Impressions of the NEX 5... plus Comparison with the Samsung NX10

It's not the same. In terms of resolution 1080i is definitely higher. But it takes 2 frames to complete an image in video. So if the image is slow or still, you will not notice the difference in image quality to 1080p. But in sports, u will see 'jaggies' as one frame has a ball in one position and the next half a distance away. Resolution of 1080>720 be it i or p.

If you deinterlace 1080i, it would be similar to 720p, right?

I thought only CRT behaves that way because the 3 "guns" are position in the center.

Nope, it's the other way round... the LCD monitors give different colours from top to bottom and side to side due to the diffraction of light at the pixel edges.

If you deinterlace 1080i, it would be similar to 720p, right?

If you are referring to just a single frame, deinterlacing 1080i is like interpolating the pixels and the resolution will lose out to 720p.

BUT, in video, the next frame made up the next 'half' of the image to create 'full' resolution.

Since 1080i and 720p is video, it's only right to compare them in the latter.

For reference, screen resolution:
http://www.diffen.com/difference/1080i_vs_720p

such probs minimised by IPS panels right?

The operative word is minimise... and it depends on the implementation and quality control... the vapour deposition method that creates the pixels is inherently inaccurate... there are significantly improved technologies which increase the quality but it cannot match the quality that CRT affords in terms of colour fidelity and viewing angle... So far the brand name that most photographers would go for would an Eizo professional panel which costs in the region of >$2000 for a 24 inch LCD panel... I have taken a look at the Eizo panel at Cathay Photo at Peninsular and I still see some hazing, colour change and distortion at more extreme viewing angles... not quite as good for the cash....

Interesting read Zenten... I would take the NX10 any day... cos the NX10 is really a step down camera for DSLR users while the NX5 is a step up camera for PnS users... no-brainer for DSLR users I would say... I still can't get used to PnS menus and shooting limitations... but I like the compact size of the W300 (which I found btw), TX7 and slightly larger Panazonic TZ-5... but for ease of use, always my A900...

... but for ease of use, always my A900...

Heh , thats for sure , full Manual controls . Nex5 is really for pple to fire on Iauto mode at different focal length. Which can be quite fun to use heh .

But I hope Sony will bring more exciting stuff to the mainstream Alpha DSLR line up and not releasing upgrades models ...... had enough of the 2XX and 3XX variants .

Hope they release a D3s killer at killer prices hahaha

bringing up old thread..

hi Tomcat, do you use non-AF lenses with your NEX5 and NX10?

Just wondering how they compare when it comes to Manual Focusing. So far all I know is that with the NEX5, you get up to 7x magnification and with the NX10 only 2x.

The NX10's smaller cousin, the NX100, has a feature called focus aid I think, which uses contrast levels to help determine if the subject is in focus. Do you know if this feature is available in the new firmware released for the NX10?

I have some old Nikkors that I would like to use with one of these EVIL cameras. So the ease of MF would be a major criteria. Some real life experience from you would be very helpful.

Thanks.