Ideal budget flash that can be used for strobing?

ombre

Sep 3, 2008
Hi guys, I've been searching for awhile as to what flash I should change to, but i can't seem to find the best balance.

Have 3 things in mind

Flash that can be remotely triggered.
Budget of below 200.
Reasonable power enough to handle events (with dome diffuser).

Most models seem to meet 2 of my critierias, but not 3. Wonder if anyone can point me to a good flash?

One thing I am curious about but unable to try is optically triggering a flash such as a Nissin 622 with the onboard flash. Are the results good since you will have one direct light from your onboard flash?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Hi guys, I've been searching for awhile as to what flash I should change to, but i can't seem to find the best balance.

Have 3 things in mind

Flash that can be remotely triggered.
Budget of below 200.
Reasonable power enough to handle events (with dome diffuser).

Most models seem to meet 2 of my critierias, but not 3. Wonder if anyone can point me to a good flash?

One thing I am curious about but unable to try is optically triggering a flash such as a Nissin 622 with the onboard flash. Are the results good since you will have one direct light from your onboard flash?

Thanks a lot in advance!
you can lower the power out of the built in flash till it just barely enough to trigger remote flash, or make your own version of Nikon IR panel

http://www.flickr.com/photos/milo-fabian/3084823022/

A cheapo flash like YN460 can be triggered by the on-camera flash IIRC.
Otherwise, get something like it (~$110) and then get a wireless trigger (~$70)

You will need to learn about manual flash though.

For me, a used Nikon flash would be the best buy for this... and using a wireless trigger to remotely trigger the flash... so you can look out for the SB24s, SB26s, SB28s, SB80DXs, and they are powerful and priced between $150-$200 for a 2nd hand unit.

For me, a used Nikon flash would be the best buy for this... and using a wireless trigger to remotely trigger the flash... so you can look out for the SB24s, SB26s, SB28s, SB80DXs, and they are powerful and priced between $150-$200 for a 2nd hand unit.

pretty hard, to source nowadays. :bsmilie:

SB25s also have.