Hands-on with Pentax K-5 :)

A post on a spanish forum demonstrating the immense amounts of shadow detail in the K-5 raw. Some guys took a massively underexposed photography taken at iso 80 while the flash was recharging, and ran it through lightroom to see if it can be rescued.

La K-5 hace magia..

hi, guys.. i was thinking of upgrading my 5 year old d70 to d7000, but after i saw pentax k-5, i am blown away! now i do not know which one i should start saving up for.. how much is k-5 here? i actually started of with pentax me super, which is dead now.. and i use all my pentax manual lenses on my d70, sold all my nikon lenses.. but as i have little knowledge about the recent cameras from pentax (esp. the DSLR), i would like to ask whether the K-mount lenses will be mountable with this cam? thanks!

boy, i saw fengwei's post about the pictures taken by his friend..
the cam is weather proof, but splashing with water to that extent, is it still ok?:eek:

hi, guys.. i was thinking of upgrading my 5 year old d70 to d7000, but after i saw pentax k-5, i am blown away! now i do not know which one i should start saving up for.. how much is k-5 here? i actually started of with pentax me super, which is dead now.. and i use all my pentax manual lenses on my d70, sold all my nikon lenses.. but as i have little knowledge about the recent cameras from pentax (esp. the DSLR), i would like to ask whether the K-mount lenses will be mountable with this cam? thanks!

the cam is weather proof, but splashing with water to that extent, is it still ok?:eek:

No issues wth using of old K-mount lenses with digital bodies. If you have screw mount lenses you can also use them via a M42-K mount adapter.

For Pentax-A lenses, you get to use auto modes on digital bodies ;) For Pentax-M lenses, you can meter and get readings with a very useful green button. There are also the catch in focus feature, dof button.

I'm sure you wont regret getting a K-5! vintage or new lenses will suit it perfectly :lovegrin:

WR is meant to take on drastic weather conditions like snow, sand, water. As long as you dont submerge the entire camera deep in water, I don't think anything will go wrong. In fact if you search for videos online, you can see some people testing the WR capabilities by "showering" it, bring it for sea expeditions, etc.

Check out high iso comparison between K5/D700/D7000:

K5vsD700vsD7000.jpg

FW!

You are giving me a heart-ache with this comparison!!! EX Pentax owner, and now with out a DSLR :(

I think, I am going to get K5 ;)

But then again, why is the K5 histogram so different? looks like D7000 and D700 were over exposed a bit?

Last edited:

If you are not stuck w/ Nikon, just got for a K5, you won't regret :)

And weather proof is the last thing you need to worry about this great camera:

PentaxK7_Cold.jpg

K7_Snow.jpg

K7_Russian.jpg

FW!

You are giving me a heart-ache with this comparison!!! EX Pentax owner, and now with out a DSLR :(

I think, I am going to get K5.

But then again, why is the K5 histogram so different? looks like D7000 and D700 were over exposed a bit?

Just go for it!

PentaxK7_26.jpg

PentaxK7_25.jpg

PentaxK7_24.jpg

PentaxK7_23.jpg

No issues wth using of old K-mount lenses with digital bodies. If you have screw mount lenses you can also use them via a M42-K mount adapter.

For Pentax-A lenses, you get to use auto modes on digital bodies ;) For Pentax-M lenses, you can meter and get readings with a very useful green button. There are also the catch in focus feature, dof button.

I'm sure you wont regret getting a K-5! vintage or new lenses will suit it perfectly :lovegrin:

That's good news, means i can still use my M lenses with metering, is it correct? i am quite used to manual focus now that i don't really mind using it all the time, but i haven't got the hang of manual exposure yet..

WR is meant to take on drastic weather conditions like snow, sand, water. As long as you dont submerge the entire camera deep in water, I don't think anything will go wrong. In fact if you search for videos online, you can see some people testing the WR capabilities by "showering" it, bring it for sea expeditions, etc.

