Home studio setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a snoot will suffice. Can make your own actually.

can make as in snoot can make or fresnel?

i already have 2 bowens snoot.

actually if i invest in a bowens fresnel, maybe i can just use 1 light to light up the gal as well as the breaking of plank.
hmmmm.:dunno: :what:

iyo, you think it's possible to 'make' my own fresnel lens?maybe i just need a very big magnifying glass.?

the bowens fresnel is about 1.5k....i think it's quite insane for a light modifier though i love the fresnel effect.

Hi Jeanie,
Just took a look at your dance pics. really cool how far you have come since asking about setting up a home studio. Anyway, back to your question. I am not sure if it will work, since I have not seen a studio fresnel lens upclose. But you could try those plastic fresnels that they sell at bookshops for map reading. the biggest I've seen is about A4 size.
I'm not sure if they bend light as much as the real frenels but I used them on my flash to extend the range of my flash when doing night bird photography.
One suggestion to increase focus ie. reduce the size of the light, is to get a couple of these lenses and place them a few inches apart. Hope this helps.

Hi Jeanie,
Just took a look at your dance pics. really cool how far you have come since asking about setting up a home studio. Anyway, back to your question. I am not sure if it will work, since I have not seen a studio fresnel lens upclose. But you could try those plastic fresnels that they sell at bookshops for map reading. the biggest I've seen is about A4 size.
I'm not sure if they bend light as much as the real frenels but I used them on my flash to extend the range of my flash when doing night bird photography.
One suggestion to increase focus ie. reduce the size of the light, is to get a couple of these lenses and place them a few inches apart. Hope this helps.

it certainly did help!
at least, a cheaper idea/prototype instead of 1.5k.
thanks for the tip.i'll try it when i have time.
really innovative by using it to extend flash range!:thumbsup:

You may be able to find cheap 2nd hand bowens spot flash. I got mine only 500 bucks :)

i think a fresnel light will look good in this scene imho.
sigh...ultimate is of course, to have ALL the available light modi in the market.

489877543_90c59ddcdb_o.jpg

It gives the same effect as a fresnel, well sort of. GIves a focused spot of light and you can even see the defined edges of the circle of light if you want.

The fresnel is an attachment to an existing light. The monospot is a combined all in one thingy - but this is an old model already.

spot flash is....????
fresnel?

It gives the same effect as a fresnel, well sort of. GIves a focused spot of light and you can even see the defined edges of the circle of light if you want.

The fresnel is an attachment to an existing light. The monospot is a combined all in one thingy - but this is an old model already.

got it.thanks for explanation:thumbsup:

First off, many thanks to Jeanie for having started this thread! :thumbsup:

Loads of information, and tons to go through :sweat:

I'm thinking of setting up a home mobile studio for Half Body Portraits, where my subjects will be seated in a chair.

The plan is to start with just one main light first (I'm a sucker for Rembrandt lighted low key images), and a fill light for the back ground.

I'll be using this setup mostly in my study room, which is a rather small (15' x 15' space).

Would appreciate your advice on:

1) The minimalist list of equipment (and brand recommendations if possible) I will need
2) Whether the space is too small for my purposes

Thanks all! :)

15' is 15 meters or 15 feet?

And oh yes, I mentioned mobile because I eventually intend to do outdoor portraitures (full body) once I've experimented enough indoors in my own confines and get comfortable with the equipment. Many thanks in advance! :)

Actually, 15 feet translates to 4.5m by 4.5m, which isn't that small actually.

Yep, 15 feet. Terribly small, but that's what I can spare for now :sweat:

And oh yes, I mentioned mobile because I eventually intend to do outdoor portraitures (full body) once I've experimented enough indoors in my own confines and get comfortable with the equipment. Many thanks in advance! :)

You might want to start a new thread. And you need to purchase those portable batteries type of monobloc for any outdoor shooting.:) Have fun...

Oops, sorry. Will do so. Thanks :)

why start a new thread?

if you have home studio queries like i did, please feel free to post it in this thread ya!:)

First off, many thanks to Jeanie for having started this thread! :thumbsup:

Loads of information, and tons to go through :sweat:

I'm thinking of setting up a home mobile studio for Half Body Portraits, where my subjects will be seated in a chair.

The plan is to start with just one main light first (I'm a sucker for Rembrandt lighted low key images), and a fill light for the back ground.

I'll be using this setup mostly in my study room, which is a rather small (15' x 15' space).

Would appreciate your advice on:

1) The minimalist list of equipment (and brand recommendations if possible) I will need
2) Whether the space is too small for my purposes

Thanks all! :)

There was an article from Practical Photography on simple indoor portraits...

Let me see,

Dec 2005, pg 14.

A simple backdrop would suffice if you just want half body shots (white or black would be good for starters)

Simple lighting (even a simple Ikea Halogen table lamp would suffice, but note that they may be hot for prolonged use.) Else a decent flash mounted on a tripod connected either by wire or thru a wireless transmitter.

A reflector to bounce light from the main light to fill in for the other side

And of course, your chair. ;)

why start a new thread?

if you have home studio queries like i did, please feel free to post it in this thread ya!:)

Thanks Jeanie! :D

There was an article from Practical Photography on simple indoor portraits...

Let me see,

Dec 2005, pg 14.

A simple backdrop would suffice if you just want half body shots (white or black would be good for starters)

Simple lighting (even a simple Ikea Halogen table lamp would suffice, but note that they may be hot for prolonged use.) Else a decent flash mounted on a tripod connected either by wire or thru a wireless transmitter.

A reflector to bounce light from the main light to fill in for the other side

And of course, your chair. ;)

Hehe, the chair is the first piece of equipment I have, courtesy of Ikea :bsmilie:

I was thinking of first getting an umbrella (the one with a white surface underneath), and mounting a 580EX speedlite on it. This will get me started at least.

But one thing I feel iffy about the speedlite is, Canon expects the speedlite user to rely on its ETTL II algorithms, and the user is pretty much left to trial-and-error.

Would it be best if I start with say, a small monobloc of 400W? Pls let me know your thoughts, y'all!

Status
Not open for further replies.