Is it advisable to bring it to Shanghai?

Status
Not open for further replies.
dont bring it to Shanghai.

its nt worth it.

Because it is always location dependent and individual dependent.
In Shanghai French concession is very safe.
In Shanghai Old Town (east of Yu Yuan Bazaar) may not be the case.

In Johor Bahru of Malaysia is not very safe
In Melaka may not be the case.

Also, try to make yourself looks 'less tourist like' will be a good way to keep low profile. So again, individual dependent.

Last edited:
Also, try to make yourself looks 'less tourist like' will be a good way to keep low profile.

if nothing else, keeping a low profile will make you stick out like a singaporean.

if nothing else, keeping a low profile will make you stick out like a singaporean.

Ha ha, again as I said, it is individual dependent.
Most of my non-Singaporean friends said, when they travel overseas, they can easily spot out Singaporean, because they realized Singaporean tend to speak in a way, dress in a way, that makes them easily to be recognized.

i'm currently in Shanghai... just went out for 2 days walking around with my d90... actually not that bad... a lot of local shanghainese also bring their DSLR when going out... one day i see almost 10 DSLR easily...

i rifle sling my camera and walked most of the tourist spots in Puxi area... i read the map before going out... and knowing where i'm heading to actually kept me quite unnoticed... chinese just don't really bother about what's happening to others... when i'm lost then i ask those cops around the traffic lights right once...

just prevent to be seen as tourist... if no one asked you whether you want a "massage", most probably they'll take you as local, or very familiar with that area already... you'll be left alone then...

Ha ha, again as I said, it is individual dependent.
Most of my non-Singaporean friends said, when they travel overseas, they can easily spot out Singaporean, because they realized Singaporean tend to speak in a way, dress in a way, that makes them easily to be recognized.

Its funny when people 'think' they can dress low profile, or look like locals...:bsmilie:
I lived in Shanghai for a while and can spot a 'low profile' Singaporean a mile away...:bsmilie:

Its funny when people 'think' they can dress low profile, or look like locals...:bsmilie:
I lived in Shanghai for a while and can spot a 'low profile' Singaporean a mile away...:bsmilie:

what does a 'low profile' singaporean look like ? can u describe for those of us who dont know ? thanks :)

or you can stick an A4 size paper outside your bag
"里面没有dSLR"
(inside dun have dslr)

CAnnot. They don't understand the acronym DSLR. You should put on the paper:

"里面没有单反数码相机"

Yup. we stick out like sore thumbs in china.

i'm currently in Shanghai... just went out for 2 days walking around with my d90... actually not that bad... a lot of local shanghainese also bring their DSLR when going out... one day i see almost 10 DSLR easily...

i rifle sling my camera and walked most of the tourist spots in Puxi area... i read the map before going out... and knowing where i'm heading to actually kept me quite unnoticed... chinese just don't really bother about what's happening to others... when i'm lost then i ask those cops around the traffic lights right once...

just prevent to be seen as tourist... if no one asked you whether you want a "massage", most probably they'll take you as local, or very familiar with that area already... you'll be left alone then...

Too many foreigners in Shanghai already la. They are all used to it. Trying going to a place like countryside south Yunnan and see what happens.

Plus a D90 in shanghai is nothing man. The locals are all carrying D3x and D300 everywhere. D90 is low class. When I was in Qibao over the CNY holidays, I saw a 60+ year old auntie holding a D60 shooting on full auto mode. Power or not? I was holding my old S9500 prosumer and they all see me no up.

Last edited:
Dear TS,

Don't bring the D90 to shanghai. Go there and buy a D90. The D90 with 18-105 kit lens there only cost 7000rmb That is around SG$1550 only. Bring back sell in BnS and make some money.

Because it is always location dependent and individual dependent.
In Shanghai French concession is very safe.
In Shanghai Old Town (east of Yu Yuan Bazaar) may not be the case.

In Johor Bahru of Malaysia is not very safe
In Melaka may not be the case.

Also, try to make yourself looks 'less tourist like' will be a good way to keep low profile. So again, individual dependent.

Ermmm.. excuse me, East of Yu Yuan is the river already...:confused:
Are you talking about Pudong?

Anyway, Shanghai is safe. Plus with the coming world expo, police presence is at a all time high. Dirty streets have been cleaned up. All shop signboards are forced to be changed to uniform ones. They are overdoing it in my opinion. Shanghai is losing its charms. But it is prudent to be mindful of your surroundings at all times. Even in Singapore. Oh BTW, people in China hate robbers. And when you shout for help, the heartland folks will generally help, and robbers get whacked till kingdom come. I've seen it with my own eyes. Shout for help in singapore and see how many comes to your aid.

Too many foreigners in Shanghai already la. They are all used to it. Trying going to a place like countryside south Yunnan and see what happens.

