K-5 Officially Announced :D

Well, kind of official, but I guess we've seen enough of these:

Pentax K-5 brings 16.2MP sensor, 'much faster' AF, and enhanced HDR to midrange DSLR party

The new K-5 looks exactly as a leak earlier this month suggested, meaning it's an almost identical brother to the weather-resistant K-7. Of course, the big changes are taking place within, with a new 16.2 megapixel CMOS sensor -- said to be equivalent in performance to the one in the 645D -- a 100 to 12800 ISO range, 7fps burst mode, much-improved 11-point autofocus, and an overhauled HDR mode. ISO can also be jacked up to 51200 with a custom function, but we wouldn't expect to get the finest imagery out of that. Other specs include a 3-inch, 921k-dot LCD around the back, 100 percent viewfinder coverage, 1080/25p video, and (sadly) only SDHC memory card compatibility...

Is there any info on the statement in bold?
645D DR, Noise, etc?? (probably wishful think on my part )

Great spec nonetheless.
Some may compare about pricing vs a D7K, but that SR mechanism does cost money to put in :D

Is there any info on the statement in bold?
645D DR, Noise, etc?? (probably wishful think on my part )

Great spec nonetheless.
Some may compare about pricing vs a D7K, but that SR mechanism does cost money to put in :D

Don't know leh. But I've seen the original JPG output from a K5 w/ v0.2 firmware, at ISO6400, it's almost like ISO400 to 800 from K7...

Don't know leh. But I've seen the original JPG output from a K5 w/ v0.2 firmware, at ISO6400, it's almost like ISO400 to 800 from K7...

Wah! Don't like this leh..
My K7 only 1yr+ old. :bsmilie:

That is good news indeed. ;p

I am just happy to have clean ISOs up to 1600. To have clean ISOs at 6400 is like *jaw dropping*!

wah really ah...time to put K-7 a side.

Here are some small size samples from Pentax Japan site. You can see the EXIF from the original site I posted above:

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

sure or not... even D700 iso6400 can see very visible noise liao...

I am just happy to have clean ISOs up to 1600. To have clean ISOs at 6400 is like *jaw dropping*!

D3s got clean iso6400... but that one so heavy ur arm will drop instead...:bsmilie:

wah really ah...time to put K-7 a side.

rather than put aside, put at my house... :thumbsup:

waiting for the price dropping to USD1000

The price is super nice comparatively to N or C or S brands.

FengWei, time to change your Avatar ;)

Nobody has confirmed that both cameras are using exactly the same sensor :)

K-5 is confirmed to be using the new Sony 16mp sensor (from Sony A55) though.

At the Pentax stand, marketing chief for the UK Marilyn Dixon proudly showed the K-5. I will admit, this is the camera Sony should have been showing. “We must tell you straight away that this camera uses a Sony sensor”, she said. “Sony make very good sensors”.
http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2010/09/20/battle-lines-drawn-at-photokina/

And since Nikon has always used Sony Sensor, and Sony has no other 16mp sensor, its highly possible that the D7000 will be having the same one as per A55 and K-5.

K-5 is confirmed to be using the new Sony 16mp sensor (from Sony A55) though.

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2010/09/20/battle-lines-drawn-at-photokina/

And since Nikon has always used Sony Sensor, and Sony has no other 16mp sensor, its highly possible that the D7000 will be having the same one as per A55 and K-5.

So the issue of pentax using Sony sensor is... What? :dunno:
A camera doesn't rely only on sensors alone, it should be a balance of everything.
Dun tell me NEX-5 is better than NX10 because NEX sensor is much superior.

Last edited:

no issue, im just replying to the query that D7000 and k-5 using are using the same sensor or not thats all :)

a diffcult pill to swallow....the sensor had to come from someone which most fanboys dun like/dissed off:bsmilie:
just ask any hardcore oly users what their thought on panny

Its economy of scale in using Sensor from big manufacturer. Development of sensors and manufacturing involves a lot of cost models, and risks.

APS C sensors from Sony have been widely used in Nikon 10Mp cams. Many of those are state of the art in the 10M pixels arena. For many mid priced dSLR, the 10Mp sensor still holds a large portion of the market today. Since most of us look at pictures on PC screen or home TV most of the time, a 10M sensor appears to be more than adequate.

Pentax has the firmware/amplifier advantage to process at high ISO with low noise. This is an advantage many Pentax users may not see. If you have used other dSLR, you can sometimes see sporadic tiny dots of red or blue appearing as noise. Although it can be eliminated via post processing, it is still noise.

The main advantages of the Pentax system is still in the lenses. We know Pentax got its name from lenses, not bodies. There are not as many lenses as other ranges, but backward compatibility and the universal K mount allows a lot of State of the art but cheap lenses to be used.

dSLR sensor surprising do not need a lens that has very high resolving power. Many modern d lens are somewhat compromises in technology and going backwards (but charge ridiculously high prices). But Pentax has designed lenses from the start that are friendly to dSensors as they fall straight on the film/sensor surface. Not so for even leica, as you can see leica has to incorporate tiny correcting lenses on the sensors. If you have an old lens like Kiron 70-210F4 k mount on a K5, you will know what I mean. The final result can easily surpass a N brand 80-200 with a N brand dSLR that is definitely not cheap.

If you really sit down and do some careful budget of a system, the Pentax is the way to go, especially k-r and k-5 are now announced. Also, product life cycle now is crazy. 1 year or so a dSLR is obsolete. Its not like the old days a Pentax ME Super can last donkey years.

If you look at September, its really an exciting month for Pentax and Sony users.

Last edited:
Here are some small size samples from Pentax Japan site. You can see the EXIF from the original site I posted above:

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

a diffcult pill to swallow....the sensor had to come from someone which most fanboys dun like/dissed off:bsmilie:
just ask any hardcore oly users what their thought on panny

...... just give me back the Samsung sensor ..............

So what if the sensor is from Sony and is similar to what is is found in other camera brands?
You need to look at the image processing engine too. This is what distinguishes the image quality and characteristics from one brand to another.

Now who wants to buy my gently cared for K-7? :bsmilie: