K5 Stock

Surely the early adopter the prices (whatever they were) were not a loss for Emjay.

I would'nt contest Emjay's decision but it does leave a bad taste when two days earlier I was told by SLR that the price is 1654 but no stock and today there is stock but the price is 1691 with no dual kit lense bundle. What is the point really ?

that's life.

i also have sour taste when i go ntuc and get told that 10kg rice bag on offer at 50% discount has run out of stock, and when new stock comes in, no more discount. :bsmilie:

don't you think you are taking kindness as weakness? every economist would tell you that it makes much more sense to carry out HURDLE pricing, i.e. you charge early adopters a higher price. for example, when the latest books are released, they are released in hardcover and the price is much higher than the paperback version. does this mean that the hardcover costs a lot more to produce? not really. this is called HURDLE pricing - if you jump over the hurdle, because it means enough to you to want it early, then you pay the price. in that way, the company milks consumers for all they're worth.

here, emjay has chosen to reward the supporters of pentax via reverse hurdle pricing. that is a serious anomaly, i guess it was based on trust, but somewhere along the line, some people decided to take this PRIVLEGE as a RIGHT, and then complain about sour tastes in mouths, about how they miss the better pricing, blah blah blah. you miss it, too bad. that's how it is. if you didn't win 4d, you don't get sour taste in mouth; if you didn't catch the bus, you don't get sour taste in mouth. i'm not even sure why you're getting sour tastes in your mouths here, but i honestly doubt if you're being rational here, since it was common knowledge that this was a limited time pricing. i missed the timing for the 35mm f/2.4, and i'm not buying it, that's how it is... big deal. i accept that i didn't get to buy it at a good price, maybe i would buy it later on at a higher price... but like that lor. no big deal, it's not the end of the world... and my life doesn't change because of it.

i guess, with all this whining online, we can all forget about it the next time. gotta love people, only care about themselves, but never keep their eyes on the long run. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
that's life.

i also have sour taste when i go ntuc and get told that 10kg rice bag on offer at 50% discount has run out of stock, and when new stock comes in, no more discount. :bsmilie:

I guess it is. That's why I wont contest Emjay's logic. What I can do however is to reevaluate my purchase decision.

Its not the price but the feeling. May I will purchase at this price later or maybe at a still higher price later still but no purchase for now :)

Hmmm....after the price raise, looks like it is cheaper to get the K5 from JB

Last edited:
Called SLR and seems they have increased the K-5 body price from 1654 to 1691 and say that they dont have the dual WR kit lens bundle, just the body :(

Called Emjay and they say their promoter is at SLR and body + lenses are available

Actually they still gave the 1654 price for the people who pre-ordered . probably if you pre-ordered too you should be given that price. otherwise there's no point on pre-ordering if price would be the same whether higher or lower in price. :)

and ehrm, I saw two guys getting a dual kit k-5 yesterday.

Last edited:
that's life.

don't you think you are taking kindness as weakness? every economist would tell you that it makes much more sense to carry out HURDLE pricing, i.e. you charge early adopters a higher price. for example, when the latest books are released, they are released in hardcover and the price is much higher than the paperback version. does this mean that the hardcover costs a lot more to produce? not really. this is called HURDLE pricing - if you jump over the hurdle, because it means enough to you to want it early, then you pay the price. in that way, the company milks consumers for all they're worth.

here, emjay has chosen to reward the supporters of pentax via reverse hurdle pricing. that is a serious anomaly, i guess it was based on trust, but somewhere along the line, some people decided to take this PRIVLEGE as a RIGHT, and then complain about sour tastes in mouths, about how they miss the better pricing, blah blah blah. you miss it, too bad. that's how it is. if you didn't win 4d, you don't get sour taste in mouth; if you didn't catch the bus, you don't get sour taste in mouth. i'm not even sure why you're getting sour tastes in your mouths here, but i honestly doubt if you're being rational here, since it was common knowledge that this was a limited time pricing. i missed the timing for the 35mm f/2.4, and i'm not buying it, that's how it is... big deal. i accept that i didn't get to buy it at a good price, maybe i would buy it later on at a higher price... but like that lor. no big deal, it's not the end of the world... and my life doesn't change because of it.

i guess, with all this whining online, we can all forget about it the next time. gotta love people, only care about themselves, but never keep their eyes on the long run. :bsmilie:

Agree here.
I laughed (at the people and myself) when the Pre-Order was announced. It was a blank cheque . Pay $150 upfront and get something at ??? price and ??? delivery date.
But those of us blind enough to do so were rewarded with a GREAT camera at a fantastic price.