Plus a D90 in shanghai is nothing man. The locals are all carrying D3x and D300 everywhere. D90 is low class. When I was in Qibao over the CNY holidays, I saw a 60+ year old auntie holding a D60 shooting on full auto mode. Power or not? I was holding my old S9500 prosumer and they all see me no up.

agree man... i also saw one white haired aunty using Panasonic GF1... the kit alone can buy my body + UWA lens liao... :cry:

any by the way... all Canon DSLR i seen there using L lens... except for one Hongkie using Sigma 10-20mm... :cry:

by the way... all Canon DSLR i seen there using L lens... except for one Hongkie using Sigma 10-20mm... :cry:

Yup. Even my lousy wedding AD photog in Shanghai, who charge 400 RMB for the entire day only, he uses a 30D with L lenses. And he shoots everything in landscape mode with flash straight on, like a PnS. And yes, he uses Auto mode. DOF? never ever saw the use of DOF in any pic he took. LOL.

And not to forget an old uncle I saw bringing his D3x, old big heavy Gitzo tripod with pelican case with casters up Huangshan. All he did was to shoot his family there. Damn power. And there I was with my D40x, suddenly i feel shrinkage. LOL.

BTW jaRv1s, I live near Hongqiao and XujiaHui. Whereabouts are you in SHA?

Last edited:

That's why I said it is easily to be recognized as Singaporean.

Ermmm.. excuse me, East of Yu Yuan is the river already...:confused:
Are you talking about Pudong?

Have you actually explore Yu Yan area?
There is a small plot of land (comparatively small to the whole Huang Pu Area) on the west of Zhongshan South Road and East of Yu Yaun Bazaar. It is part of the old town of Shanghai, where 丹凤路 and 德安里 located(http://hi.baidu.com/%B7%C9%D1%A9%C6%AE%CB%BC/blog/item/aa1224d9c79ed8eb38012f0b.html). There got very small alleys with the houses build close to each other.

Last edited:
Brought my D90 to Shanghai and Suzhou for 2 weeks just a week ago and its still safely in my dry cabinet now... Though I only brought and own one 35mm lens

For me, I sling it around by shoulder when not in use (while walking) and was traveling around with 2 friends (1 local and 1 SG) who were also using DSLR and a PnS. Since it was only a 35mm, i guess i was not too 'loud'.

When we were taking night scenes in Shanghai The Bund with a tripod, a lot of ppl were moving around us and looking at our LCDs at what we were taking and how did our pics came out. You could be intimidated at first coz they were practically putting their face right in front of your LCD when the preview was out. But most of them were 'harmless' and were just curious. Some even chatted up my friend and 切磋 some tips.... I even heard some people say "他们好专业阿!" when all 3 of us were just newbies :sweat:

Anyway, just be alert and dun give ppl any chance bah. For the kiasee me, I sling the camera strap around my neck even when i was taking nite shots on the tripod and was practically bending down all the time.... scared... lolz

If you are going Suzhou, stop by the TIMES SQUARE which is newly opened and very high class and very nice to take pics at night. Got a nice river with loads of colourful bridges, and a super huge sky bridge with an optical display. Got a huge ferris wheel some more!
Some night shots, sorry if they are not nice as me still a newbie and also forgot to bring tripod that day. : p

Dun worry that your DSLR will get lost there as there is practically no crowd! ppl in Suzhou are not so rich hence dun patronize there much, only expats.

Sorry TS if i had tokked too much or strayed from the topic ;p just hope that a real experience will calm your phobia a bit.... hee

That's why I said it is easily to be recognized as Singaporean.

Have you actually explore Yu Yan area?
There is a small plot of land (comparatively small to the whole Huang Pu Area) on the west of Zhongshan South Road and East of Yu Yaun Bazaar. It is part of the old town of Shanghai, where 丹凤路 and 德安里 located(http://hi.baidu.com/%B7%C9%D1%A9%C6%AE%CB%BC/blog/item/aa1224d9c79ed8eb38012f0b.html). There got very small alleys with the houses build close to each other.

I thought those are already long gone. All torn down.

Dun worry that your DSLR will get lost there as there is practically no crowd! ppl in Suzhou are not so rich hence dun patronize there much, only expats.

Don't worry about crowds at the bund. First, go there on a weekday. Weekends are almost guaranteed packed. Just do this: If you want to shoot sunset, the sun will set on the puxi side of the bund, so to take sunset, you need to get over to the pudong side of the bund. The place is called BinJiangDaDao (滨江大道). See this one that I shot. If you are shooting sunrise, shoot from the Puxi bund side framing Pudong financial district and the Pearl of the Orient tower. One thing to note, most of the year, Shanghai's sky is hazy. Once in a while when you get lucky, you get blue skies. I've lived in Shanghai for 5 years and blue skies are hard to come by.

You might also want to check out Zhouzhuang, Tongli, Huangshan, Zhujiajiao, when you are in Shanghai and Suzhou.

My pics from zhouzhuang HERE
My pics from huangshan HERE

Last edited:
I thought those are already long gone. All torn down.

It was there in the April.
The pic of the link is not showing accurately on the place I walk past. It was a narrow and crowded alley. Inter-link / connecting to different small back alleys.

Status
Not open for further replies.