D90 vs D300 Nightshoot ISO3200 w/o crop

Status
Not open for further replies.
One very important difference that seems to be overlooked on this subject, MEMORY CARDS!!! I have 2 D70s’s that I have used for years with great success. Those 70’s used “Compact Flash”. When it came time to update to D80 the SD memory cards were not as cheap or great to carry with Compact Flash. I decided to wait. Until the release of the D300, ONLY THE PRO HIGH END CAMERAS USED COMPACT FLASH. EVER ASK WHY??? Besides winning over point and shoot camera people with there collections of sd cards from their last purchase I mean.

SD (Secure Digital) = 9 pin Interface = 4bit data transfer bus
CF (Compact Flash) = 50 pin Interface = 16bit data transfer bus

As cameras push the limit on frames per second, rolling shutter jello videos and MEGA pixels, bigger cards are needed. I say if you ask your employers what your "TIME" is worth, $ wise, why not ask yourself what it’s worth to you? Forget the camera price difference. You will make it up in time. I’m out shooting a sunset wile someone with SD cards is still waiting to download massive gegs taken at 4 frames per second through a usb port. I purchased the D300 for the same reason I got rid of my tape and floppy drives in my PC years ago. TO SLOW!!!!! I have had people argue with me that SD is smaller and weighs less? Smaller just means I could loose them easier. WEIGHT??? You must be kidding me? Just my opinion. The D90 is an incredible camera too!!! If it used Compact Flash it would have been a tougher decision for me at least. Firewire readers = fast downloads.

Last edited:
One very important difference that seems to be overlooked on this subject, MEMORY CARDS!!! I have 2 D70s’s that I have used for years with great success. Those 70’s used “Compact Flash”. When it came time to update to D80 the SD memory cards were not as cheap or great to carry with Compact Flash. I decided to wait. Until the release of the D300, ONLY THE PRO HIGH END CAMERAS USED COMPACT FLASH. EVER ASK WHY??? Besides winning over point and shoot camera people with there collections of sd cards from their last purchase I mean.

SD (Secure Digital) = 9 pin Interface = 4bit data transfer bus
CF (Compact Flash) = 50 pin Interface = 16bit data transfer bus

As cameras push the limit on frames per second, rolling shutter jello videos and MEGA pixels, bigger cards are needed. I say if you ask your employers what your "TIME" is worth, $ wise, why not ask yourself what it’s worth to you? Forget the camera price difference. You will make it up in time. I’m out shooting a sunset wile someone with SD cards is still waiting to download massive gegs taken at 4 frames per second through a usb port. I purchased the D300 for the same reason I got rid of my tape and floppy drives in my PC years ago. TO SLOW!!!!! I have had people argue with me that SD is smaller and weighs less? Smaller just means I could loose them easier. WEIGHT??? You must be kidding me? Just my opinion. The D90 is an incredible camera too!!! If it used Compact Flash it would have been a tougher decision for me at least. Firewire readers = fast downloads.
Chillax... The fact is SD card writing speeds are much closer to CF card standards already. A basic, slower SD card is not certainly cheaper than comparable CF cards (hello mass market!) and it's only the high-end ones like SanDisk's Extreme III cards that cost as expensive as comparable CF cards and also come close to writing speeds. :)

talking about the AF on the D300 being much faster than the D90? how much faster is it? is it so much different that D90 is not fast enough for sports? i suppose it does not affect AFS lenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.