Impressions of the NEX 5... plus Comparison with the Samsung NX10

I would have been happy if it had came with a kit lens with the optical quality of the Samsung's 18-55mm kit lens which didn't even have a metal mount. :(

Hi Tomcat thanks for the comparison very useful. Maybe the future E-mount lenses will have better quality throughout the frame. I wouldn't mind a non pancake E-mount prime ard the size of a standard 50/1.8

actually just wondering why can't they give the kit lens with some lower grade carl zesis lens? I noted this because i been comparing shots between the nex and t77 (carl lens) and the difference is quite obvious thus i agree lens do play a very impt part. Or have sony achieve their objective, hook pns users with carl zesis and when they jump to hybrid or dslr they will itchy to get actual carl lens hehehehe.....

i hope sony fully develops the nex/e-mount mount into a mature platform/system and not just a springboard into the a-mount platform/system (which is what they seem to be implying initially with their targetting the pns upgraders etc)...

hopefully 16mm out soon for those of us who got the 1855 kit and hopefully we see a lens roadmap soon, be nice to see what they have in the pipeline

Last edited:
nice! and thanks for sharing the impression :thumbsup:
NEX5 is on my list

btw, where is this taken? like a good place to drop by on my next SG trip

cheers,
TJ

Some sample shots...
125495424.jpg

Last edited:
I think sony's strategy is to use the E mount for it nex 7 new video cam series. which will blow the other 3ccd videocam away as far as sensor size is concern.

The A mount adapter is just a bonus.....maybe someday, it can be AF with lenses with motor.

thanks for your info :)
looking forward for more picts from NEX5, especially with third party lenses

thanks for comparo tomcat!

dpreview updated their nex review, nex-5 score increased by 1% to 65% lol... http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonynex5nex3/page17.asp

interestingly, using their "Compare to" tool on the same page, i found they rate Image quality (raw), Image quality (jpeg) & Low light / high ISO performance higher than that of D3000, Ricoh GXR/S10 24-72mm F2.5-4.4... E-PL1 slight edge on Image quality (jpeg)

dpreview updated their nex review, nex-5 score increased by 1% to 65% lol... http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonynex5nex3/page17.asp

interestingly, using their "Compare to" tool on the same page, i found they rate Image quality (raw), Image quality (jpeg) & Low light / high ISO performance higher than that of D3000, Ricoh GXR/S10 24-72mm F2.5-4.4... E-PL1 slight edge on Image quality (jpeg)

DPReview is known of its bias.

........ I don't think they are ..... in this case ........................ :)

if u want
we can a shootout with against yr FF dslr next meetup..be it D700 or the 1dsmk2

Should give yourself a smack in the head for reading dpreview :)

For those desktop cameramen or the inanimate shooters...
not that i biased toward Sony camera or against others brand...since i had my own fair share of usage of the several brand ff cameras...i can safetly said that no cameras that are sure win in term of ergonomic and usage and depend on individual experience with their respective brand..i not surprised some will be biased...
here a pic of the shot taken from imaging rescource from nex5,5dmk2 and D700 not in order and stripped of their exif data
can anyone tell at what iso is the pics taken and from which camera?
4703147389_7365f68c18.jpg

4703781136_9d82a23370.jpg

4703779566_8a6d9edb72.jpg

if u want
we can a shootout with against yr FF dslr next meetup..be it D700 or the 1dsmk2

Why bother ...... you now own all the cameras you mentioned including your NEX5 ..... just post us your test results lor ........ ;)

....me dun wanna get get involved in brand wars ........ anymore .... :p

Last edited:
In the days of Sony F707,F717...it's a dream comes true. The handling is quite similar to those cameras then but with interchangeable lens!

is NEX-5 the third pict?

For those desktop cameramen or the inanimate shooters...
not that i biased toward Sony camera or against others brand...since i had my own fair share of usage of the several brand ff cameras...i can safetly said that no cameras that are sure win in term of ergonomic and usage and depend on individual experience with their respective brand..i not surprised some will be biased...
here a pic of the shot taken from imaging rescource from nex5,5dmk2 and D700 not in order and stripped of their exif data
can anyone tell at what iso is the pics taken and from which camera?
4703147389_7365f68c18.jpg

4703781136_9d82a23370.jpg

4703779566_8a6d9edb72.jpg

Cannot say... image too small. OBVIOUSLY

I am guessing all 3 photos are using e same (high) iso setting.

1st photo
= I think, in terms of colors, i like this photo the most.

2nd photo
= Colors more vibrant than e rest. A little too unnatural for me.

3rd photo
= Noise level is e most obvious for this one.
My guess is this photo is taken, using Sony Nex 5.

using diff monitor,

1. Canon
2. Nikon
3. Sony

all the pics are taken at iso 12800 and bananaOne got all rite.