DSLR with built in memory: Yes or No

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
With built in memory, the prices of DSLRs will raise.
A 8gb sd card is much much cheaper than a 8gb internal disk.
For that, i will still go for the external cards. :D

THey can just incorporate a built in SD card that is invisible to the normal user :) Same price like that.

Most "built in" storage is actually external storage subsumed within the device. Microdrives, memory cards etc, have all been used before.

With built in memory, the prices of DSLRs will raise.
A 8gb sd card is much much cheaper than a 8gb internal disk.
For that, i will still go for the external cards. :D

With the megapixel race and dynamic range battles going on, memory will get bigger and bigger, so the internal memory stick will be like 100gb or something in the very near future.

Can you imagine how many photos will be lost if it malfunctions?

Remembered something about transfer speed and canon...

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS225770+03-Sep-2008+BW20080903

The first CFast cards were demonstrated at the Flash Memory Summit
in August.

Mr. Shigeto Kanda of Canon and the CFA chairman of the board said,
"The development of a CompactFlash card with a SATA interface will
maintain the dominance of CompactFlash in the non-consumer (embedded
systems, single board computers, data recorder, etc.) markets as well
as promote its use in other applications such as professional digital
SLR cameras, professional video cameras and mini-notebooks. Having the
SATA interface will be a significant step for CompactFlash."

mabbe e-sata from cam to PC isn't that far away. ;p

THey can just incorporate a built in SD card that is invisible to the normal user :) Same price like that.

Most "built in" storage is actually external storage subsumed within the device. Microdrives, memory cards etc, have all been used before.

You got a point there.
But i will still go for the external cards, more flexible. :D

I am sure with technological advancements, wireless transfer speed will increase. But for now, it might seem slow. ;p But don't worry, because with Canon, you can. :sweatsm: :bsmilie:

It's not only the speed, also the safety. With wireless one also needs to have security in mind. Otherwise you'll get the same silly situation like with many wireless routers and access points delivered, installed and run in standard default configuration = "open for all". Good if you want to share your pictures immediately :)
I'm not sure whether Canon or Nikon want to incorporate WLAN modules for WPA2 or the next standards. That will increase costs since it will be a 3rd party module. Not to mention necessary bugfixes due to software failures and exploits...

For the trigger happy 10fps shooter, it might take forever to copy 32GB of images over. LOL!

For people who are looking for integration and convenience, I hope it comes true someday. ;)

do you mean you will rather view your photo at the 3" LCD? as said above, all these photos have to come out of the camera one way or the other, no? or do you mean wireless connection is faster than card reader to transfer the 32GB?

I am sure with technological advancements, wireless transfer speed will increase. But for now, it might seem slow. ;p But don't worry, because with Canon, you can. :sweatsm: :bsmilie:

wireless will never catch up, when WLAN was at 11Mbps with 802.11b, the wired ethernet was 100Mbps; when 802.11g go 54Mbps, the wired smoke it at 1Gbps; up until today, the wireless IEEE still couldn't make up thier mind on the 802.11n spec with ~600Mbps and manufacturer decided to introduce their own MIMO of ~300Mbps, the wired ethernet already roll out the 10GbE--a 10Gbps connection.

if the camera maker decided to put a TB storage in their camera, I would take a wired anytime. wireless connection never perform close to their advertise speed, eg. 11b could do less than 5Mbps in rea world, 54g below 22mbps and pre-n at ~100mbps. the wired OTH, can do 90% of the actual bandwidth. wireless also will never be as reliable and secured as their wired bro.

I'll leave all the bugs and whining for the early adopters to discover but for now, if Canon can squeeze for me a little 16GB built in memory for my future 5D Mark III, I am totally sold. To sweeten the deal, a CF/SD card slot for those with memory card fetish. LOL!

do you mean you will rather view your photo at the 3" LCD? as said above, all these photos have to come out of the camera one way or the other, no? or do you mean wireless connection is faster than card reader to transfer the 32GB?

wireless will never catch up, when WLAN was at 11Mbps with 802.11b, the wired ethernet was 100Mbps; when 802.11g go 54Mbps, the wired smoke it at 1Gbps; up until today, the wireless IEEE still couldn't make up thier mind on the 802.11n spec with ~600Mbps and manufacturer decided to introduce their own MIMO of ~300Mbps, the wired ethernet already roll out the 10GbE--a 10Gbps connection.

if the camera maker decided to put a TB storage in their camera, I would take a wired anytime. wireless connection never perform close to their advertise speed, eg. 11b could do less than 5Mbps in rea world, 54g below 22mbps and pre-n at ~100mbps. the wired OTH, can do 90% of the actual bandwidth. wireless also will never be as reliable and secured as their wired bro.
I used to freelance for Bloomberg news for a while and they loaned me a couple of 1D Mark IIs with Canon wireless setup and a laptop. I was covering an event and my images were transferred wireless to a photo editor on-site and on the fly who put captions to them, then passed them to the editor back at HQ somewhere miles away and then finally sent to print. News brought to you on the fly mate. That was done 3 years ago and with current technology now, it should be much faster. :what: Get it?

In other words, I didn't even had a chance to view my on my LCD so why the heck would I want to anyway? :dunno:

My point was, with the current memory storage getting so cheap, would you like to have a built-in memory for your camera? :cool:

I think external memory card is better. With that, we can upgrade to faster card when the technology improved. And also making sharing and transfering easier since you can pass the external card around. So I think removeable 2TB SSD will be ideal.

It's not only the speed, also the safety. With wireless one also needs to have security in mind. Otherwise you'll get the same silly situation like with many wireless routers and access points delivered, installed and run in standard default configuration = "open for all". Good if you want to share your pictures immediately :)
I'm not sure whether Canon or Nikon want to incorporate WLAN modules for WPA2 or the next standards. That will increase costs since it will be a 3rd party module. Not to mention necessary bugfixes due to software failures and exploits...
There are some who refuse to read the manual and nobody else can help them. But anyway... wireless is going to be fun!

Last edited:
I think external memory card is better. With that, we can upgrade to faster card when the technology improved. And also making sharing and transfering easier since you can pass the external card around. So I think removeable 2TB SSD will be ideal.
I get nervous every time I remove my 8GB card out of my camera because sometimes I have butterfingers especially when I excited to process them. Imagine a 2TB SSD dropped on the floor after a days shoot. :sweat:

How about 2 memory slots like what the top end Canon and nikon is having? So you can leave 1 card in the cam.

I get nervous every time I remove my 8GB card out of my camera because sometimes I have butterfingers especially when I excited to process them. Imagine a 2TB SSD dropped on the floor after a days shoot. :sweat:

Don't worry bro. With SSD, there is no moving part inside. You will have to 'drop' really hard to damage it. ;)

I hate carrying CF cards because sometimes I even forget to bring them. LOL! What do you think?
Keep one large in the camera and live with that one only.

I prefer exchangable and always have some spares with me. I also prefer not to have more then 4GB cards because in case the memory is corrupted (never happened to me, but could happen) then I'll only lose about 250 images instead of several thousand if I had a 2TB built in memory.

I am using a card reader to access my photos... so to me built-in memory is rather redundant to me... unless it don't add to the cost of the camera... :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.