GIMP vs Photoshop

Which image software do you use more?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mac OS X .. hmm if ppl wanna run X11 on that i guess there are ppl who like X11 then? :bsmilie:
strangely, when i used PS I kinda arranged the toolbar outside of the app window so that part of the pic doesn't get hidden behind the toolbar. its one of those quirks in PS i never understand. When i used GIMP it dawned on me I wasn't the only one with that problem. having the toolbar as a separate window saves me the trouble of pressing tab to hide them when i need to work on the image. .. alas gimp is not perfect.. often times i wish the darn toolbar window is smaller like PS's.. but at least its resizable lah..

The only time I run X11 apps on my Mac is when there's no other choice (example: the rdesktop app that allowed Mac OS X to connect to Windows servers running Remote Desktop - now obseleted by a native app by Microsoft) because I would always prefer to run apps with a native Mac OS GUI. 99% of Mac users don't even know that it's possible to run X11 Unix apps. It's cool to have the option though.

Anyway... my point before all of us got involved in all this geekery, still remains that on Windows Paint.NET is much more user friendly than The GIMP.

The only time I run X11 apps on my Mac is when there's no other choice (example: the rdesktop app that allowed Mac OS X to connect to Windows servers running Remote Desktop - now obseleted by a native app by Microsoft) because I would always prefer to run apps with a native Mac OS GUI. 99% of Mac users don't even know that it's possible to run X11 Unix apps. It's cool to have the option though.

Anyway... my point before all of us got involved in all this geekery, still remains that on Windows Paint.NET is much more user friendly than The GIMP.

Hahah dun get me started on what 99% of Mac users dun know.. :bsmilie: anyway its up to every individual lah..
and my point is that PS / Paint.net and other similar clones are user friendly cos the users have gone thru the same learning curve already. If a newbie comes along and asks for a free photoshop alternative. I would recommend GIMP. especially if you are interested in making web buttons and stuff like that..

I guess all those years I've spent with Solaris and Mac OS X have been wasted :(

I never said GIMP uses X11 on Windows - I said it's a port of a Unix/X11 application. I should have said Linux. Excuse me.

This is semantics and it doesn't matter, my point was Gimp uses Windows native buttons and controls when you run it under windows (and it's not themeing, it uses the same GDI+ API as all other Windows applications).

Bottom line is most Windows and Mac users are accustomed to MDI style applications with one menu bar at the top of the screen that controls the foreground window, and this is not the way GIMP behaves.

I would disagree for the Mac part, having spent quite a lot of time using a Mac. Many applications, including Apple iWork suite in fact use a single menu bar, floating palettes and multiple windows for all documents open, much more like the Gimp than like Photoshop.
Besides, if MDI were the actual issue, people would just use Gimpshop. I think it is usually wrong to try to replace something that works well enough for you (including Photoshop). If you've paid the license already, and you enjoy the software, even if Gimp had more features, there's no reason why you should change.
Now if you want to use Gimp, it'll take you some time to get accustomed to the menus, the shortcuts, and eventually to create your own config, but if you believe it's worth the time investment because you don't wan to spend money on photoshop and you'd rather buy lenses instead why not ?

definitely ps. it's the best. there's a lot of room for creativity when you use ps:lovegrin:

have you compared GIMP and photoshop side by side? In particular, can you elaborate how PS allows more "room for creativity" than GIMP?

not trying to start a war, but your opinion begs these questions. Personally, I have used both, and both have their goods and bads. For instance GIMP's new selection tool is ages ahead the one in PS.

have you compared GIMP and photoshop side by side? In particular, can you elaborate how PS allows more "room for creativity" than GIMP?

not trying to start a war, but your opinion begs these questions. Personally, I have used both, and both have their goods and bads. For instance GIMP's new selection tool is ages ahead the one in PS.

lolz yeah i am curious how the answer to this might be as well!

was thinking of trying GIMP... downloaded at home but yet to play around.

Is there any sites that give some basic training or tips for GIMP?

Some tips for GIMP.

I am also new with GIMP, for something that is free, i have not much complains so far. Except that I still have difficulty installing the help menu.

Paint shop Pro 7 now no longer a product of Jac but Corel.
The best and most userfriendly period.

Been using psp7 for 6 years now for web designing and postprocessing.
The interface and functionality of this software i believe is still the cleaneset, simplest and not so intricate alike many Adobe softwares.

This program is very underrated in my humble opinion.
Having said that, we hardly can find any current resources (actions, brushes, patterns) for psp7 which is quite underwhelming. The results derived from psp is actually very much alike photoshop.

I may be biased cause ive not tried the new batched of CS and so on, but you all have to give PSP a try :D

i've started using GIMP recently because i don't have the CS3 with me overseas. i find that it is easy to use and very intuitive. after a few trials and errors, i manage to get what i wanted.

however, what i like to know is that, does GIMP provide the rotate feature when using the Crop tool? in CS3, you can rotate the crop rectangle before cropping the picture.

i've started using GIMP recently because i don't have the CS3 with me overseas. i find that it is easy to use and very intuitive. after a few trials and errors, i manage to get what i wanted.

however, what i like to know is that, does GIMP provide the rotate feature when using the Crop tool? in CS3, you can rotate the crop rectangle before cropping the picture.

hmmm i dun think so .. lemme chk .. but isnt it easy to rotate the pic before cropping?

hmmm i dun think so .. lemme chk .. but isnt it easy to rotate the pic before cropping?

different effects. rotating the crop rectangle gives better control. i read the manual too... didn't mentioned anything about this feature.

maybe should get someone to put this in since it is an open-source application.

different effects. rotating the crop rectangle gives better control. i read the manual too... didn't mentioned anything about this feature.

maybe should get someone to put this in since it is an open-source application.

hmmm yah can't do it tat way ..
the closest method is to select a rectangle area then use the rotate tool to rotate..

I rarely use photoshop for photo post-processing... adobe lightroom is much more user friendly and simple...