GIMP vs Photoshop

Which image software do you use more?

Results are only viewable after voting.

I've been using GIMP since pre-2.0 versions, when it was quite buggy (on Windows) and features were poor. With 2.2, frankly you can do most of the things you need other than colour management and CMYK separation.

Brush management is poorer than PS (I'm always impressed when I see a PS user scaling a brush like magic..) but the next release has reasonable brush scaling (2.3.xx development versions, which are currently quite stable on Windows). The most popular raw plugin, UFRaw, is very good, and has improved dramatically over the past months. It now includes an excellent denoiser, and it's interpolation routines are state of the art.

I'm not willing to pay for PS, in part because I'm proficient enough with GIMP that I can do all that I need. At $0, I can run one (legal) copy per PC/laptop at home and work ;).

I have switched to PS Elements 5.0. I think it's good enough for me. I could do things much faster than with GIMP.

Linux.com :: Unshaking and refocusing your photos
Whether by wind, vibration, or shaky hand, we have all taken blurry photos. But in the digital era, there is no need to despair -- you can remove shake and ...
www.linux.com/feature/124567 - 55k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

chk out this article features the refocus plugin for gimp

Trust me. With my many years of experience, opt for Photoshop. If you're budget tight can also go for Photoshop Element.

Adobe Certified Instructor | Photoshop Instructor | 98162062

Trust me. With my many years of experience, opt for Photoshop. If you're budget tight can also go for Photoshop Element.

Trust my wallet. With my many years of experience. Most ppl dun even know half the features in Photoshop. Stripped down versions of image editors are plenty. elements is one of them.

heh dun be offended though. dun want to escalate into flame war. but just pointing out there's more than one way to skin a cat.

i like elements too esp cos its given free with my previous camera. but there's plenty that gimp can offer as well. especially if you can program in python.

Just a quick check. Let's say if you are selling your photographs online through some stocking website. Can you use GIMP to process your images and sell them legally? I mean, does the $0/- mean that you can only use it for personal purposes and not commercial? I know some freeware actually states that it is free only as long as you don't use it for commercial purposes. How about GIMP, anybody know?

Just a quick check. Let's say if you are selling your photographs online through some stocking website. Can you use GIMP to process your images and sell them legally? I mean, does the $0/- mean that you can only use it for personal purposes and not commercial? I know some freeware actually states that it is free only as long as you don't use it for commercial purposes. How about GIMP, anybody know?

gosh..
GIMP is free and very much freer than you think
see here if u wanna know details it explains the G in GIMP
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

you can use gimp anyway u like!

No offence, but GIMP has caught up with PS in many ways.

What was true during your many years of experience may not hold true anymore.

I'm now busy learning script-fu!

Trust my wallet. With my many years of experience. Most ppl dun even know half the features in Photoshop. Stripped down versions of image editors are plenty. elements is one of them.

heh dun be offended though. dun want to escalate into flame war. but just pointing out there's more than one way to skin a cat.

i like elements too esp cos its given free with my previous camera. but there's plenty that gimp can offer as well. especially if you can program in python.

That's why I'm in favour of Photoshop Element as well.

No offence, but GIMP has caught up with PS in many ways.

What was true during your many years of experience may not hold true anymore.

I'm now busy learning script-fu!

Thanks! But how many will be like you busy learning script-fu?

Thanks! But how many will be like you busy learning script-fu?

haha when there's enough to make a class?
then he be a Gnu certified Script-fu(ll) master Order of the DI society able to dispel the demons of bad images with a single line of command on X number of images where x is the limit of the computational hardware multiplied by the time limit ..

but seriously you make it sound as if PS has no learning curve. I must admit that PS is the industry standard hence once u pick it up its quite easy to learn new tricks but its learning curve is quite steep for newbies and oldies( meaning my elders)
even some of my friends have thrown their hands up in defeat for PS.

its largely like a microsoft linux debate. its easy to be exposed to one and not know the other and think it very unfrenly to newbies when i can't even master the popular one.

i think the best thing anyone can do is to learn both. and find unique uses for both. you can then become an instructor for anyone with PS experience wishing to migrate to GIMP. or vice versa depending on trends. PS is here to stay no worries but watch out for GIMP..

Guys, another Gimp user here (on the Mac).

The only gripe I have so far is the lack of up-to-date tutorials and documentation. The stuff on the web is mostly from very old versions of Gimp.

Are there books out there (up to date version)?

The only gripe I have so far is the lack of up-to-date tutorials and documentation. The stuff on the web is mostly from very old versions of Gimp.

Cool!
well i guess its best the coders spend more time on the code than write documentation.. and let users write documentation.

what do you need to know?
I see what i can do to help

btw talk about fast.. the liquid rescale plugin for gimp is here http://www.ghuj.com/blog/the-gimp-plugins/liquid-rescale-gimp-plugin.html

PS users sorry.
A Photoshop plug-in version of Liquid Resize is expected to be available in the middle of 2008. Pricing has not yet been announced for the final version of ...
www.ononesoftware.com/press/release331_20080117.php - 19k -

if you are nice to me maybe i help u liquid rescale your images for ya ..

For everyone's info:

Gimp 2.4 now has colour management, ICC colour profiles, 16/32 bit formats, scalable brushes, healing tool, iWarp (PS liquefy) and a whole lot more. Batch processing (PS Actions) is also quite easily done via scripts, as I have mentioned in another thread.

PS and it's free.

Check it out:

http://www.gimp.org/release-notes/gimp-2.4.html

I am so glad that there are GIMP users like me. I thought of getting CS3 but it was too expensive and my PC was not that fast. I started using GIMP late last year. At first, it was frustrating following the Photoshop tutorials. The most complicated tutorial that I have tried was using channels. Do you know that GIMP have a "lab color mode"? I rather say that it is conversion.

Anyone, GIMP 2.4 is great (for that price). However, the learning curve is abit steep.

Hey, I read that we should have a thread for GIMP questions etc. I want. I want.
If nobody starts one, I will start one :)

Hi. I found one recently at the National Library. I am going to start reading (or practising) this CNY holiday. Hmm... Not really the latest but it was the best I could find. I will update again after reading it. I hope that it would help me to understand more of GIMP's tools so that I can tackle most of the Photoshop's tutorial.

The book is "Beginning GMIP: From Novice to Professional" by Akkana Peck. :)

Well photoshop is pretty expensive. I attended the course on photoshop at NTUC learning Hub and I did use Photoshop for about a year. It is user friedly no doubt but certain features are very complex. I have been using for about 6mths now and find it more simpler. Paitn shoop is also a very handy tool for editing. I am a photographer operating from home but there is not much support I receive from customers. If you need a photographer for any event do let me know so I can share my knowledge with other members. you can view my photos in multiply.com, flickr I have done many indoor and outdoor events all posted in this sites. take a look and do reply to me o.k. Indoor shooting is not difficult you have to use the manual function to achieve clear lighting.

hey friend

tks for the info. I am using GIMP for pretty long time. I am a photographer myself. my photos are in multiply.com and flickr do check it out. I hope you can also recommend others customers to me . I believe you do. You can help a poor soul to survive. I am 50 and will be retiring soon but I am not getting enough support for my photography since I am operating from home. Most of the assignments I did is thru recommendations from frens online and customers. so you can also recommend to me. check out my quality in my website and let other know so people can trust me. If you have frens or know anybody who needs a photographer do send me a mail elephant18@gmail.com you can also earn a commission if I make an income. tks friend.