Loose ballhead

SkyStrike said:
sigh....BBB again :cry:.. K20, a BH that cost as much as the legs (using T1004 now).

Will consider this as an option....ran out of budget for this period of time already. Meanwhile, tahan with the G10 for now. Well at least it works perfectly for my other lens, but only issue is, the only lens which I use it on creeps -_-"'

Think of it this way loh. Good ballhead buy one time can le, dun need keep buying and selling. At least that's how all the people using markins try to brainwash me:bsmilie:

Think of it this way loh. Good ballhead buy one time can le, dun need keep buying and selling. At least that's how all the people using markins try to brainwash me:bsmilie:

ya...heard this alot of times in the forums after lurking around for some months. But knowing it is one thing, convincing oneself to get it is another. I have issues looking past the bank statement numbers *steadily dropping since I've started* :sweat:

Oh man, so much advice here telling you to BBB.

I don't know if I read you wrong, but it seems that you are complaning that the frame changes when you tighten the ballhead or when you release your lens/camera combination after tightening the ballhead. Frankly speaking, for the former, 55-250 + most cameras should not be an issue, this is common problem with ballheads + telephoto lens or macro lens, and is called "lockdown movement".

Even getting a Markins or RRS *might* not solve this problem. Please see RRS reply to customer who is complaining about same problem in thread below.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=503239

In any case, if you're talking about propping up the lens when tightening the ballhead, then there's an additional problem of added tension when you release your lens. It's only natural. My suggestion is to get a sense of how to control this, if you must really do the propping up thing, or use of a geared head instead might help if it really, really, really niggles at you. Otherwise, you might end up spending loads of money on something which still doesn't make a difference for you.

Other threads:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-85666.html
http://photo.net/nature-photography-forum/00Lzr6

Last edited:
Oh man, so much advice here telling you to BBB.

I don't know if I read you wrong, but it seems that you are complaning that the frame changes when you tighten the ballhead or when you release your lens/camera combination after tightening the ballhead. Frankly speaking, for the former, 55-250 + most cameras should not be an issue, this is common problem with ballheads + telephoto lens or macro lens, and is called "lockdown movement".

Even getting a Markins or RRS *might* not solve this problem. Please see RRS reply to customer who is complaining about same problem in thread below.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=503239

In any case, if you're talking about propping up the lens when tightening the ballhead, then there's an additional problem of added tension when you release your lens. It's only natural. My suggestion is to get a sense of how to control this, if you must really do the propping up thing, or use of a geared head instead might help if it really, really, really niggles at you. Otherwise, you might end up spending loads of money on something which still doesn't make a difference for you.

Other threads:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-85666.html
http://photo.net/nature-photography-forum/00Lzr6

Hi edutilos,

Thanks for the links, got a good read on those, but the situation which I faced is probably not this one. I do know after releasing the lens after tightening will creep downwards which you is mentioned "lockdown movement" (learnt a new term today), sorta got used to it already :)

The one which is currently happening is after making sure that it don't move anymore, I snapped continuous shots with same frame, same settings, MF, after every few shots (mostly 2-3), it will slowly move/creep downwards. All shots was taken/triggered using a shutter release remote.

I believe I will be giving this a few more tests before I can confirm it's the BH and not the user (me).

Rgds

T1004 is more for traveling etc. Tk recommended this? Should have gone straight for 2204/5 with the lens you're using..

Actually, I already know what model I wanted, but just unsure that G10 will be fine, but the salesman said that for kit lens, it won't be a problem. During that time I was hunting one for travelling, so it must be compact. But just curious, does the tripod legs matters when using different lens? I was under the impression only the BH matters.

SkyStrike said:
Actually, I already know what model I wanted, but just unsure that G10 will be fine, but the salesman said that for kit lens, it won't be a problem. During that time I was hunting one for travelling, so it must be compact. But just curious, does the tripod legs matters when using different lens? I was under the impression only the BH matters.

There is also a certain limit that the legs can hold. The weakest point of the whole setup is the one that can hold the least weight. If the BH can hold 10KG but the legs can only hold 2KG. Then the limit is at 2KG. Remember to include the weight of the ball head too.

There is also a certain limit that the legs can hold. The weakest point of the whole setup is the one that can hold the least weight. If the BH can hold 10KG but the legs can only hold 2KG. Then the limit is at 2KG. Remember to include the weight of the ball head too.

ic...learnt something new again..But this is also the price to pay for just for being compact and budget and light.

It is the design on which the clamp holds the ball. I tried opening the ball head but couldn't remind the ball from the clamp. You see, like a bicycle brake, the clamp should have some grip on the ball and not a smooth surface. The ball itself is smooth thus the is simply no friction. I am adding some friction to the ball to see it holds.
Once you are able to clamp the ball tight, regardless of the weight, the camera should not shift at all. The only movement is the legs and when you camera topple from your tripod! It is just like your camera is screwed to the tripod!

Be wary of what salespeople tell you in the shop. I went to Funan to buy a ballhead and I told the salesperson my heaviest setup is a 5D + 70-200 2.8 + 580EX II and he kept insisting this Sirui (can't remember which model) can tahan the weight, I asked if he's sure and he insisted. I think he just wanted to push that model even though I told him I am prepared to pay more for a heavier duty one. I bought the Sirui and sure enough it creeps whenever the setup is not sitting directly on top of the BH.