is "photography" becoming a fad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
how would it feel if u have ppl who constant show off to u? example, commenting that u r still using a 4:3 tv set while he is already using a 42 inch HD LCD TV, constantly commenting u this way?

If you feel anything about that, I'd say fix that sense of insecurity.

A fad is also good for those really interested in photography, we will keep a eye on the BnS forum.

well i don't know the numbers, but there were many many thousands of DSLRs sold in Singapore in the past couple of years.
naturally it would be logical to assume that many more Singaporeans are DSLR owners with each passing month.
With a fancy new toy (of course one that costs a significant amount of $$ too), you'd naturally be tempted to bring it out as often as possible, to take photos of funny moments with your friends, and perhaps make them envious that your DSLR can capture much better shots than their 8 megapixel 'wonder phones' ;)

* i think this explains about 80% of the occurences of ppl with DSLRs around town ;)

This is good.

Because I sell cameras. :bsmilie:

i myself fits perfectly into the title of this thread, carrying my d80 around with me out in town shopping or chilling with friends.

great photos and ideals can occur anytime and i wont wana miss that.

and i love fashion photography, so walking around in town do gives u alot of ideals. i find alot of photographer who are shooting fashion , though have great poses and skills but lacks the fashion sense.

lastly, your friends are the best tfcd models ever, the connection between u and ur friends allow much better photos rather than paid or tfcd models whom u hardly know?

anyway talk about getting girls with photograpphy, thats up to individual. but with growing number of girls who like to cam whore? i think it will be the direct opposite.

With the advancements in Digital Imaging, as well as high Megapixels in cell-phone cameras, the young will increasingly be drawn into Photography. But I must point out one fact here about Photography; MANY PEOPLE (young or old) and ANYONE, can pick up this Art/Hobby but FEW will be able to keep this hobby, and not many really have the PASSION. However it is true that new talents in Photography will or may come off this current diluge of young upstarts in this Art Form - be it for Fad Sake or a a Passing Interest of Young Hearts.

There are MANY ups and downs in Photography. Live pass them, you are a graduate. But still, this road will not end.

To date, I only see two distinct classes of photographers; the Editing Gurus, and the Brand Name Fanatics.

I guess, even if photography is a fad or is becoming one, it is good news to the photography community. This "newbies or fad followers" might have what it takes to be a good photographer, perhaps a fresh perspective towards photos might be seen through this people. This "fad followers" are new and often not guided by books,which results in similar type of photos being taken.

It should be a great thing that the photography community has expanded. The joy of photography shouldn't be confined to people who studied photography or are rich enough to buy a good dslr but to be shared among everyone who has an interest and are willing to learn.

IMO, it could be both.
I have had this convo many many times

friend :" oooo I wanna buy a DSLR!!"
me: " you know how much it costs and anything about it?"
friend : " erm.. few hundred right? ahh can take photo can liao "

:sweat:

Well, this all makes for a colorful society we have here...
.. there are photographers, and then there are 'photographers'... :rolleyes:

Sometimes I just feel people who buy cameras buy it for the sake of buying it. I know people who buy them but have no intention of learning how to use it and use the preset modes. People just buy because others have it and they feel left out when they don't have one. In a non photographers eyes, one with a dslr may be real cool, but when you know how to use it and see people fiddling around and being unsure or just using those preset modes (the type of people who buy for the sake of buying because everyone has it) then you go "he's just another one of those faddists" and he's better off with the PnS cams. They don't BOTHER to find out about shutter speed, aperture, I don't think they have any intention of seriously learning how to use the gear. Well thats a portion of them at least. It can be annoying to me, but hey it's their money.

Hey, just realized this adds another dimension to the title Fashion Photographer!
So be sure which kind of Fashion Photographer you hire... :bsmilie:

Hey, just realized this adds another dimension to the title Fashion Photographer!

Haha, that's a good one.

Eh, I sense lots of elitist and jealous undertones here haha.

Some people feel threatened by the surge in SLR numbers as they fear their unique prestige might be lost or diluted. Since laymen think everyone with an SLR is pro, they fear their image will be lost.

Then there are people who are jealous that they had to work hard to buy their equipment while others can just ask daddy for it. If you look through this thread, you can see quite a few. I myself bought my equipment with my earned money, but sure as hell would prefer others to buy it for me of course.

The thing about SLRs is that it does require some sort of learning to use compared to PnS, so I've yet to see anyone except my own rich business man uncle who has bought a SLR without the knowledge to use it. Even then, he bought the cheapest D40x without any extra lenses.

I don't quite see where people are observing these youngsters carrying around large cameras, unless they have selective vision. In fact, it's still rare enough that I will sometimes say hi and start a conversation if I do see an SLR user.

Eh, I sense lots of elitist and jealous undertones here haha.

Some people feel threatened by the surge in SLR numbers as they fear their unique prestige might be lost or diluted. Since laymen think everyone with an SLR is pro, they fear their image will be lost.

Then there are people who are jealous that they had to work hard to buy their equipment while others can just ask daddy for it. If you look through this thread, you can see quite a few. I myself bought my equipment with my earned money, but sure as hell would prefer others to buy it for me of course.

The thing about SLRs is that it does require some sort of learning to use compared to PnS, so I've yet to see anyone except my own rich business man uncle who has bought a SLR without the knowledge to use it. Even then, he bought the cheapest D40x without any extra lenses.

I don't quite see where people are observing these youngsters carrying around large cameras, unless they have selective vision. In fact, it's still rare enough that I will sometimes say hi and start a conversation if I do see an SLR user.

I agree. Actually, more people, both teens and adults are getting into photography. It just that teens are more prominent since they tend to hang out in larger groups.

The point is not to begrudge those who try to pick up this hobby, self sponsor or otherwise, let time weed out those who simply jump on the bandwagon. I can't see any cons to having more hobbyists, unless they make public nuisances of themselves.

The funniest thing happened yesterday when a touristy old lady asked 2 young ladies to help her take photos at Beach road. Unkowningly, the 2 young ladies were passed a simple point and shoot film camera.

And the next scene had me almost falling to the ground laughing (but I resisted)

One held the camera up away at arms length and started asking, "How to see thru this huh? Where to look?"

I didn't dare to stay any longer as I probably would have started laughing out loud...

I also wear an EOS cap and a Canon camera bag which contains only a bottle of water, a packet of pocket tissue, wallet and some chocolate bars.

My favorite T-shirt: :)

177297486_350x350_Front_Color-AshGrey.jpg

Wait till one of these days when you see them with a LEICA slinged around their neck.

how would it feel if u have ppl who constant show off to u? example, commenting that u r still using a 4:3 tv set while he is already using a 42 inch HD LCD TV, constantly commenting u this way?

I would engage in "reverse snobbery".

Not only do I have a CRT TV, I still got VHS machine leh! What? You have a 1Ds MKIII? Lucky you! I have to get by with a pinhole camera! But at least I don't have to worry about uploading all those photos onto my Pentium II PC...

Whatever you have, mine is ten times cheaper than yours... :sweatsm:

Wait till one of these days when you see them with a LEICA slinged around their neck.

Ever seen them driving around a Jaguar S-Type?
Guess WHO the car really belongs to?
But having said that, I know that some teens DO have the Passion and know quite a lot about cameras and what goes behind their brand names.

Status
Not open for further replies.