Is it advisable to bring it to Shanghai?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They want cash. They would rather pickpocket cash than to rob a camera, so troublesome to resell off.

Hi all! I'm going to Shanghai and Suzhou soon, but I'm not sure if it's advisable to bring my D90 to Shanghai. Should I?

TIA! :)

Hi all! I'm going to Shanghai and Suzhou soon, but I'm not sure if it's advisable to bring my D90 to Shanghai. Should I?

I've had no problems so far with both DSLRs and RFs. Just look out for pickpockets and snatch thieves especially at pedestrian bridges. As Bro PuikIaSquadLongKang mentioned, they are usually from Xinjiang and work in groups of three.

You might feel a little safer bringing a day pack and stuffing the camera inside whenever you have no interesting surroundings. Downside is that you might miss that "decisive moment".

I take it you're not photographing commercially. Ever considered asking your travel insurance company to insure the camera along with your belongings? I believe it's possible to have the camera insured as a belonging in case of theft or accidental damage.

And if you can't insure it, just make sure that you don't ever leave it where it can be snatched. Examples of this includes the handbang rule: Don't go slinging it at the side. I've been watching photographers locally for some time, and was somewhat bemused that I could likely steal the lens sticking out of their camera because they usually aren't watching it and don't have a hand anywhere near it... Thieves are opportunists, so don't create the opportunity. It's far easier to steal something that's poorly guarded. And yeah don't go into back alleys where you can be robbed proper.

..... why did you buy a DSLR in the first place? ........

Last edited:
No problem bringing your D90 to Shanghai and Suzhou. I brought my Nikon DSLR when i was there previously for a free and easy trip.

Just enjoy your trip and happy shooting.:)

If you're worried you camera will get shanghaied then dont worry cos shanghaing predominantly took place in the Northwest United States long time ago. However do stay away from the Shanghai girls at night or your wallet will be empty and you may have to sell your precious. As for the cold weather, don't worry too much just keep your camera warm under your jacket. Hope you have a big enough jacket...

its a darned D90 for goodness sake..... not a Gold Bar !

Just bring it along and shoot with it..... it is not made of sugar and thin glass.

I have seen this phenomenon for many years now .....32 to be exact..... Photographers who worry too much and overly pamper their gear tend to be very poor photographers at the end of the day..... this is NOT a fact, it has just been my honest personal observation over the years

Nothing wrong if you decide to keep it at home..... just imho its such a waste

I was there two months ago with my D700 plus 14-24 and 70-200. Shot over 2000 pics. No problem at all. I felt safer than KL.

or you can stick an A4 size paper outside your bag
"里面没有dSLR"
(inside dun have dslr)

You'll be surprised there are more DSLR users in Shanghai than the whole of Singapore. I have had a trip with Shanghai-ese to other chinese cities. The whole bus load of them are using DSLR.

the best camera is the camera you actually use.

even if you're in an unsafe country, there are precautions you can take, the level of alertness, finding out more about how to avoid nasty situations.

the issue is whether you care enough to research and prepare and push yourself to stay alert.

if you want it enough, you will find out how to do it, and do it. that's all i guess.

In the same way as I get around in any other country, including Singapore: being alert, make yourself familiar with those areas even the locals avoid, low profile, don't show off anything ... plenty of things already described here, can be summarized with "common sense". Sometimes I think there's nothing wrong with all those countries but rather with the perception of those countries in the minds of some people here.

True true, I usually shoot in malaysia with no problems. If you die die scared that some random guys would want your camera then get a big scary guy to accompany you, either that or lots of little people.

True true, I usually shoot in malaysia with no problems. If you die die scared that some random guys would want your camera then get a big scary guy to accompany you, either that or lots of little people.

that is the wrong mentality to take.

the best practice is just to be alert at all times.

if you have one big scary guy, they will just have 2 big scary guys.

if you have 10 little people, they can have 11. so it doesn't matter. :)

I hope you are joking! If not, the I hope you are a 'Big Brother" or look like one, this is a small child thinking!!! Sorry if you dun like the words, but is it better for you to get angry here and in a foreign country!

Think I have said it many times....
There are aunties and uncles in so many places, just sligning their DSLR over their necks and walk around...
Why are youngsters so paranoid?

You are not hanging a piece of goldbar around your neck, you know?

DSLRs are really no big deal anymore, please!

actually its true
every tom, dick and hairy dick is using dSLR now
its everywhere
even school girls use it to cam whore

Shanghai is very safe when compared to places like Malaysia and Jakarta

This is not a good comparison.
TS, What makes you think your gear not suitable for the weather there? Have you read your user manual?

also, if safety concern, Always alert. Even in SG if you still need to be alert. That's all.

Last edited:
This is not a good comparison.
TS, What makes you think your gear not suitable for the weather there? Have you read your user manual?

also, if safety concern, Always alert. Even in SG if you still need to be alert. That's all.

Why not?

No problem at all as long as you got a good camera bag to bring along. I always bring my DSLR for travelling. I will regret if i did not! With better picture quality, faster shutter speed, bulb mode for fireworks, I dun see why you will not bring. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.