Hands-on with Pentax K-5 :)

heck i dun even recall any situation when i need 6400 least 12800 up. So far just 1600 is already the max i use and it is already pretty useful. Now 6400 being so clean is just godlike for me. Dun even think i need 6400 unless in close to near dark situations and if so i wonder why i am there taking photos anyway.

not really. Actually many indoor lighting require ISO3200 or ISO6400 if you want to shoot at 1/60 (just to make sure there is not motion blur) with f2.8.

IMHO, it does not really matter other than for chest thumping and TCSS sessions :D
Leave this type of work to review sites.

What matters more is what the photos say right now.
ISO6400 is certainly highly usable and already allowing the potential for high quality shots in ambient lighting.

ISO12800 still good. Certainly usable. Might be more for documentaries like (the private life of neighborhood cats) :D

ISO above that seems to be highly recoverable based on samples from other forums.
IMO, it already gives the low light performance to do many things in low ambient light.

the problem is that nobody seems to have the k-5 except singapore :)

I am worried about the FINE details at ISO6400. The ISO6400 looks REALLY clean for APS-C but I am not sure if it is because of NR applied on the RAW.

I am interested in the comparison between D700 and k-5 because if it is as good, then I probably sell my big heavy FF WA lens and get a K-5 with an ultra wide for APS-C.

Can the owners share the experience in using electronic leveling function in k5 ?

Currently about 20% of my photos taken with my lovely white k-x are not in perfect level. I need adjust them in LR by a few degrees.

Hope the electronic leveling function will help me to overcome this issue ?

Can the owners share the experience in using electronic leveling function in k5 ?

Currently about 20% of my photos taken with my lovely white k-x are not in perfect level. I need adjust them in LR by a few degrees.

i don't know how accurate it is, but you can solve this with a $10 spirit level

So far so good since K7. My only issues are with apparent leveling vs real leveling.

I ordered my K5 and DA 35 yesterday, hope to get them soon! After trying out another brand, I find that I still miss Pentax alot..:)

I ordered my K5 and DA 35 yesterday, hope to get them soon! After trying out another brand, I find that I still miss Pentax alot..:)

Welcome back! :bsmilie:

Haha thanks bro, I find the Pentax menu and interface the most intuitive and easy to use. Plus I can't let go of the colours!:bsmilie:

Welcome back! :bsmilie:

Last edited:

Haven't tried the auto leveler in live view yet, but the level indicator in the viewfinder is helpful getting level shots while shooting handheld!

The K5 is definitely a MUST-BUY. Go get one now. kekeke :devil:

Yes, agreed and I think Pentax really get it right with K-5, a big step forward from K-7 for me with all the new Sony sensor, ISO handling, AF and all the enhancement from K-7 :) I am a happy camper now.

How much is the pentax k-5 ranging from? Does it has an option for a battery grip?

The price you can check with Emjay (Distributor) Only can hint to you less than 2K;) Yes there is an option for batt grip:thumbsup:

Yes k5 is a very good buy & it turned out to be cheaper than D7000 though overseas price is the other way round. :cool:

Yes k5 is a very good buy & it turned out to be cheaper than D7000 though overseas price is the other way round. :cool:

Check out high iso comparison between K5/D700/D7000:

K5vsD700vsD7000.jpg

Since I have it, I might as well try using it. :)
Found a good opportunity to put ISO12800 to use.

Fun at the Waterfront Park (Lower Seletar)

Pentax K5 ISO12800 f2.8 1/800
5131401181_f77812b234_b.jpg

Last edited: