K-5 Officially Announced :D

With this and N's D7000, could the D7000 entice me to change camp? Or stick with the evil side???

If you already have pentax lenses, why switch? Upgrade the body, and you already have the lenses to shoot. Unless of cos' you only have the kit. ;-)

i wonder it's possible to have a built-in viewfinder cover like the d700 has on a DX camera

i think the long exposure one is the most important one for me

finally! too bad got no money :bsmilie:

yup, *no money* too, all went to other priorities (non-photography), so ... k20d still works for me. ;-) ... just have to wait and wait when taking long exposure shots. :angry:

With this and N's D7000, could the D7000 entice me to change camp? Or stick with the evil side???

So which side is the evil one? Nikon? :dunno:;):bsmilie:

That's what I've been waiting for too.

i wonder it's possible to have a built-in viewfinder cover like the d700 has on a DX camera

Interesting thought. But that'll have to come in k3. :bsmilie: Just use gaffer tape for the time being.

Interesting thought. But that'll have to come in k3. :bsmilie: Just use gaffer tape for the time being.

gaffer tape :eek:

no la, they always supply vf cover one...

just that i didn't know what it was for until i threw my jacket over my camera during LE :bsmilie: i think it's very easy to lose though, so i keep a close eye on it.

The K-5 indeed looks very interesting. I am contemplating going back to DSLR from m4/3 and this looks like a good candidate besides the Nikon D7000.

gaffer tape :eek:

no la, they always supply vf cover one...

just that i didn't know what it was for until i threw my jacket over my camera during LE :bsmilie: i think it's very easy to lose though, so i keep a close eye on it.

i just use my left hand to block... but i dun seems to suffer from this problem with K-x/fuji...

yup, *no money* too, all went to other priorities (non-photography), so ... k20d still works for me. ;-) ... just have to wait and wait when taking long exposure shots. :angry:

In your collective excitement you guys may have forgotten the oft-taken solution:-sell off the immobile residents (read 'under-utilised lenses') in your "dry-cabinet hotel" & re-energise the B&S market;)... & presto, in a wink you'd have more'n enough for the K-5 when it hit the shelves!!

In your collective excitement you guys may have forgotten the oft-taken solution:-sell off the immobile residents (read 'under-utilised lenses') in your "dry-cabinet hotel" & re-energise the B&S market;)... & presto, in a wink you'd have more'n enough for the K-5 when it hit the shelves!!

already done, every lens that i keep is utilised:

- sigma 10-20 (no need to say)

- fisheye 10-17, confirm need to keep for those occasional architectural shots. not used a lot, but can't do without it.

- 50mm f/1.4, for cats and fiance

- 70-300, cheap lens for the times you need a longer focal length

- 18-55 II for the rare times i need ir, also can't do without it

i think photography wise, i can't really sell anything.

maybe my canon pns...

i just use my left hand to block... but i dun seems to suffer from this problem with K-x/fuji...

it might be that the vf box is constructed with better sealing of sorts.

the k-x is using pentamirror, i think that could play a part in all of this. less light going through, less light will leak through too?

Pentax need to work hard on their marketing.
"C" "N"" will sell tens of thousands more of their camera, simply because odinary people with no photography experience will be able to walk into Courts or HN, etc. and actually be able to hold, try and buy one.
I've seen Pentax once in HN but they are not everywhere. "C" "N" sre always on paper and TV commercials to tell the world that they have a new product.

You can have the greatest product in the world, but if people can't try it out and buy it "on the spot" at a reasonable price it's doomed.
I can see a lot more people walking into a store one day for a new LCD TV, seeing a "C" "N" sitting there on display... picking it up, playing with it.. and maybe flat-out leaving the store with one in tow.

What I really can't understand, is that Pentax sells on Funan, SimLim, Chinatown, etc. but not in stores where there is tremendous foot traffic and sales potential.
This is an open call to Pentax marketing.

But thanks to D7000, there has been some reports the the new pricing of K5 will be just U$100 more:)

Pentax need to work hard on their marketing.
"C" "N"" will sell tens of thousands more of their camera, simply because odinary people with no photography experience will be able to walk into Courts or HN, etc. and actually be able to hold, try and buy one.

yes, yes, up the marketing budget...

and pass the costs onto the consumers recklessly... and laugh your way to the bank with more money.

you do realise that from an informed consumer's pov, this is not desirable (unless in the case where the company is no longer sustainable)?

I'd rather it has one card slot only so they can keep the body as compact as possible :) You can get a 32gb SD card if you like to take a lot photos in one trip :cool:
I am actually coming from the point of data redundancy. >: Storage space is not quite an issue nowadays.

SD on k-7 is already hard to remove because of the space, why make it worst by making 2 slot? :)

I will prevent my hand from touching the camera just in case I shake it? Yup, Kx no such issues, and my guess is that the deviation of 1 using prism and 1 using the mirror is a possible cause. again, an assumption.

Last edited:
SD on k-7 is already hard to remove because of the space, why make it worst by making 2 slot? :)

Yup, don't see that changing in k5. Still like the k10d, k20d mechanism. But my opinion, this shouldn't affect the decision to upgrade for non-k7 users. :angel:

These expanded feature usually are software tune... not actual amplification by the sensor...

but kind of weird that nikon D7000 only has up to 6400 normal. K5 has one stop more. But they both looks like they are using sony sensor with the same MP count...

but kind of weird that nikon D7000 only has up to 6400 normal. K5 has one stop more. But they both looks like they are using sony sensor with the same MP count...

There might be of similar design but it slightly diffferent.. Pentax is closer to Sony 1 cos slightly bigger to cater to SR... i dun think there share the 100% same spec, for different customer Sony will probably have slight customization to specific customer...

Nobody has confirmed that both cameras are using exactly the same sensor :)