electrical enginners pls help !

Status
Not open for further replies.
u knoe i had a really funny incident once I switch the power rating on the P/S to 110v LoL the P/S blew up like exploded with sparks n smoke haha! but heng heng its the only thing that got damaged lol

Firefox said:
That shouldn't be the cause of the internal equipment being damaged actually.. Your equipment may have been damaged by a surge when you switched the PC on after that..
Me not really sure what's the cause of the problem.
But that's what roughly happened.

Brett said:
u knoe i had a really funny incident once I switch the power rating on the P/S to 110v LoL the P/S blew up like exploded with sparks n smoke haha! but heng heng its the only thing that got damaged lol

actually its easy to explain this with ohm's law...

in fact, when we switch from 220V to 110V, den using 220V power in, the load on the resistor & stuff in the P/S increase by 4 times not 2 times... so effectively, the 300w P/S become a 1200w P/S and without effective cooling, the rest of the things inside overheat & blow up... hence the smoke... besides... but it doesn't affect the mainboard & others because the P/S have its own cut off overload & fuse. thing that explains y...

but when your system does not have ground attached, the system may occassionally trip (unexplanable, personal experience, might be due to static)

1 way to try is when your system is earthed, you place your hand on the metal part of the system, like the back cover (not the cover with spray powder coat) den when u feel this static, most likely your system is not grounded. And strange thing is the harddisk normally get killed the 1st, follow by the mainboard...

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
1 way to try is when your system is earthed, you place your hand on the metal part of the system, like the back cover (not the cover with spray powder coat) den when u feel this static, most likely your system is not grounded. And strange thing is the harddisk normally get killed the 1st, follow by the mainboard...

Nope.. It's not static..

You can perform the following test if you have a digital multimeter (DMM):

Find a 2-pin corded device. Usually a DVD or VCD player or a VCR.
Place one probe of the DMM onto an exposed part of the chasis of the player.
Place the other probe to contact the earth pin on the mains socket.
Measure the voltage and note it down.
Now flip the 2-pin plug and repeat..

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
but when your system does not have ground attached, the system may occassionally trip (unexplanable, personal experience, might be due to static)

no, that is not static. don't blame everything on static. if your system does not have a proper ground, you may have a weak voltage on your chasiss. just use a test pen to touch the metal part of the chasis, the test pen will light up. this weak voltage on your chasiss subsequently will lead to some leakage current from your power supply. if this leakage current is big, the system will trip. it has nothing to do with static. and if u notice such weak voltage in your system, better check it out. something is faulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.