What if it had turned bad like the D7K with hot pixels, focus inaccuracy or something else?
Then those who did not engage in the pre-order would just laugh at us early adopters.

Looking at it objectively, even at the very slight increased price, its still cheaper than the competition for what the K5 is offering in terms of features.

sucks that the price increased, but at least it only went up by less than $40, which is a mere 2%. anyway i thought it was clear that the pre-order price was a special price, so this price increase was definitely not a surprise to me.

Actually they still gave the 1654 price for the people who pre-ordered . probably if you pre-ordered too you should be given that price. otherwise there's no point on pre-ordering if price would be the same whether higher or lower in price. :)

and ehrm, I saw two guys getting a dual kit k-5 yesterday.

I agree partially here. Pre-order is not always about lower prices but more of getting it sooner for something that has a good demand. I am sure people can recall examples of this.

And yes, I physically went to SLR at least thrice in the last fifteen days and each time they said the price is 1654 but no stock. Not once did they mention that they have a pre-order on or that the pre-order price will be an advantage over prices when there is ample stock.

As I said, no hard feelings. Emjay and SLR are doing a great job for Pentax. They have a great product in their hands and want to maximise their benefits. So be it.

what's there to feel "buay song" about? it just costs a bit more... not as if they're charging double or something :dunno: :confused:

sucks that the price increased, but at least it only went up by less than $40, which is a mere 2%. anyway i thought it was clear that the pre-order price was a special price, so this price increase was definitely not a surprise to me.

I think emjay pre-order price is different from SLRR pre-order price...

I guess it is. That's why I wont contest Emjay's logic. What I can do however is to reevaluate my purchase decision.

Its not the price but the feeling. May I will purchase at this price later or maybe at a still higher price later still but no purchase for now :)

The thing is Emjay had given out a pre-order and those who pre-ordered got that price when they collected. For the rest who did not pre-order, you cannot expect to get at the "pre-order" price. It is a $40 increase but it is still cheaper than the K7 when it was release about 2 years ago.

I very upset and very buay song why K-5 price haven drop to $1388 !!! :bsmilie:
that might be very upsetting, but i'l wholeheartedly accept it if that happens;)

Last edited:
gotta love people, only care about themselves, but never keep their eyes on the long run. :bsmilie:

because in the long run we are all dead! (sry but i couldnt resist cracking an economics joke)

back on topic, i think K5 is a damn good camera(esp high iso performance and auto NR off) but i poor student using kit lens and old camera so just wait 1 or 2 more years lol.

the only buay song part for me is that MY AWS come on dec not on Oct/ Nov .. DamN. si bei buay song ...

Anyone know when will Pentax K-5 & DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR Lens Kit available? I saw it from Emjay site.

I agree partially here. Pre-order is not always about lower prices but more of getting it sooner for something that has a good demand. I am sure people can recall examples of this.

And yes, I physically went to SLR at least thrice in the last fifteen days and each time they said the price is 1654 but no stock. Not once did they mention that they have a pre-order on or that the pre-order price will be an advantage over prices when there is ample stock.

As I said, no hard feelings. Emjay and SLR are doing a great job for Pentax. They have a great product in their hands and want to maximise their benefits. So be it.

I do not think the price quoted by SLRR is the pre-order price. The pre-order price is available only for those who bought directly from Emjay right?

I have been a customer of SLRR and I know their pricing strategy - they aim to be the lowest (not just low) priced seller. In my inquiries so far, they have always given me the lowest quote even compared to TK or OP. My interpretation of the situation would be that they have tried to sell at close to cost, but Emjay was afraid that the low price would offend those who pre-ordered directly from Emjay, and thus instructed SLRR to increase their prices.

Whether I am being paranoid or not, it doesn't matter. For I know that in 6 months time I could probably get it at $1,388! ;)