doctor son throws cleaner mom out of the house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi eikin,

it's just that many people here have unrealistic views of doctors.

They expect doctors to be this, and that, and everything. However, if they take a look in the mirror, I wonder how many of them can live up to the expectations they expect from others?

Would they sacrifice what they expect others to sacrifice in their stead?

Why boycott the doctor when we only hear one side story? How do you know that the mother has did nothing wrong? Have you ever see how nasty a mother can be when she tried to win her son's heart?

Why nobody say anything abt the human resource manager yet keep pin point at the doctor? You would you know whether if she had gave the doctor a hard time which force him to throw his mom things out?

The more I read this post the more ridiculous it gets.

Hi eikin,

it's just that many people here have unrealistic views of doctors.

They expect doctors to be this, and that, and everything. However, if they take a look in the mirror, I wonder how many of them can live up to the expectations they expect from others?

Would they sacrifice what they expect others to sacrifice in their stead?

i think probably only you and tetrode are quarelling over the expectation of doctors, shouldn't the unfilial act mentioned in the article be the main issue? :confused: who cares whether doctor should be this or that, there are good doctors, there are bad doctors too. there are doctors whom i have lots of respect for, there are also doctors whom i think ought to burn their licenses, but that's not the issue here.

Nope, I was never a drug rep. But I do know a lot of doctors. So I know the other side of the story. ;)

Tetrode, you have to be reasonable on this.

MOST, not all, doctors choose medicine because of humanitarian reasons as one of their motivating factors.

However, doctors are human too. They want the best for their wives, kids and themselves, just like you would. If it means migrating to a better place where there is less crime, drugs, violence, better education, better prospects.... What would YOU choose?

Nobody has the right to tell them how to lead their lives. Would you sacrifice the future of your family and your personal happiness?

Why boycott the doctor when we only hear one side story? How do you know that the mother has did nothing wrong? Have you ever see how nasty a mother can be when she tried to win her son's heart?

Why nobody say anything abt the human resource manager yet keep pin point at the doctor? You would you know if she had gave the doctor a hard time which force him to throw his mom things out?

The more I read this post the more ridiculous it gets.

No matter what the situation was before the split, the fact is that he threw his mum out on her bum. He could have and should have handled the situation better.

No matter what the situation was before the split, the fact is that he threw his mum out on her bum. He could have and should have handled the situation better.
You are not in their shoe and you dun know the exact situation. How can u give tat conclusion? How you know the plastic bag is thrown out by the doctor and not by the human resource manager?

i think probably only you and tetrode are quarelling over the expectation of doctors, shouldn't the unfilial act mentioned in the article be the main issue? :confused: who cares whether doctor should be this or that, there are good doctors, there are bad doctors too. there are doctors whom i have lots of respect for, there are also doctors whom i think ought to burn their licenses, but that's not the issue here.

True.

Somehow that became a second issue. Let's get back on track then..

Tetrode, you have to be reasonable on this.

MOST, not all, doctors choose medicine because of humanitarian reasons as one of their motivating factors.

However, doctors are human too. They want the best for their wives, kids and themselves, just like you would. If it means migrating to a better place where there is less crime, drugs, violence, better education, better prospects.... What would YOU choose?

Nobody has the right to tell them how to lead their lives. Would you sacrifice the future of your family and your personal happiness?

Then they are not the right stuff for the job and should have made way for others. Perhaps others with lesser academic results but with of better moral character - people willing the make the sacrifice.

Heaven forbid if our soldiers were to think the same way - and upped and left their positions during a war.

True.

Somehow that became a second issue. Let's get back on track then..

and i think this is where the crux of the matter lies

quoted from the article http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,123403,00.html?

'' When contacted, Madam Tan's son, who is in his early 30s, did not dispute what his mother had said.

He said: 'At no point was the old woman coerced into selling the flat. She had told me my father wanted me to have it when I settled down.'

His wife is a senior human resource manager and the couple, who married in 2002, have a 4-month-old son.

He said: 'My wife did not like the idea of the old woman cleaning tables at the food court, especially after she had bumped into her one day, while she was having lunch with her colleagues.

'Sometimes, I feel like I'm caught between the devil and the deep blue sea. I had told the old woman to quit her cleaner job but she refused to comply. How should I approach such a delicate situation?

'She said I hurt her. Ask her, what about me? How does she think I felt when she told me through a third party that she had made up her mind to file a claim with the tribunal?'

But Madam Tan does not want to embarrass him. She spoke to us only after we agreed not to identify her son.

She said she would often wait outside his work place, hoping to get a word with him.

