Friends of deceased at funeral get aggressive at media presence

it is too, unclear whether this aunty is part of the actual family, knows the family's feelings, or is merely championing her own impression of how things should be.

Dont be surprised the auntie doesn't know the family at all.... Singaporeans are a weird bunch, some sensational death happens.. all rush to attend the wake and funeral like they know the person. Example Huang Na... all the Singaporeans ah pek and aunties wailing at the funeral and donating "funeral expenses" to the family who happily went back to China and built a multi storey bungalow so they can be "closer" to Huang Na in Heaven. The girl that died in Mumbai terrorist attack, her wake like public funeral, even have movie stars come to attend.. say they share her hubby's grief.... errr well there are alot of accident victims, why not u share their grief too?? From what I see these bunch of fellows are gangsters. See the way they walked out of the carpark.... think they are in a gangster movie....

Dont be surprised the auntie doesn't know the family at all.... Singaporeans are a weird bunch, some sensational death happens.. all rush to attend the wake and funeral like they know the person. Example Huang Na... all the Singaporeans ah pek and aunties wailing at the funeral and donating "funeral expenses" to the family who happily went back to China and built a multi storey bungalow so they can be "closer" to Huang Na in Heaven. The girl that died in Mumbai terrorist attack, her wake like public funeral, even have movie stars come to attend.. say they share her hubby's grief.... errr well there are alot of accident victims, why not u share their grief too?? From what I see these bunch of fellows are gangsters. See the way they walked out of the carpark.... think they are in a gangster movie....

yes, you also often see this happening in clubsnap

the TS is perfectly ok when people tell him to google, or to check and learn himself but you have a bunch of singaporeans wailing in response to seniors bullying newbies. :bsmilie:

What makes you think the media were not far enough? Looking at the gang of the victim's friends, it is obvious they tried to act tough. Infact the police should have arrested them for harassing the media doing their work. If you are a photographer, all the more you should respect photojournalist who are merely doing their job.

omg. . it seems the media (these guys) dont know theres such thing as super telephoto photography- videographgy. want to video photo go further dunno how to go further isit??

What makes you think the media were not far enough? Looking at the gang of the victim's friends, it is obvious they tried to act tough. Infact the police should have arrested them for harassing the media doing their work. If you are a photographer, all the more you should respect photojournalist who are merely doing their job.

haha, you not scare these "friends" will see your post here and harass you later :sweat::sweat::sweat:

Although I dont really know the exact details of the incident, I must say that the kids who were 'guarding' the media got their brains all mixed up.

If they wanted to portray the deceased as innocent and maligned, this brazen act was the direct opposite. From a distance, it seems that he died because he murdered someone, not the other way around. His friends murdered him twice by disowning his integrity and his families'.

I dun think they have the rights to stop them from filming 2 road widths away afterall it's a public place. The media people are not naive. They told them not to touch them and jerk their camera but can talk nicely. I think these journalist/cameramen have seen it all and for all u know "more gansta" then those shouting teenagers(who dun speak on behalf of the family i guess).

Looking at Darren's friends, I am now not suprised the fight broke out in DTE. The measure of class is how one respond to adversity. Sorely lacking in this video evidently. This is our future generation?

these act-tough youngsters have not seen the real thing, like in Hong Kong or Taiwan. In Sg, you get only 2 cameramen from the ONE media co. In HK, you might get 50 cameramen, or maybe 200 of such "tough" youngsters in the procession. :sweat:

But again, in HK or Taiwan, no media co. would be interested in this type of incident because such incidents are so common and frequent there. Maybe our ONE media co has nothing much to report :dunno:

these act-tough youngsters have not seen the real thing, like in Hong Kong or Taiwan. In Sg, you get only 2 cameramen from the ONE media co. In HK, you might get 50 cameramen, or maybe 200 of such "tough" youngsters in the procession. :sweat:

But again, in HK or Taiwan, no media co. would be interested in this type of incident because such incidents are so common and frequent there. Maybe our ONE media co has nothing much to report :dunno:

hmmm reminds me of an incident. A Film shoot was going on in HK by one of our local cameraman. He had his eye to the viewfinder on one of the tougher streets of HK. The next thing he saw was a knife coming down on the camera and about 20 odd people approaching the crew. They instantly just picked up the things closest to them and ran. Apparently, the producer forgot to ask permission nicely to the local area mafia for permission. :dunno:

Do NOT mess with the real gangs in Taiwan. As told to me by the Taiwanese in my wife's company (predominantly Taiwanese).

