In what ways is 7D better than 5Dmk2, and vise versa.

takengo2003

Deregistered
Oct 6, 2003
I know 5Dmk2 is full frame, hence it should take better pic than 7D.

but does anyone ever take a pic in 7D and 5Dmk2 and compare it side by side. Are you sure we can see the difference?
Went to a shop last week, took a test on 7D and 5Dmk2 both using same setting and same lens, shooting at the same subject.
But i cannot tell a difference. Too bad i cannot post as it was using the shop memory card.

I know 7D has excellent AF, how about 5Dmk2? I know this topic has been discuss before, but after seeing the pic side by side, i decided to start this topic again.

did you review the images on the DSLR screen? or transfer to a computer and look at it on a bigger screen?

5DMK2 AF definitely cannot win 7D. 5DMK2 AF is fast only in the center focus point.

Hmm but i do believe at high ISOs... 5DMK2 is much better then 7D. :)

Had my fair share of research before i bought 7D...anything below ISO 800 , both are very hard to differential.

did you review the images on the DSLR screen? or transfer to a computer and look at it on a bigger screen?

yes, review on the dslr screen only. both were taken using ISO 400.

Both are good cameras with diff specs... What's the fuss of comparing this and comparing that. Enjoy video and photo taking on these bodies which they are meant to be.

:kiss:

if you compare on a small screen i doubt you'll see anything different.

that aside, if im not wrong the 5mkii allows you to pre save 3 settings. may be a life saver for professionals

5DMK2 AF definitely cannot win 7D. 5DMK2 AF is fast only in the center focus point.

i read that 7D has a setting to improve ISO, something like ISO REDUCTION ON/OFF.
How much improvement will that be? Can i say if the ISO REDCUTION is turn on, 7D ISO3200 = 5DMKII ISO3200?

Does 5Dmk2 has this ISO reduction function?

7D has faster AF, faster FPS and is 1.6x (ok... 1.6x is subjective, depending on what is your style/area).

5DM2 has better ISO and is FF (again, FF is subjective, depending on what is your style/area).

Choose your poison ;)

easiest way to find out is to google for sample images. im sure some reputable review sites have tested both under controlled conditions aka under same light, with tripod etc. beats testing at shop where you have to rush.

U just cannot make a comparison of these great cameras using the camera screen. There are many comparison in the net - just google "5d mkII vs 7d" below is an example of what you will get :
http://www.cameratown.com/reviews/canon7d/#axzz0tWro3LPw
It really depends on what you want to say which is better. I will prefer the 5D mk II
Hope this help,
CS

Almost exactly 1 stop better.

7D's 1600 noise is 5D2's 3200 noise.

IMage quality is not just low noise though, and the 5D2 wins in areas like shallow DOF

Used to be an ex-owner for 7D and existing owner of 5DMKII.
I do see that the IQ for 5DMKII is better than 7D mainly due to it better ISO control and shallow depth of field. File output look to be sharper and colorful then 7D.

But as mention by the others, both bodies are made for different purposes.
It really depend on your shooting style, for me I am one who prefer to shoot wide than telezooming thus I appreciate 1:1 focal length from a FF more than a multiple of 1.6 focal length of a crop body.

7D AF system is superior than 5DMKII and I do miss this features.
However fast AF is not so critical for me as I rarely shoot fast actions.

At the end of the day it really depend on your shooting needs, having a better bodies does not mean having a better image output.
As what the rest had always emphasis, photography is not only on the gears you are using.
It really depend on the available lighting and how good is the man behind the camera.

Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:
It really depend on your shooting style, for me I am one who prefer to shoot wide than telezooming thus I appreciate 1:1 focal length from a FF more than a multiple of 1.6 focal length of a crop body.

7D AF system is superior than 5DMKII and I do miss this features.
However fast AF is not so critical for me as I rarely shoot fast actions.

same sentiments here! :thumbsup:

in summary (IMHO),

if you do like sports photography (i mean alot!), 7D is your cheaper option to getting 1D or 1Ds.

if you are more into landscapes, I think 5DMKII will be a much better choice due to the 1:1 focal length as mentioned by qingtian , not that crop bodies cannot shoot landscape but the 1:1 focal length really helps alot. :)

both is as capable for protraits photography.

So what type of photographer are you?

thanks for all the response, I am 50 into landscape, 50 into sports and zooming. So 7d iso 1600 is comparable to 5dmk2 3200? How about if I use the 7d built in iso reduction, what will be the comparison?

Last edited:
as long you have 50% into sports, 7D is your good friend

I know 5Dmk2 is full frame, hence it should take better pic than 7D.

but does anyone ever take a pic in 7D and 5Dmk2 and compare it side by side. Are you sure we can see the difference?
Went to a shop last week, took a test on 7D and 5Dmk2 both using same setting and same lens, shooting at the same subject.
But i cannot tell a difference. Too bad i cannot post as it was using the shop memory card.

I know 7D has excellent AF, how about 5Dmk2? I know this topic has been discuss before, but after seeing the pic side by side, i decided to start this topic again.

Everything you need to know about your question is in here:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/eos7D_vs_50D_vs_5DII.html

thanks for all the response, I am 50 into landscape, 50 into sports and zooming. So 7d iso 1600 is comparable to 5dmk2 3200? How about if I use the 7d built in iso reduction, what will be the comparison?

My experience with 7D is pleasant.
I would say 7D ISO 3200 is quite useable but of cos this is subjective for some.
If high ISO is not a big concern for you, I guess 7D should suit more on your need with it fast AF and burst shots for sport. As for landscape shooting, u won't be using the high ISO since most of the shots are suppose to be mounted with tripod and set at ISO 100.

Should you are into wide angle shot, I guess you could just get a UWA lens for the 7D.

Last edited: