LCD monitors advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the recommendation on Dell 2209WA. Just ordered online. Think it is a steal at SGP$349, including GST.

I just checked the dell.sg website, there is this $50 coupon. How does it work? Can it be used on the same purchase or only on the next purchase?

hmm..i saw the dell. think the response time is abit slow..6ms. Would like something that can use for gaming too. haha...like 2ms! :bsmilie:

I'm using a pair of older 19" Dells which are 16ms and I can kick butt FPS games :cool:, online as well.

Lower number is sometimes better however you really only see the difference when viewing video, especially HD. This is where the 16ms panels I have kinda struggle.

Difference between 6 and 2ms is negligible. What graphix card are you driving the panel with?

Well, can't have the best of both worlds. IPS panel, unlike TN panel, are known to be slow...

i'm playing Prototype with 24" IPS... so far so good...

if calculation not wrong 60fps = 1/60 second = 0.01666*sec = 16ms... which most graphics card are trying to achieve...

having 2ms, means your graphics card must output 500fps...

think normal human eyes probably around 30fps... thats why some tricks are around to trick the eyes using this method. more trained ones maybe higher...

we have faster ms to have smoother refresh...

sometimes also dunno how its calculated... probably my calculation also flawed.

I just checked the dell.sg website, there is this $50 coupon. How does it work? Can it be used on the same purchase or only on the next purchase?

I'm not sure how that works, but I do know this: If you call Dell and tell them you'd like a discount, they're likely to give you one. I got a $50 discount just by asking.

Well, can't have the best of both worlds. IPS panel, unlike TN panel, are known to be slow...

TN are slow?? are you sure?? TN are some of the fastest panel.. but having less wider and color production as IPS panel

I love that Dell 30" IPS panel...

I just got a DELL 22" IPS Monitor 2209WA @$299 only. Promotion ends today.

Just too bad that it's a S-IPS and not H-IPS. The S-IPS has poorer uniformity than H-IPS. :(

Hi.

It can be used with the current purchase, making it effectively $299! Time to hoot! :cool:

I'm not sure how that works, but I do know this: If you call Dell and tell them you'd like a discount, they're likely to give you one. I got a $50 discount just by asking.

Would like to share a bit of a happy news. After making my online purchase for the 2209wa monitor at $349, and learning that dell is giving an additional $50 discount from you guys, I contacted dell to request for this discount to be extended to my purchase. I am glad to say that they had replied in the positive. It says much for a wonderful company.:)

Disclaimer: I and no members of my family works for dell.

if calculation not wrong 60fps = 1/60 second = 0.01666*sec = 16ms... which most graphics card are trying to achieve...

think normal human eyes probably around 30fps... thats why some tricks are around to trick the eyes using this method. more trained ones maybe higher...

i don't think it works that way. not really sure too but response time is different from refresh rate. i guess you can say that the higher the response time the more lag there will be between eg. you moving the mouse and the cursor moving on the screen. refresh rate is just how often the screen refreshes. so its equivalent to fps.

Last edited:
i don't think it works that way. not really sure too but response time is different from refresh rate. i guess you can say that the higher the response time the more lag there will be between eg. you moving the mouse and the cursor moving on the screen. refresh rate is just how often the screen refreshes. so its equivalent to fps.

response time iirc is somethin like the time it takes for a pixel to change from one color to another. ... e.g. black to white or somethin like tat

so even if graphics card is fast enuff... you see ghosting effect when u play game cos the color cannot change fast enuff

It doesn't work that way. How fast is the required refresh rate also depends on how the screen refreshes. On CRT screens, anything below 75hz or 1/75 rate is irritating to my eyes. On an LCD, 60hz or 1/60 rate is perfectly fine. In fact, for CRT, just at a glance, I can discern flicker if its anything below 75hz. And subconsciously, I can detect it if its below 85hz.

Likewise, what is a usable response time doesn't mean how fast a screen refreshes either. Actually, it refers to the time the average screen pixel can transform between 2 ends of a given colour gamut range. Go read up on it, its not what you interpret it to be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.