If you are not stuck w/ Nikon, just got for a K5, you won't regret :)

And weather proof is the last thing you need to worry about this great camera:

i am not stuck with the brand, just worried about the availability of the lenses, esp manual..
haha! but i think that is not really a problem, isn't that?

i think i love the WR feature, takes my worries off if i have to shoot under drizzle or slight rain.. i did that couple of time, drizzling, with my d70.. the camera hates it.. gave me quite a problem afterward.. so i think it's a nice feature for me.. but the lenses are not all WR, right?

seriously, now i think i will just save up for this, i need high ISO as well, i usually work up to 1600 (the max with my d70) and it looks like 26500 in k-5..

i think you guys have succeeded in convincing me.. haha!

i think if i really buying this, i will convert my d70 into IR..

probably getting earlier next year.. must save up first, also emjay doesn't have stock yet..

Last edited:
A post on a spanish forum demonstrating the immense amounts of shadow detail in the K-5 raw. Some guys took a massively underexposed photography taken at iso 80 while the flash was recharging, and ran it through lightroom to see if it can be rescued.

La K-5 hace magia..

Another demonstration of the K-5's remarkable shadow depth.

How to recover a 10 stop underexposed K-5 image.

They took a picture metered at iso51,200 at iso80, then pushed it 9.5 stops during development. The result doesn't look too bad!

That's good news, means i can still use my M lenses with metering, is it correct? i am quite used to manual focus now that i don't really mind using it all the time, but i haven't got the hang of manual exposure yet..

i am not stuck with the brand, just worried about the availability of the lenses, esp manual..
haha! but i think that is not really a problem, isn't that?

i think i love the WR feature, takes my worries off if i have to shoot under drizzle or slight rain.. i did that couple of time, drizzling, with my d70.. the camera hates it.. gave me quite a problem afterward.. so i think it's a nice feature for me.. but the lenses are not all WR, right?

seriously, now i think i will just save up for this, i need high ISO as well, i usually work up to 1600 (the max with my d70) and it looks like 26500 in k-5..

i think you guys have succeeded in convincing me.. haha!

i think if i really buying this, i will convert my d70 into IR..

probably getting earlier next year.. must save up first, also emjay doesn't have stock yet..

Hi,

The Pentax WR capabilities was tested during my recent trip to Japan.

I shoot with the K7 in the rain and because of the fine droplets, you get really soaking wet even in short time. Wore a rain coat and happily shooting with camera fully exposed to the rain. Really enjoyed the experience :thumbsup:

Since K7 & K5 body consider WR, but actually how many lens from pentax come with WR protection as well?
Seem not many, what I got 18-55 WR + 50-200 WR
I know new lens 18-135 WR, 100 WR.
Any more?

Since K7 & K5 body consider WR, but actually how many lens from pentax come with WR protection as well?
Any more?

16-50 DA*

frankly speaking, WR is just for slightly greater peace of mind... at the end of the day, there is no WR offering for certain focal lengths, e.g. 10-20 or 12-24 type of range.

i would choose the lens based on performance, before considering whether it is WR.

Yeah, agree with night86mare, WR just hv better peace of mind.
I guess most of high performance lens doesn't come with WR.
Seem WR is not a must, unless u really take photo in extreme area.

Any more?

All the Pentax DA* lenses, DA*55mm, DA*16-50mm, DA*50-135mm, DA*200mm, DA*300mm and DA*60-250mm are weather sealed too.;)

All the Pentax DA* lenses, DA*55mm, DA*16-50mm, DA*50-135mm, DA*200mm, DA*300mm and DA*60-250mm are weather sealed too.;)
thanks for the info :)
Plan to get a walkabout lens sigma 18-250mm, any one use this lens before? any feedback?

SO the K-5 does not have the Extra feature of the auto-orientation?
It's a cool feature on the K-7 which i like it alot. Hmm.. how come They will miss it out on the K-5 :think:

Is there a setting in the K-5 to turn it on?
Confirm K5 hv auto-orientation.

Hi,

The Pentax WR capabilities was tested during my recent trip to Japan.

I shoot with the K7 in the rain and because of the fine droplets, you get really soaking wet even in short time. Wore a rain coat and happily shooting with camera fully exposed to the rain. Really enjoyed the experience :thumbsup:

Haha! Nice! I think thrice if i were to do that with my d70..

16-50 DA*

frankly speaking, WR is just for slightly greater peace of mind... at the end of the day, there is no WR offering for certain focal lengths, e.g. 10-20 or 12-24 type of range.

i would choose the lens based on performance, before considering whether it is WR.

Yup, i agree totally to this! WR for me is a nice feature, but as i mentioned in another thread, it is performance, rather than extra features that makes me opt for a camera!;p