Do NOT mess with the real gangs in Taiwan. As told to me by the Taiwanese in my wife's company (predominantly Taiwanese).

I was there before taking pictures from my PnS, there was like a group of people with stern faces looking at me. I looked back and smiled. Luckily they smiled back. Guess i was lucky then.

hmm.. just an alternative comment for your comsideration.

i heard many times the boys said "please..." perhaps the video title should not be "friends turned aggressive", but "media has total disregard towards appeals for privacy"

Last edited:

i heard many times the boys said "please..." perhaps the video title should not be "friends turned aggressive", but "media has total disregard towards appeals for privacy"

From the start of the video, the teens were asking in proper manner (not even shouting) that the video grapher leave them alone PLEASE. Not once but many times before they turn aggressive by shouting.

I beg to differ that they act tough just to be in the lime light but rather that they are frustrated that despite many proper attempt that respect (in the teens' point of view) be given to the dead. They are afterall human and there is a limit to ones patient. Right or Wrong, not for me to judge.

I am curious and would like to ask, does the video grapher have the right to film whatever they like as long as its a public area? Not sure if I am missing any fact but remember Princess Diana case where they hunt her till mis sharp happen?

May i ask anyone here who is familiar with the law, what rights is given to the press and to what extend can one protect their own privacy. As long shoot from far can liao?

I at home naked walking around and my neighbour choose to be busy body and look into my house then can sue me for indecency. But ppl choose to do hanky panky in PUBLIC car park and i look into the car and yet I be charge with peeping. Hmmm, i am very confuse with ones right to privacy.

privacy ... that could be debated.:)

put one cameraman downstairs to distract them while the rest go up to someone else's flat on 2nd floor, buy the flatowner kopi and shoot all they like from the privacy of the house.

Of course cameraman have a right to shoot since its on public land. but friends and family of course prefer that they don't. imagine your son just died, the last thing you want is for your wailing face to appear on cna (which in this case it did). Personally I prefer the media not to feed our kaypohness and give them their privacy.

If those people are smart enough, they would have every mourners attempted to cover up the moving hearse and the family members of the deceased with an umbrella from the paparazzis.

Last edited:
It does not matter the debate about privacy or public area.

From the papers I read, I pity the boy being brutally whack for a nonsensical reason. But what I saw on the news, I have 2nd thoughts of his innocence based on his friends reactions.

Yeah, we can be emotional but still be rationale. I maybe short sighted in my views and insensitive to the family from those statements but blame it on his friends.

Definitely not a smart move by them.:thumbsd: Kinda look like a bunch of Ah bengs.

The cameramen is doing their job and is not in any way impeding the funeral procession. He's no paparazzi. It's one of those job hazards for the cameramen.

One thing to remember for those with lotsa testosterone - don't eyeball at pple, ogling is ok, I guess.

Last edited:
typical teenage behaviour. When I am their age, I also act in unison and comradeship with my peers. Emotions can get stirred up easily within the group. One shout all will shout....haha...those were the days. I have seen a funeral of triads in Singapore. It really looks like those that you have seen in HK movies, no joke. With all the ceremonies but without the suits. I don't think the media will dare to film. This is a small group of teenagers bonding together and growing up. I don't think they are a malice.

Cameramen / papparazis get harrassed all the time. You see celebrities lash out at papas all the time. So I guess there are a certain risk to their job. I see very little value in this coverage though. Just a few quick snaps should do the job. I think the cameramen overstayed.

Actually I am more concerned based on what I read about secret societies. I read that the murderers were shouting slogan after their "victorious" fight. Maybe with the influx of foreigners, SS managed to recruit more vulnerable members. It's like back to the early 50-60s... Hope the police will tackle the bigger issue and not think this is an isolated incident.

Last edited:
If you are the cameramen, will you just pack up and go home when those boys started confronting them?

Would wearing a TCS/SPH vest help since it is an official media of Singapore?

this boy (i dun use guy cos he is immature enough to be called one) is famous liao

tauntjpg1288783778137-data.jpg

1. What his parents will think?
2. if he haven sure NS, go in NS sure tio marked, cos the age about there liao to enter NS
3. go out in the streets, potentially get challenged by other gangsters wannabe, or even real gangsters
4. strange stares from other strangers when go out on the streets
5. next time find job, how employers will see him? Eh this fella very familiar leh, where i saw him before.

tsk tsk