Japan Year-End [Hokkaido - Kanto] 20 days trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually for those who are more concerned about photographic experience but at the same time concerned about budget, there should be ways to keep it low. i've spent about <3000 yen or abt S$40 (i can't rem exactly) in tokyo, but it is not a hotel then.

Just some feedbacks to share .. I've encountered (in Mar 07) many problem with JR officers with the JR pass taking the same sleeper car you mentioned.. when make reservation, they always insist that JR pass is not applicable and calculate the full fare for payment ... and their .. no English.. Japaness only really piss me off .. BTW, you guy could save quite a bit if taking the Hamanasu train (used this in the end), it is a seating and not too pack.. so we turn the front seat around and have two facing seats where we can rest our legs .. and it is quite comfortable. ..only setback might be it leave Tokyo ard 5+pm.. and arrive in Sapporo ard 6+am ..

have a nice trip .. it is nice in winter ... great food ..

in fact thats the plan all along haha... we'll be taking the sleeper train but we arent gonna reserve a bed... we'll be sleeping on the seats which is fully covered by the JR Pass AFAIK ^^

I think $3600 for Japan trip is not enough for 20 days.

What kind of lodging are you thinking off? Hotel in Tokyo about yen 7000.
Hokkaido hotel about yen 6000. Osaka yen 6000 t0 7000. These hotels are nearer to mrt or train station. Further away hotel is slightly cheaper but then you will be wasting time moving and tired by heavy photographic gear. If you plan to go Disneyland and Universal studio then better factor entrance fees into your budget.

14 day JR pass only for JR trains and cost about S$750. Other six days on your own. If your 14th day end in Osaka and you need to get back to Tokyo by shinkanasen, ticket about 12,000 yen.
Food also not cheap. Cheaper udon about 400 yen. Bus ride also not cheap. With a crowd may be you want to visit shinjuku at night. Allow for some beer allowance.

Otaru is also nice for sea food, esp the large crap. But I rccomend the fried chicken shop near to the Otaru station. Not exp and very tasty.

Winter is Hokkaido is beautiful. But go in the middle of Dec so you can see more snow. And hopefully can catch some snow fall.

Hope you manage to work out your trip within your budget.

$3600 is certainly enough... in fact, i'm quite careful with planning the budget...

i can find lodgings in hostels located in Asakusa central Tokyo for 1500yen per night (Khaosan Tokyo Smile) and lodging in Kyoto (5 mins from Kyoto Station) for 2000yen per night (Tour Club) all these are my hostels of choice for cleanliness, accessibility and friendliness after having stayed in most of the budget hostels in Tokyo and Kyoto

there are numerous food chains scattered around which offer full sized curry rice for 350yen each and other affordably priced food

14days JR pass costs around $600 and we'll be planning to depart Kyoto for Tokyo on the last day of pass validity

Disneylands arent a must in the itinery as i would not expect adults to be too into such disney stuffs... we'll be mostly visiting shrines and temples which either carries no entrance fees or a 500-600yen entrance fee

buses are certainly not cheap for travelling within the city but sure offers a great sightseeing opportunity... buses on the other hand are cheaper compared to trains for inter-city travels e.g Shinjuku to Fuji Go-Ko

as this is not designed to be a purely photographic trip, i would suggest all participants to travel light with minimal amount of photographic gear to maximize mobility... i travelled with my D80 with an 18-200mm VR lens and a tripod if i'm planning to do long exposure or night shots, if not i leave my tripod in the hostel most of the time...

i hope this year would see a greater amount of snowfall, 2006 was absolutely horrible =(

keep me updated when date is draw nearer :)

will do another re-confirmation by June

as i need to roughly get an idea of the number of the more-or-less confirmed interested parties to finalise the arrangements like hostel room reservations etc etc

btw when is the sappro snow festival ?
or is always held in Feb ?

$3600 is certainly enough... in fact, i'm quite careful with planning the budget...
=(

:thumbsup: $3600 confirmed more than enough. Spent less than 2k inclusive of airfare (excluding lens purchases :bsmilie: ) for 15 days in Japan (Covering Tokyo, Koyasan and Kyoto)

In any case can try www.couchsurfing.com

i can go (hope bonus fat fat).....but only can go from 5 Jan....'
My UK colleagues kapo the december period...(damn...faster than me)...

:thumbsup: $3600 confirmed more than enough. Spent less than 2k inclusive of airfare (excluding lens purchases :bsmilie: ) for 15 days in Japan (Covering Tokyo, Koyasan and Kyoto)

yah, i will change my mind and choose to go if can spend less than 2k.... ;)

15 days and covering kanto and kansai within a budget of $2k is difficult but still possible.... though it will be to the extent where you won't be able to indulge or enjoy yourself fully without having the word "budget constraint" in your mind ^^

i can go (hope bonus fat fat).....but only can go from 5 Jan....'
My UK colleagues kapo the december period...(damn...faster than me)...

what you could do is join us in 5 jan onwards, i could re-plan the entire itinery if you're keen

yah, i will change my mind and choose to go if can spend less than 2k.... ;)

possible if you don't mind really scringing up on every single thing ^^ or simply go for a shorter period instead of the whole 20-30 days =)

possible if you don't mind really scringing up on every single thing ^^ or simply go for a shorter period instead of the whole 20-30 days =)

can i be included in the email list to get full details of the ongoing process? cos anyway i can't stay more than 14 days in totality. scringing is not an issue. problem is accomodation and transport with the group is not much that can be done, which may very well be the bulk.

zoossh@starhub.net.sg

can i be included in the email list to get full details of the ongoing process? cos anyway i can't stay more than 14 days in totality. scringing is not an issue. problem is accomodation and transport with the group is not much that can be done, which may very well be the bulk.

zoossh@starhub.net.sg

i'll post updates in this thread =)

accomodation and transport will be kept to a low... so it might fit your budget afterall...

also keep me updated too....my email is darren.rox@gmail.com If everything is confirmed, I will show everything to my family and friends. If all agreed, it will be 9 people from my side.

I will also share with you my itinery if I have any...

also keep me updated too....my email is darren.rox@gmail.com If everything is confirmed, I will show everything to my family and friends. If all agreed, it will be 9 people from my side.

I will also share with you my itinery if I have any...

whoa 9 people.... any pretty gals amongst em? rofls

Status
Not open for further replies.