i have to say and add is the leeching onto sammy boy is just as bad as what the bad eggs were spotlighted to be doing in that TNP expose. which is ironic considering how people are advocating protecting the model's reputation but half ass the access to the more titillating photos online.

Thanks for the heads up.

Actually, I've been posting fairly large sized pictures as they look small on my 1920x1080 display, although I don't get a lot of comments I get a lot of views! Maybe everyone can be assumed to be a leecher? I assumed that if I have the original 3000x2000 RAWs then I don't need to worry about anything, but I guess a lot of people can do a lot with photoshop or whatever these days.

However, though nothing much can be done, if we come across any such incidents, blatant or now, we need to act on it.

I definitely think you should act on it and let the guy know that this is not on. I'd also appreciate it if people recognises my photos being leeched.

Here are the facts:

1. Massive leeching images are mostly xmm and babes
2. Leechers are few but they usually are super hardworking and boh liao ... and probably mentally sicko....:dunno:
They don't really benefits from all these leeching but just to feed their mental illness and ego,
3. CS is not the ONLY place where they hunt for their interests .... they go everywhere and every sites where they find their xmm or babes, including blogs, friendsters, facebooks, etc ....
4. Leeched images are usually of poor quality and not artistic
5. You can never able to stop these sick people from leeching unless and until they grow up and understand what they are doing are plain stupid and meaningless :dunno:

Leechers are like mosquitoes .... they are irritating but usually they wont kill you unless of course you meet with the "professional" leecher who steal your commercially valuable images and benefit financially or otherwise.:think:

I just thought of another reason why leechers would steal your photos, as backdrops for youtube videos. The resolution for that isn't very big which means that we might all have to resort to using thumbnails.

Here are the facts:

1. Massive leeching images are mostly xmm and babes
2. Leechers are few but they usually are super hardworking and boh liao ... and probably mentally sicko....:dunno:
They don't really benefits from all these leeching but just to feed their mental illness and ego,
3. CS is not the ONLY place where they hunt for their interests .... they go everywhere and every sites where they find their xmm or babes, including blogs, friendsters, facebooks, etc ....
4. Leeched images are usually of poor quality and not artistic
5. You can never able to stop these sick people from leeching unless and until they grow up and understand what they are doing are plain stupid and meaningless :dunno:

Leechers are like mosquitoes .... they are irritating but usually they wont kill you unless of course you meet with the "professional" leecher who steal your commercially valuable images and benefit financially or otherwise.:think:
Well, we can't control if the hardworking despos obtain the photos from the model's friendster or facebook since it is within the model's or XMM's own domain of control and responsibility.

But portrait photographers have their own responsibility to ensure that such photos are not leeched from OUR end. Either we start putting expiry timeline and start pulling our photos off the net after a specific time or ensuring watermark's placed from tip-to-tip and those who are serious in learning the art would have to contact the photographer himself to actually view the hardcopies OR softcopies in person.

I'm talking about learning things facing the actual photographer face-to-face because that's another avenue for communication which doubts can be solved easily rather than "Oh~ Like that ah. I go try." den the non-intended and undesirable effect comes out and it further confuses the novice guy. Some things, its best to give pointers rather than saying, "Ok, u meter off the eyes, get the values, zoom out, compose, check flash power den fire.". I mean, how vague can THAT be to the novice guy~

Just wondering, if these chaps are so hardworking online to this point, why not might as well get their wanks off $40 at Geylang? Saves their effort and they get some exercise. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.