'I even pretended I was sick and went in as a patient, but my son sent me away with the empty promise that he would contact me,' she said. ''

You are not in their shoe and you dun know the exact situation. How can u give tat conclusion? How you know the plastic bag is thrown out by the doctor and not by the human resource manager?

The act of throwing out the bag is irrevalent,the doctor(her son) still has the choice to deal with the situation after the fact - like giving her back her property or buying a flat to live in rather than leaving her high and dry.

Then they are not the right stuff for the job and should have made way for others. Perhaps others with lesser academic results but with of better moral character - people willing the make the sacrifice.

Heaven forbid if our soldiers were to think the same way - and upped and left their positions during a war.

Would you be willing to make such a sacrifice?

Would you be willing to make such a sacrifice?

If given a choice of moving to the outback (and away from the hustle and bustle of the city) - I would actually. :)

Actually it wouldn't be a sacrifice at all.

If given a choice of moving to the outback (and away from the hustle and bustle of the city) - I would actually. :)

Actually it wouldn't be a sacrifice at all.

Have you considered signing up at the new Duke university for medicine in Singapore?

it seems to me the mother in the article came from a low income family background and had little education. she's probably not quite tuned to the pace of the modern executive lifestyle. the daughter-in-law seems like an unforgiving, arrogant and self-centred woman with little sympathy for those who cannot reach her level of sophistication. the son seems like an ungrateful son, though who loves his wife, chose to be a weakling to shut the problem out. if this man is reading this forum, i would like to tell him no matter how out of sync his mother is with respect to this society, it is his responsibility to bridge the difference between his mother and wife. a son who do not know his responsibility towards his parents is as good as a *******. if the wife is so difficult a person, what would she do to her husband if her husband becomes old and senile? my grandmother is over 80 years of age and in good health, and still insist on taking care of my grandfather at home who has lost his ability to walk and talk. despite all the complaints she has for him, she never had the idea of putting him in a nursing home. i doubt the daughter-in-law in the article is capable of such kindness.

Have you considered signing up at the new Duke university for medicine in Singapore?

Alas, if I was academically fit for the job, I would BUT unfortunately I am not. :(

Plus a genetic aversion to the sight of blood also rules this out. I had hoped of become a vet in my younger days (thanks to James Herriot) but a week of watching castrations while on work experience in a vet clinic confirmed that cutting things up wasn't my thing. sigh.

B A S T A R D . . .

What a sad thing to do... I wonder how will he ever explain this to his child?

it seems to me the mother in the article came from a low income family background and had little education. she's probably not quite tuned to the pace of the modern executive lifestyle. the daughter-in-law seems like an unforgiving, arrogant and self-centred woman with little sympathy for those who cannot reach her level of sophistication. the son seems like an ungrateful son, though who loves his wife, chose to be a weakling to shut the problem out. if this man is reading this forum, i would like to tell him no matter how out of sync his mother is with respect to this society, it is his responsibility to bridge the difference between his mother and wife. a son who do not know his responsibility towards his parents is as good as a *******. if the wife is so difficult a person, what would she do to her husband if her husband becomes old and senile? my grandmother is over 80 years of age and in good health, and still insist on taking care of my grandfather at home who has lost his ability to walk and talk. despite all the complaints she has for him, she never had the idea of putting him in a nursing home. i doubt the daughter-in-law in the article is capable of such kindness.

Hi eikin,

again, that's based on one side of the story.....we're still lacking information from the other parties involved...

Don't let's cast the first stone...

Alas, if I was academically fit for the job, I would BUT unfortunately I am not. :(

Plus a genetic aversion to the sight of blood also rules this out. I had hoped of become a vet in my younger days but a week of watching castrations while on work experience in a vet clinic confirmed that cutting things up wasn't my thing. sigh.

Have to try, don't try, you'll never find out....

Aversion to blood happens to EVERYBODY. Took me a week or so to get over it, plain sailing after that...

Hi eikin,

again, that's based on one side of the story.....we're still lacking information from the other parties involved...

Don't let's cast the first stone...

please read post #209

how much fact do you need before you can make a comment on such a situation? or do you prefer to keep quiet? yanking in this forum will do little to help those involved, but at least it helps in exchanging of personal views, hopefully everyone takes something back as food for thought.

btw, going by your reasoning, no Singaporean citizen not belonging to the parliament should speak/discuss of anything related to national policies and laws, simply because they are not in the know of the workings in the parliament.

add one more example, it's like saying that no one is allowed to make a comment on a piece of photographic work as long as that person is not with the photographer at the scene when the work is created.

Have to try, don't try, you'll never find out....

Aversion to blood happens to EVERYBODY. Took me a week or so to get over it, plain sailing after that...

Hmm, really?! That is news to me. I'll go look it up on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.